Okay, I have a friend who wants to get into guitar and they want to "learn" from me. They like metal, but they have never touched a stringed instrument in their life, and I want to get some songs that are extremely simple, but still metal. They're into metalcore stuff, but I don't want them to learn August Burns Red or something really hard to begin with, so I need some ideas for extremely simple metal songs.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

paranoid
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Enter Sandman
Smoke On The Water
A number of Sabbath songs have moderately easy riffs

I don't know, those are what I did early on I think. Can't remember a whole lot.

Master of Puppets

just kidding
it might be better to give your friend scales and exercises first... then find something easy after they have some idea of what's going on in the land of guitar. however i guess i would say if your gonna slow it down a bunch, Annihilator's Alison Hell is a good song. Lots of string changing and different things involved in it.
black sabbath has easy riffs
but you should tell them to learn the basics before going into metal
Don't mean to be a dick, but I'm looking for more metalcore orientated songs, not thrash/classic metal.

@Nosral, how easy are COB's rhythms? Hopefully just some chugging and chords?
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.

You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

Sweet Leaf - Black Sabbath
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Highway to Hell - AC/DC
T.N.T - AC/DC
Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana (if he ventures that way)
For Whom the Bell Tolls - Metallica

these are ones i teach the guys that want to learn, but i suggest that u get them on the CAGED system
If I remember correctly, Dying In Your Arms by Trivium was pretty easy. You'll want to teach the person some basics before delving into metal and metalcore songs, regardless of their difficulty. There's usually a lot going on in those kind of songs.
Quote by TheBigProjekt
Don't mean to be a dick, but I'm looking for more metalcore orientated songs, not thrash/classic metal.

Metalcore isn't metal. You should have said that. I don't even think Children of Bodom is metalcore, I'm pretty sure they're thrash or heavy metal.

Metalcore is like Attack Attack!, The Devil Wears Prada, Miss May I... etc...
Quote by TheBigProjekt

Eh, for someone who's never played ANYTHING, pretty difficult. If they can be patient with you, they might be able to play something. Like this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtPDm2kaj1c
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Okay, thanks for the advice, what would be a good thing to teach beginners? I'm completely self taught, so I don't have any experience other than what I've done myself.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.

Open chords, bar chords, power chords, palm muting, basic scales, and a tiny bit of theory so they can be creative. That's really pretty much it for beginners.
Last edited by fishmoose345 at Jul 6, 2010,
Quote by TheBigProjekt
Okay, thanks for the advice, what would be a good thing to teach beginners? I'm completely self taught, so I don't have any experience other than what I've done myself.

For Metal:

Scales.
Palm Muting.
Pitch Harmonics(and the theory behind it)
Chords
Basic Theory in general
Types of guitars, woods, Pups, bridges, etc.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
If your friends are JUST starting out, there really isnt a way to teach them full songs.
I wouldn't start with metal of any sort. That's just asking for trouble. A kid in my neighborhood asked me to teach him how to play guitar, so I started him off with not chords, scales or any of that shit. I started with how to tune the guitar. That's the best place to start. Then I moved to open chords, than scales. He then told me 'why can't you show me how to play like you do? You know, the really loud stuff I hear from your window?' (he lives right next door to me)
I told him before he can learn ANY of that stuff, he needs to learn basics.

As much as your friend will hate your guts, you either teach him how to play the basics of the instrument or you don't teach him at all, and send him to a teacher at a school or something.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
This will solve all your problems, has songs from Killswitch Engage, all kinds of riffs, good place to start developing

Metalcore -The Basics Part 1

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/metalcore_-_the_basics_part_1.html

Metalcore -The Basics Part 2

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/metalcore_-_the_basics_part_2.html

Metalcore -The Basics Part 3

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/music_styles/metalcore_-_the_basics_part_3.html
Gear
Schecter Hellraiser
Custom Built Les Paul
Ibanez Rg5ex1
line 6 DI-silver
Bugera 6260
line 6 spider ii

To Set The Ocean On fire

Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends
Last edited by Holysorrow at Jul 6, 2010,
first, you have to know he really wants to play. it's not ****ing guitar hero, it takes time and effort and alot of practice. if he just thinks it'll be easy and he'll be famous one day, you may be wasting your time.

also, older metal may be the place to start. i started with some easy metallica songs (for whom the bell tolls, one, enter sandman) and i play modern metal pretty well now, because i have a good foundation.