Well, summer is finally here, and It's time to relax from school, kick back, and play guitar. However, the weather is gorgeous outside, about 35 degrees celsus. It's pretty hot, for all you Americans out there who are only familiar with farenheit.
Anyways, is playing yourr acoustic guitar outside in the sun a good idea or a bad one? I wouldn't be playing for long, mabye an hour under the tree in front of the house. My guitar is laminate, if that helps. I'm mostly worried about the wood warping, so I guess that info could help. It's laminate spruce, to be exact. Thanks alot, and enjoy your summer
Its probably mainly the humidity that would hurt it, so if there isn't much of that it should be ok, but even still, shade would help. I wouldn't think you'd want to be right in the sun anyway.
Obsession! Obsessive! Obsessed! Abscess!
I do it all the time and i hav'nt noticed anything wrong with my guitar. If you left it sitting out in the sun for hours that might be a problem. But i wouldnt be too worried doing what you're doin
you might run into some tuning problems but nothing big if you're not storing it in direct sunlight.
It's usually humidity and cold that affects the wood, I wouldn't be too worried about it. Last year I took my guitar to a summer camp, it was outside most of the day, and in the evening we all sat around a big (Very Hot) campfire, and I had my guitar there as well. So I wouldn't worry about it. But as stated earlier, leaving it in the sun for hour after hour might not be the best idea, at least not repeatedly.
I Play guitar outside a lot actually. Very relaxing and stuff. Just be sure that the temperatures aren't extreme nor is the humidity. Sitting in the shade should help with that, and plus, your guitar is laminate; it shouldn't hurt it. You'll be all set I believe.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
i've been told that hide glue softens at 140 degrees f, and other glues often soften when hot. if you spend long sessions playing in the hot sun, or leave your guitar sitting in it, your guitar could indeed experience softened glue which could affect the joints, bridge and bracing of your guitar.

if you're uncomfortably hot, your guitar may be, too.

sitting in the shade is a good way to enjoy your guitar without risking it - either that or playing a beater.
As patticake says.... "Hide" glues can become soft under heat. Barney Kessel had a Spanish-made classical guitar literally fly apart while trying to play under hot studio lights on an old TV show.
Most modern guitars are made with much tougher synthetic glues and this should not be a problem.
Likewise, modern polymer finishes are very tough and should not be affected.
dude thats what acoustics are for i leave mine in my car like 70% of the time and take it with me everywhere I go. I ust to be really concerned about it to but i finaly figured its pointless to have it unless ur not gonna go and have fun,and when u do finaly do say skrewit ur gonna find out that thay can take alot more abuse than u think and still be fine.
i'd avoid taking this advice. i've personally seen guitars that pretty much came apart from being kept in the car. rickysolima has been lucky so far, but if you care about your guitar, i'd avoid doing this. most likely his guitar is actually warped by now, even if it has stayed in one piece.

Quote by rickysolima
dude thats what acoustics are for i leave mine in my car like 70% of the time and take it with me everywhere I go. I ust to be really concerned about it to but i finaly figured its pointless to have it unless ur not gonna go and have fun,and when u do finaly do say skrewit ur gonna find out that thay can take alot more abuse than u think and still be fine.
Quote by patticake
i'd avoid taking this advice. i've personally seen guitars that pretty much came apart from being kept in the car. rickysolima has been lucky so far, but if you care about your guitar, i'd avoid doing this. most likely his guitar is actually warped by now, even if it has stayed in one piece.

how do u figure???
as long as you dont buy cheep ass guitars u dont have problems i got a newer ibanez the and a like 1970 somthing fender 12 string.
the ibanez i bought one day when i was in stocktion one day visiting friends it was like 150$ or somthing and even that one hasent got warped and ive had it for about 2 years and im not nice too it eather.
as for the fender its one of thoes that has been in the family and its real heavy dudy if i wanted to i could throw the thing and it would be fine.
lol i just realized in the family its only a 1970 so like one generation
but ya i found out you get what you pay for i guss and yes ive been lucky with the ibanez
Actually, any guitar will come apart in the heat. Even if the guitar is not made of wood that can warp (such as a carbon fiber guitar), all guitars are held together with glue, and guess what glue does in extreme heat...

