Okay so I'm pretty newb to the whole of everything guitar related so if i could have some questions cleared up that would be splendid. Oh and I'm sorry if there's already a thread like this I dont really know what to search for it under specifically as far as titles would go.

Alright so first question I figure is I've seen alot about pedals on here and I'm sorta confused so basically...What the hell does a pedal do for your playing? If i had to answer i think all i've really understood is that it adds an effect such as wah or flanger. But the amp I'm looking at buying is the Line6 Spider IV and its got a ton of effects built in.

Another thing, I was hoping I could get some input into what would be better a marshall or the line6? I've done a little digging and all the great metal guitarists that I listen to use marshall and its the genre I am most interested in playing.
what's your budget, what type of music do you play?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by makaveli864
What spider amp are getting

L2read?
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Well assuming your budget is relatively low, the Spider IV is loads better than the Marshall MG, which is probably the only Marshall in your price range. BUT I believe a much better choice would be a Roland Cube 30x. It may not have as much effects/amp channels, but tone wise, it is excellent.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Without a large budget, you won't be getting the same marshall amps as your heroes. Think of it like the difference between a Dodge Neon and a Dodge SRT-10 Viper. Same name on the bumper, TOTALLY different thing.
About the pedals, you've hit the nail on the head.
Quote by larrytheguitar
Well assuming your budget is relatively low, the Spider IV is loads better than the Marshall MG, which is probably the only Marshall in your price range. BUT I believe a much better choice would be a Roland Cube 30x. It may not have as much effects/amp channels, but tone wise, it is excellent.

Great suggestion. Good tone > multiple effects. I mean, how many effects will you really need for a solid metal tone?
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
from what your looking at i'm assuming your budget is low. All the low end marshall equipment isn't very good for the low price range in comparison to competing brands (So yeah their high end amps are great, but a lot of their cheaper stuff isn't as good as other companies cheap stuff).

please give a budget.

I would avoid the line 6 and cheap marshall products (particularly the MG series amps)

The line 6 pedal will basically hook up to that amp (and only that amp, no other so if you upgrade its useless) and allow you to switch channels and turn on certain effects.

EDIT: Roland cube is an excellent choice, I still use mine as a low volume practice amp.
Last edited by firebird103 at Jul 5, 2010,
Yep, lower end Marshall stuff is absolutly nothing like the proper Marshall stuff. I personally wouldn't bother with anything new and Marshall. Nobody should bother with the MG series stuff at all though. I assume that's the amp you're looking at. It'll sound nothing like the Marshalls that your idols use.

Line 6 spider IV is probably a slightly better amp than the MG, still pretty bad though.

If you have a low budget and you like all the built in effects, then look at the Peavey Vypyr, and the Roland Cube, as has been mentioned. Also, maybe a Vox Valvetronix.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
PEEVEE VYPYR!!!!111

but seriously, yeah i recommend the vypyr's.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Quote by larrytheguitar

I wouldn't say that. I'd say that the MG is marginally better than a spider IV but both are total rubbish. Crap is crap, it matters little what animal it dropped out of.

Give us a budget, location and styles you want to play mainly and we can start to make suggestions for you.

PS: that was my 5 cents. Five cents is the smallest coin there is over here.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 5, 2010,
I played a cube at the store, and it really surprised me. Sounded really good actually. A bit bland, but still had a full tone and much more crushing overdrive than an MG, but less bees in the can compared to a Line6 Spider.
I'm sorry I didnt give a budget. It might sound a bit silly but I don't plan on buying an amp anytime soon more likely in 6+ months now i know its crazy to be looking so early since theres always new models coming out but pretty much money wont be an issue [unless they are outrageously expensive i.e $2000+ highest i've seen so far is $1200]

As for music I'm not quite there yet [only been playing for 5 months] I'm hoping to get into Megadeth soon. I havent knocked out any 'Tallica or Slayer songs out but out of the songs i've looked at megadeth's have just about made me give up tryin to play that song as soon as I've looked at the tabs.

Oh and I'm not sure if Marshall has any effects with their amps do they? So I would have to get some sorta effects pedal to play the whole wah and flanger crap that kirk likes to use.
Seek out a Laney GH100TI when you're ready. Phenomenal metal amp.

Expect to be flooded with Peavey 6505 suggestions.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If money isn't an issue, then you're stupid for looking at such cheap amps, even if you know nothing about amps, that's just common sense.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by Cathbard

Expect to be flooded with Peavey 6505 suggestions.

OK, i'll go first.

Get a Peavey 6505.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
with that kind of budget you could get something really really nice. You should definitely get a tube amp. If money isn't an option definitely do not buy a crappy solid state amp. It will sound like garbage and you will outgrow in within a couple months at most.

If you really are set on a marshall, I would look at the JCM series, the 800 being the best imo, the 900 and 2000 are pretty good to. (the 2000 is a bit overrated imo)

I would also look at the Peavey 5150, 5150 II, or 6505. Along with the Peavey XXX and the Peave Ultra.

Laney, Bugera, Orange, and Mesa would all be very good companies to look at. (Mesa being my preferance)

You really need to do your homework on this one. Look up all the amps I listed, and do some more research on some over the other brands. Try searching on youtube for reviews and sample. And check out harmonycentral.com for reviews.They all make lots of amps in lots of different price ranges. Narrow your list down with better amps to say like 3 or 5. Then either report back here with said list/and or goto your local store and play said amps.
Last edited by handbanana at Jul 5, 2010,
Amps aren't ipads. The good stuff is out already. Ur not gonna get more megaflops of valve distortion if u wait 6 months.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by handbanana
the 2000 is a bit overrated imo

I don't like your opinion too much sir everyone is a critic but thats ok.

on topic. Mesa's are amazing amps if you have that much money, but i've seen some pretty terrible ones due to improper care/use especially @ guitar center.

realistically though, since no one wants to shell out that much and judging by you saying your new to guitar, I wouldn't spend that much and i'd get a cheap amp because you probably don't need some godly amp yet anyways.

+1 to the peavy amp suggestions except i recommend getting a combo amp, not the head/cab just because i get the feeling you really want to keep things simple right now.
well the JCM 2000 is certainly a good amp, but to me it was just a let down compared to the 800 and even the 900.