i dont have any official lemon oil or fretboard conditioners in my house right now and all i could find was lemon pledge, but before i try anything, i just wanna know if it wouldbe okay to apply some to my fretboard. Rosewood fretboards need lemon oil right?
My Gear:

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Junior
Standard Stratocaster (JB Junior in Bridge Position)
Peavey Raptor Plus Exp

Amps:
Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 Slant Cab Half Stack
Peavey TransTube Rage 158
They don't NEED lemon oil, but it does help.
But yeah, the pledge should be fine. Don't quote me on that, wait for a few others to comment in here as well, just so you have a number of opinions
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Wait, I heard some bad things about using pledge on rosewood fingerboards. Get a few comments before you do anything...
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

Quote by TheBigProjekt
Wait, I heard some bad things about using pledge on rosewood fingerboards. Get a few comments before you do anything...

I'm pretty sure that was maple
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
http://www.muzique.com/schem/fret.htm

What about furniture care products like "Lemon Pledge"? Aerosol furniture polishes contain waxes, petroleum distillates, emulsifiers (detergents), and lots and lots of water. A very light spray on maple to clean it is fine, but aerosol polishes should not be used on unvarnished fretbaords. We do not want to apply products containing water to the natural finish of a guitar neck and fretboard.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

I've used lemon Pledge on my fretboard before. It makes it really shiny, but it doesn't clean it as well as a lemon oil would, and that's because Pledge is for polished wood furniture.

Since most rosewood fretboards are unpolished, nothing really happens. I can't imagine it being "bad," for a fretboard... as long as you clean it off and don't let it sit there.
I could have posted the exact same thread as TS, except I've already been using Lemon Pledge on my LP fretboard Good thing I saw this thread, I'm going to have to find some lemon oil!
Don't do it.
Lemon pledge will screw up the wood from what I've read.
Just use lemon oil. That's all you need, and you don't even need to use it that often. I just do it once a year, and that's only in the winter months.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Never use Pledge on a rosewood fretboard, it can/will cause quite a lot of damage.

Don't fret about not having lemon oil anyway, lots of people overestimate how often a rosewood fretboard needs to be oiled. There are lots of guitars out there which are thirty years old or more which have rosewood fretboards that have never been oiled and are still in top playing condition; there is never any ''need'' about it.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Pledge won't hurt it at all. However, the waxes and crap in it will make any future glue or finish repairs fail.
Quote by Ratraisin
Pledge won't hurt it at all. However, the waxes and crap in it will make any future glue or finish repairs fail.

wrong.

like said, pledge is NOT for use on any fretboards.

it contains SILICON and if you ever take that guitar in for service, you'll contaminate
other guitars.

imo, that is harmful to a guitar.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
wrong.

it contains SILICON and if you ever take that guitar in for service, you'll contaminate
other guitars.

It is a matter of interpretation, I suppose. I'm just saying it won't directly harm the fretboard.

Not sure if pledge contains silicone per se, but I do agree about it being a contaminate, which is why I say it will cause future glue or finish repairs to fail. As far as being specifically harmful to the guitar, it is not. Tell it to my Dad's ES335 which has been getting pledged for about 40 years.

Until a year or so ago, I have been personally pledging - or even armour all-ing - my own guitars for the last 26 years. No damage. HOWEVER, it is only since I began building and repairing that I became aware of the contamination factor.
Quote by jj1565
wrong.

other guitars.

+1

It's the AIDS of guitars

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Wait until you can buy the proper stuff. Rather that than messing your guitars fretboard.
Quote by output24
Haha, owned!
U win fender.

Quote by wiggy1988
teacher- Some slave owners would fight duels using their slaves
Me- So, sort of like Pokemon with people..Black man, I choose you!
Quote by Ratraisin
It is a matter of interpretation, I suppose. I'm just saying it won't directly harm the fretboard.

Not sure if pledge contains silicone per se, but I do agree about it being a contaminate, which is why I say it will cause future glue or finish repairs to fail. As far as being specifically harmful to the guitar, it is not. Tell it to my Dad's ES335 which has been getting pledged for about 40 years.

Until a year or so ago, I have been personally pledging - or even armour all-ing - my own guitars for the last 26 years. No damage. HOWEVER, it is only since I began building and repairing that I became aware of the contamination factor.

i hope you hang around EG for a long time. we need experience in this section.

but it's really important to know that this section is filled with young guys who will cover their fret boards in peanut butter if you tell them too.

in here, it's always best to
word your posts so there's no play in their interpretation.

if you need to refinish a guitar or ever take that guitar in for service, then pledge,
which does contain silicon, is harmful.

oils made for guitar maintenance are cheap and last forever.

it should be as simple as that.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Get'cha some of this and never worry about needing a thousand different products for your guitar. This stuff does literally everything and then some

Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
I have a Kramer w/rosewood board that has been getting Pledged for 25 years. I bought it in 1985 and haven't had any problems with it. It hasn't fallen apart or disintegrated yet.
Quote by teh br00t4lz
I have a Kramer w/rosewood board that has been getting Pledged for 25 years. I bought it in 1985 and haven't had any problems with it. It hasn't fallen apart or disintegrated yet.

right. read the other posts.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

As it's been said: pledge = bad.

