I'm in need of a lot of help; I'm applying to colleges soon and plenty of factors are going into my decision, specifically academics and music scene. I don't want to wind up at a bad school with low academics, but I don't want to stay four years in a place with nothing to do in my spare time, and I most certainly don't want to end up at a college where I have to surrender any musical pursuits because it's nonexistant at said college. So far I've been able to get these five:

University of Arizona-Tucson
Texas A&M University-College Station
Louisiana State University-Baton Rouge
University of Oklahoma-Norman
Texas State University-San Marcos

Could anyone offer me some general pros or cons for these colleges? And if there are different colleges you'd suggest, I'd really appreciate it. I'm looking for a college with a good biological sciences program, but also in an area that has things to do in my off-time, and with a relatively decent music scene.
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Custom Fender MIM Black Strat
-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Cons:
Quote by EvilAngel93
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by damian_91
Cons:

I live in Texas, so naturally those are in my considerations. Doesn't mean I'll end up there, though. U of A is my top choice actually; my problem is paying for tuition
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Last edited by EvilAngel93 at Jul 5, 2010,
Quote by damian_91
Cons:

Those would actually be pros in my opinion.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Cons: You have to learn

Pros: Parties and women
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by blackflag49
You should apply to Rice. Big city=music scene, and very solid academics.

I've heard Houston has a good scene. But sadly I live in a pretentious suburb 45 minutes north of H-town so....and I wish I could get into Rice; I'm a good student, but not nearly that good
Quote by Jackal58

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Quote by JAHellraiser

^
This. always feel like school is getting in the way of college.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Follow me on the tweet machine. I tweet about interesting things like the weather and what I ate for breakfast.
Ut at Austin is a good choice for a great bio science program and Austin has an awesome music scene

^^ my first smilies stack ^^
Quote by Wachunga
Ut at Austin is a good choice for a great bio science program and Austin has an awesome music scene

That ridiculous "top ten percent" rule gets me there, it'd be very hard to get in with just my SAT scores; my GPA's reasonably high but not quite a 4.0. I've thought about it ALOT though, so if I end up transferring after my sophomore year, I may end up there.
Quote by Jackal58

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Texas A&M is pretty ace. You could also apply to North Texas in Denton. The music scene in that area is supposed to be great because it's an awesome school to go to for music.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
I've heard the same about UNT. Denton is a great place, too. Great music scene. A&M is supposed to be a good school if you get past the annoying as hell AGGIES fans. College is for learning, douchebags. I know its a fun getaway from boring work, but you don't go to A&M to aggresively hate UT in football crap.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by EvilAngel93
I live in Texas, so naturally those are in my considerations. Doesn't mean I'll end up there, though. U of A is my top choice actually; my problem is paying for tuition

Do you know how easy it is to get government grants these days? I mean, honestly, Obama made that easy. Same with college loans.

I mean...I don't like it cuz it means higher taxes, but shit...you might as well use it...
i go to u of a

the music scene in tucson is ok. you may have to look around a bit, but you'll probably find some other musicians to jam with.
the 2 main venues in town are the rialto and the rock. the rialto gets some pretty big name artists from time to time (we got megadeth back in march) and the rock is just a little hole-in-the-wall place about 2 blocks from campus where smaller bands play.
tucson itself is kinda boring though. not much to do most of the year except get shitfaced.

u of a itself is an ok school. a lot of the people on campus are part of a greek system though, so... yeah. don't know if that would deter you or not. but, same as before, if you look hard enough, you'll find cool people.
Go Veg.
University of Helsinki. I think they teach some programs in English. Lots of science, and mathematics, if I'm not mistaken.
Lots of metal and jazz in the music scene.
Yksinään hän vaeltaa mis' varjot lankeaa
Halki usvan ja roudan vain teräs seuranaan
Sydämensä kylmä on kuin maa routainen
Mutta silmissään viha polttava kuin kiuas tulinen
i go to u of a as well. ive live in tucson my whole life, theres more than the rock andrialot if youre lookin for a music scene. skrappys, the hangart, dry river are a few more places that local acts play. tucson is great for college cause most people go home during summer(the time when its blistering hot and you shrivel up and die if you step outside), but the rest of the year is pretty amazing weather, relatively speaking. cali is just a hop skip and jump away.

cons, cal is a hop skip and jump away, therefore all the douchebags who couldnt get into cal schools come here. not much to do except get shitfaced, stoned.

love tucson.
Quote by drop-dead666
You're a retard, read Scourges posts. There is already a system folder, why do I need a system32.
You're not considering The University of Texas at Austin?

That's where I'm going this fall and I'm not even from Texas (I live in Virginia).

You being a Texas resident, it should be like #1 on your list haha. Plus you get to live in AUSTIN, enough said. Best city ever for everything. It has a very high projected job growth, quality of living, excellent music scene, lots of things to do...etc
BLUEGREEN

Quote by sashki
Jazz III. It's not my choice. It's the correct choice.
go to a florida school woooooooo!
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
Quote by EvilAngel93

I loved my time there. Spent a year, transferred out to a better history ed program, ended up doing psychology >_< (OU's psych program is tits). I believe their bio stuff is quite good because their pre-med stuff is good as well. Norman's music scene.... well, tbh I never really scoped this out much because I took too many classes >_< but I don't have any reason to think it's better or worse than any other place. Also you're less than half an hour from OKC, where there's also an average amount of it.

I really dig Norman, but the music scene there probably depends on what you're into tbh.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by EvilAngel93

Hate to break it to you, but none of those school break fast the Top 75 Schools according to the US News College Rankings.

Enjoy your mediocre life.
Quote by MooseFakka
Hate to break it to you, but none of those school break fast the Top 75 Schools according to the US News College Rankings.

Because an arbitrary rank is all that matters

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by MooseFakka

Hate to break it to you, but the U of A has on of the top 10 business schools in the country(with the best MIS/CIS program out of any public school), the best optics program in the country, and i believe on of the top 10 pharm schools in the country.

Enjoy being retarded the rest of yours.
Quote by drop-dead666
You're a retard, read Scourges posts. There is already a system folder, why do I need a system32.
Last edited by axethrower13 at Jul 6, 2010,
Quote by axethrower13
Hate to break it to you, but the U of A has on of the top 10 business schools in the country(with the best MIS/CIS program out of any public school), the best optics program in the country, and i believe on of the top 10 pharm schools in the country.

Enjoy being retarded the rest of yours.

Those are all the specialty graduate programs associated with U of A. As an undergraduate institution, it's ranked 102. I have no doubt of the prestige of its business program, but that business program is going to prefer 1. Applicants outside of the U of A pool, 2. Applicants from more prestigious and more highly ranked and challenging undergraduate programs.

I'm a rising senior at the University of Pennsylvania Wharton School of Business, so yes, I will be enjoying the rest of my life.
i'm in high school so i don't know much about tuition and all that stuff, but isn't it cheaper to go to school in-state? i'm sure you could find an ok music scene in any decent-sized city as well.
Quote by lilwill322
i'm in high school so i don't know much about tuition and all that stuff, but isn't it cheaper to go to school in-state? i'm sure you could find an ok music scene in any decent-sized city as well.

yes, it is; even cheaper if you don't need to stay at campus either.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Quote by MooseFakka
Those are all the specialty graduate programs associated with U of A. As an undergraduate institution, it's ranked 102. I have no doubt of the prestige of its business program, but that business program is going to prefer 1. Applicants outside of the U of A pool, 2. Applicants from more prestigious and more highly ranked and challenging undergraduate programs.

I'm a rising senior at the University of Pennsylvania Wharton School of Business, so yes, I will be enjoying the rest of my life.

Comparing public universities, especially undergrad programs, to that of private universities is like comparing apples and oranges.

Enjoy your 40 thousand dollar a year tuition for a piece of paper that says the same thing any other uni degree says. Today, employers look to see that you were able to complete a program, they don't give two shits how much you paid for it.
Quote by drop-dead666
Last edited by axethrower13 at Jul 6, 2010,
Quote by axethrower13
Comparing public universities, especially undergrad programs, to that of public universities is like comparing apples and oranges.

Enjoy your 40 thousand dollar a year tuition for a piece of paper that says the same thing any other uni degree says. Today, employers look to see that you were able to complete a program, they don't give two shits how much you paid for it.

I don't understand your first sentence.

Edit: Look, I have no qualms against public universities. Some of them are some of the mostly prestigious research universities in the world.

A pro of applying and attending a highly ranked private school: If they really do want you, they have the means to make tuition becomes less of an issue. These established and prestigious institutions have insane endowments. I think even after the financial crisis, Harvard is still enjoying their $30 billion dollar endowment. With all the merit aid I've been given, I'm actually graduating with less debt than my friend at UC Berkeley.
Last edited by MooseFakka at Jul 6, 2010,
Quote by MooseFakka
I don't understand your first sentence.

Edit: Look, I have no qualms against public universities. Some of them are some of the mostly prestigious research universities in the world.

A pro of applying and attending a highly ranked private school: If they really do want you, they have the means to make tuition becomes less of an issue. These established and prestigious institutions have insane endowments. I think even after the financial crisis, Harvard is still enjoying their $30 billion dollar endowment. With all the merit aid I've been given, I'm actually graduating with less debt than my friend at UC Berkeley.

Yeah, i realized after posting my replies they seemed a little aggressive. But I do believe when it boils down to it, an undergrad degree is an undergrad degree, inconsequential of where its from; therefore the whole US News undergrad ranking argument holds little water in my eyes.

But definitely congrats on making it into that school anyway...
Quote by drop-dead666
Quote by JAHellraiser

People still learn in college?