MELT!!!

So don't listen to the guy above me. Also, just so you know, a "quality guitar" would likely be made of all solid wood, and thinner pieces of it as well in order for it to be more responsive, so a higher quality guitar would actually warp more than a lower quality one. The more you know.

But to answer the actual question, it should be fine if you play it outside, assuming you're walking and frequently passing through shade. As a rule of thumb, if it's really uncomfortable for you, it could be fatal for your guitar.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
On public transport I furiously masturbate while trying to make eye contact with as many people as possible for as long as possible.
Last edited by i_don't_know at Jul 8, 2010,
Quote by rickysolima

The reason we're concerned for our instruments is because we care about them. The inside of a car on a hot day is A LOT hotter than outside of it. Up here in Maine, we've had 90 degree weather for the past (almost week); that makes your car easily up to above 100. Acoustic guitars are held together by glue. No ifs ands or buts about it. $100,000 Martins, $20 no-name ebay guitars. All held by glue. Glue+Heat=Melting glue. If glue melts, it becomes a weaker bond between different parts of the instrument. The reason we're so concerned (a lot of us acoustic junkies, like myself, patticake, and several others on this forum) is because we have expensive guitars (hundreds to thousands of dollars). We don't want to risk harming the investments we have made.

Plus, ideal conditions for a guitar (or any string instrument....or any instrument) are the same as those for a person; Room temperature and between 40-60% Humidity. Would you enjoy being locked inside of a car with the windows up on a 90 degree day in direct sunlight? Environmental abuse (heat, humidity, etc) is a lot worse than bumping your guitar off of a wall or whatever.

PS. This is not a text from one phone to another. Please use complete words. It makes it much easier for everyone to read.
Quote by obeythepenguin

Quote by ShadesOfGray

Just don't stay in the sun too long. The humidity could cause a crack but as long as it isn't humid it should be fine. Tuning might become a problem though.
As far as I know, wood won't 'crack' under high humidity; it will in low humidity. In the high humidity, It will (swell up? Not sure exactly).
Quote by obeythepenguin

Quote by ShadesOfGray

i've seen wood crack on guitars from too much swelling, but what usually will happen is the swelling will cause the glue to break away from the guitar. it can cause the bridge to lift, the joints to separate or the bracing to lift partway off. it can also cause neck to body attachment problems.

Quote by clayonfire
As far as I know, wood won't 'crack' under high humidity; it will in low humidity. In the high humidity, It will (swell up? Not sure exactly).
the general rule is 2 hours in hot sun will cause irreprable damage. but, if you take it out the shade for 10 mins in that 2 hours, it changes the rule, and then you can technically do it for longer.

stay in shade.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Banjocal
the general rule is 2 hours in hot sun will cause irreprable damage.

Cite a source, because that sounds pretty bogus. I've never seen a guitar fall apart from playing in the sun.

You will start to feel uncomfortable long before the guitar. There is no danger of playing outside on a sunny day.
Quote by GC Shred Off
Cite a source, because that sounds pretty bogus. I've never seen a guitar fall apart from playing in the sun.

You will start to feel uncomfortable long before the guitar. There is no danger of playing outside on a sunny day.

Unless you live in some place with ridiculous weather/climate. Most places you'll be fine. Places with extreme temperatures you might have to limit your time. Just use the general rule of "if you're uncomfortable, your guitar is uncomfortable."
Quote by obeythepenguin

Quote by ShadesOfGray

yeah sorry i was a little tired then -_- yeah ok not irreperable damage at all: basically after 2 hours in very hot sun, thats where the guitar heats up to a point where damage is going happen, and badly.

i should point out that acoustics handle the heat a little worse, give or take the wood quality, but not much. i speak from personal experience there.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger