Hey guys, first post here. And im hoping this is the right place to post this, i wasn't quite sure haha.

I've been playing guitar for just over a year and a half, self taught for the most part (I've got a few long time players who helped me get the basics down, but other than that, yeah!) and have done the obvious rounds of learning the odd song here and there and generally bumbling around writing pretty generic (If i'm brutally honest!) powerchord riffs.

But lately i've really wanted to expand my music into a slightly more technical area, and somewhat more imaginative, especially after listening to the more technical side of guitarists (Buckethead, is one of my favourites for example) and i really, really want to get into some music theory, and generally expand my musical horizons, as it were!

Now the main thing is i don't really know where to start. I've started learning some scales, and so on, but i feel that just learning scales properly doesn't constitute me as learning music theory to write somewhat more creative / technical songs! (Feel free to punch me, if im wrong. :P) Any advice there is welcome. ALso any links to ultimate guitar lessons on here (Theres quite a few, but i was hoping to get pointed to the golden ones amongst the many.)

If any of this is important, I've got an Ibanez ART120, my practice amp is a Yamaha GA-15 and im mostly into playing Groove / Death style stuff. But am musically open enough that i've played some more bluesy and classic rock stuff.

Thanks in advance. And if i posted this in the wrong place. feel free to tell me off..
Quote by Scrupulous-
Hey guys, first post here. And im hoping this is the right place to post this, i wasn't quite sure haha.

I've been playing guitar for just over a year and a half, self taught for the most part (I've got a few long time players who helped me get the basics down, but other than that, yeah!) and have done the obvious rounds of learning the odd song here and there and generally bumbling around writing pretty generic (If i'm brutally honest!) powerchord riffs.

But lately i've really wanted to expand my music into a slightly more technical area, and somewhat more imaginative, especially after listening to the more technical side of guitarists (Buckethead, is one of my favourites for example) and i really, really want to get into some music theory, and generally expand my musical horizons, as it were!

Now the main thing is i don't really know where to start. I've started learning some scales, and so on, but i feel that just learning scales properly doesn't constitute me as learning music theory to write somewhat more creative / technical songs! (Feel free to punch me, if im wrong. :P) Any advice there is welcome. ALso any links to ultimate guitar lessons on here (Theres quite a few, but i was hoping to get pointed to the golden ones amongst the many.)

If any of this is important, I've got an Ibanez ART120, my practice amp is a Yamaha GA-15 and im mostly into playing Groove / Death style stuff. But am musically open enough that i've played some more bluesy and classic rock stuff.

Thanks in advance. And if i posted this in the wrong place. feel free to tell me off..

Most people would disagree with me here, but I recommend you learn to actually read sheet music before learning theory...because as far as versatility is concerned, reading music is the way to go since most people don't care about music theory. I could read music before I learned theory, and once I had progressed far enough the concepts of music theory were easier to understand since I could relate them back to sheet music
I just recommend learning chords and how they are harmonized, learn how to do more chordie strummy stuff and that will buff your theory up when you understand what is going on...then it can lead to easier soloing and knowing what is going to sound good.
If you dont know how to read tabs I would suggest you do so because its dead easy to understand. I'm not sure how many people would agree with me on this, but I find it helps to learn songs from musicians that influence you as well as from musicians in other styles. This helps you understand how your music is played and grants a wider knowledege of styles so you can make the music you like in your own way. Also music theory should be learned as well plus I would reccomend taking lessons (definately) and also buying some instructional dvds, books, etc.
Quote by justaramsfan
Most people would disagree with me here, but I recommend you learn to actually read sheet music before learning theory...because as far as versatility is concerned, reading music is the way to go since most people don't care about music theory. I could read music before I learned theory, and once I had progressed far enough the concepts of music theory were easier to understand since I could relate them back to sheet music

+1, learning how to read actual notes will help you a ton when learning theory, you will be able to actually wright out the notes, and visually see what is going on, tabs don't let you do that.
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"