Lemon oil isn't all that expensive anyway. I swear a bottle is like 6 bucks. Even a kid with no allowance could afford it. Don't get lazy and harm your axe.
All the better guitar books, repairmen and luthiers say don't use it so why argue with them? Generic Polishes and waxes can build up over time and the best guitar products explicitly say they do not do this, so it's obviously a factor or it wouldn't be mentioned in the first place. Pledge can definitely cause a build up on the finish and cetainly be absorbed into the wood pores on rosewood. This may not 'damage' the wood per se but filling it with waxy residue will do nothing for its tone. (think Eva Peron's corpse which has not decayed in decades thanks to her cells being filled with some weird wax process).
Moving on.....
Quote by jj1565

in here, it's always best to
word your posts so there's no play in their interpretation.

I agree and I confess my post was not good advice. I should have just stuck with the better wisdom, which is to not use anything with a base or ingredients that will not evaporate, such as pledge, armour all, etc.

I never like the smell of lemons, anyway.
Quote by Ratraisin
I agree and I confess my post was not good advice. I should have just stuck with the better wisdom, which is to not use anything with a base or ingredients that will not evaporate, such as pledge, armour all, etc.

I never like the smell of lemons, anyway.

haha ditto
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

We uhh needa morea lemon pledge...

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
right. read the other posts.

I did. Is there any particular reason you asked me to read them?
Quote by teh br00t4lz
I did. Is there any particular reason you asked me to read them?

seriously? wow.

there's no way i'm repeating the same thing 3 times.

just do what you want.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by teh br00t4lz
Yes, seriously.

Thank you for giving me permission.

yeah permission granted to introduce harmful chemicals to your guitar.

just don't come in here, ignore correct advice and suggest others do the same.

that's not going to go over very well here.

it's not our fault you have a reading comprehension problem.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Apparently you are the one with the reading comprehension problem; I merely stated that I have been applying pledge to one of my guitars for the last 25 years, with no damage. TS asked if it would hurt; it hasn't IN MY EXPERIENCE (That phrase is the key - get it?). I didn't suggest anyone do anything, nor did I ignore advice because I wasn't seeking advice. THE END.
ooooooo, calm down ladies!

just out of interest, how exactly is silicon a contaminant to other guitars?
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
Quote by teh br00t4lz
Apparently you are the one with the reading comprehension problem; I merely stated that I have been applying pledge to one of my guitars for the last 25 years, with no damage. TS asked if it would hurt; it hasn't IN MY EXPERIENCE (That phrase is the key - get it?). I didn't suggest anyone do anything, nor did I ignore advice because I wasn't seeking advice. THE END.

I started with a similar position, and it's true if you take a narrow view of the question. But, when I broadened the scope of the concept, I had to admit it may hurt the future of a guitar.

Quote by bikerboyjosh
ooooooo, calm down ladies!

just out of interest, how exactly is silicon a contaminant to other guitars?

Silicon and other materials like wax can prevent adhesives and finishes from sticking to wood. So, if you are looking at some future repair or refinish job, it might not go well. You'll be stuck with 'roadworn'

The idea of it being a 'contaminant' is that, if you took your guitar in to a tech, the oils, silicons and waxes could get transferred to another guitar via cloths, or whatever.
Last edited by Ratraisin at Jul 9, 2010,
Quote by needler420
ive been using wd-40 for like 3 years

wd-40 does not contain silicone, but it does displace water.
so while it will clean the board, by nature it might end up drying out the wood.
you'll also need to clean the guitar more frequently, because dust will be drawn to
the area.

in addition, if you read the can you'll see, it's also flammable, and a skin irritant
capable of causing dermatitis.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
wd-40 does not contain silicone, but it does displace water.
so while it will clean the board, by nature it might end up drying out the wood.
you'll also need to clean the guitar more frequently, because dust will be drawn to
the area.

in addition, if you read the can you'll see, it's also flammable, and a skin irritant
capable of causing dermatitis.

I was just cracking jokes he he he i just got my guitar and id never would use wd-40 lol sorry and its not peanut butter ok its cheeto fingers
Last edited by needler420 at Jul 9, 2010,
Quote by Ratraisin
I started with a similar position, and it's true if you take a narrow view of the question. But, when I broadened the scope of the concept, I had to admit it may hurt the future of a guitar.

Yeah, you're seeing the product of 23 years in the Army. Answer the question EXACTLY with no additional information. Black & white. That's something I gotta work on...

jj1565,

No offense intended - I've been sitting in Iraq for nearly a year and I sometimes interpret things people say as being caustic or sarcastic. I actually use lemon oil on my newer guitars, I just didn't know about things like that 25 years ago. I lived in a REALLY small town and had to discover everything about repair and maintenance myself. Hell, I used to think ALL guitars came with a Floyd Rose because that's what I learned on and that was all I could find around there.

I tried the peanut butter like you suggested but now I've got a shitload of dead notes on the upper frets...

here and i thought this was going to be a simple thread!

just kidding. keep yourself safe.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62