Alright, iv been playing upright bass in an orchestra for about 6-7 years now and bass guiatar for round 2 and i think im not bad but i listen and play ALL different kinda of music and my band plays all different kinds.
I have a Peavey Millenium (i love it dearly) and id like to know how i could really get a good sound for all the different styles i play. I've also got a Boss me 20b pedal board whcih helps a lil wif my sound.
THE POINT IS i always see guitars with toggle switches and was wondering if theyr worth it and if they rly worked if i got a toggle switch and different pickups like one rly bright and poppy and another mellower/deeper. OR if the lil knob on my bass that effects the tone a bit is good enough. ALSO iv had my marshal combo amp also for two years and ii barely know what any of the knobs do, i just shred (or try) regardless what all the knobs are on and my guitarist helps me a bit.
any other suggestions on getting different sounds for my baby would be VERY appreciated
usually the tone knob effects overall tone, and is useful in its own right. the toggle switch allows you to more drastically affect tone by changing pickups, more importantly, where they are picking up noise (closer to bridge=more treble, neck=more bass). so, you could do any of the methods you described to alter your tone really, there is no wrong way.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
play around with those knobs on your amp. When you figure out how they work 75% of all your tone problems will be solved.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Well figuring out your amp would be a good start, since the vast majority of your tone comes from your amp.

As for your Peavey, you don't need a toggle switch. You have two volume knobs on your bass, one for each pickup. You can turn one pickup's volume completely off, or you can mix them, so there is no need for a pickup selector toggle switch. The tone knob on your bass simply cuts your treble, you can keep all your treble for a brighter, snappier sound, or you can roll it off for a more muddy, bass-y tone.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
Well figuring out your amp would be a good start, since the vast majority of your tone comes from your amp.

As for your Peavey, you don't need a toggle switch. You have two volume knobs on your bass, one for each pickup. You can turn one pickup's volume completely off, or you can mix them, so there is no need for a pickup selector toggle switch. The tone knob on your bass simply cuts your treble, you can keep all your treble for a brighter, snappier sound, or you can roll it off for a more muddy, bass-y tone.

ahhh! thanks i didnt realize that each nob is a different pickup! that helps ALOT! any suggestions on any pickups? like if i wanted a bigger change between the two pickups any specific brands that have different sounds?