Alright, so what I've been using for the last few years is a fairly cheap Ibanez that I've modded (New Pickups, Output Jack, and a few other things), but now I'm looking for something a bit better suited for my needs.

I play Post-Hardcore (think A Day to Remember), so I need something that can get a good tone for that genre, and I don't specifically have a budget limit because I'm not going to buy anything soon (although I would like to stay as cheap as possible, and anything over $1000 is a definite no-go), this is just some research ahead of time so I know what to get when the time does come (probably a few months).

That said, I found out that Kevin Skaff (the guitarist for A Day to Remember) uses a Gibson Les Paul Custom with EMG 85/81s as his main and an ESP LTD EC-1000 as his back-up. I went into GC and tried both, and I like both of them. I'd have to sell both my kidneys and then some for the Les Paul Custom, so that's out of the picture. The ESP is plausible, but I would like something a little cheaper.

Standard pickups aren't that important to me. If I don't like what the guitar comes with, I have the Seymour Duncan JB set from my Ibanez.

My current guitar rig:
Boss DS-1/CH-1 (board over these, I only use them together) -> Boss DD-7 -> GFT 90 -> Peavey Vypyr 75 w/ Sanpera I

Please don't try to tell me I need a new amp. I can get great tones out of my current one, and I don't see myself upgrading any time soon.

And that's pretty much all the research/information I have now. I'm not going to buy anything anytime soon, but I would like to get some more suggestions. I've heard good things about Agile Guitars and they seem well within what I'd be comfortable paying, can anyone give me a specific model I could look into? Or are there any other guitars that come to mind?

Thanks for any replies.
Gear:
Guitars: ESP/LTD EC-400, Ibanez GRX20, Washburn D-10 M/TWR
Amp: Peavey Vypyr 75
Pedals: Digitech Whammy, Boss DS-1, Boss CH-1, Sanpera I

YDG!?
I think the guitarists from Of Mice and Men (YDG?, man) use stock Gibson Les Pauls Traditional's and Studio's. Probably some EC-1000's, too.

You could get a Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded...

You could also get an EC-401 instead of an EC-1000.
First off a day to remember is in no way post-hardcore and yes im sure you would be more than pleased with an agile al-3100. Check them out
Quote by PeterNincompoop
First off a day to remember is in no way post-hardcore and yes im sure you would be more than pleased with an agile al-3100. Check them out

Funny how they are often described post-hardcore.

But okay, you win. Let's create a word: pop-metalpunkcore. That describes A Day to Remember.

Now go make a thread in the Hardcore thread about pop-metalpunkcore and say that's what ADTR is.
The EC-401 would get you pretty close to the EC-1000, and given a good amp, it'll shine through much of anything. I look at the EC-1000 as a 401 which has nicer bindings and such, more or less the tonewood and pickups are the same. Try it out . I've tried out the 401 personally, and yea you can get ADTR, or probably more than ADTR's tones.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
I think the guitarists from Of Mice and Men (YDG?, man) use stock Gibson Les Pauls Traditional's and Studio's. Probably some EC-1000's, too.

You could get a Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded...

You could also get an EC-401 instead of an EC-1000.

I'm glad to see someone else recognizes where my username came from, not many other people do.

And can anyone tell me the difference between a Les Paul Studio, Custom, Standard, and Traditional? I know there's difference in the wood they use to make it, but is there any other big difference that justifies that much of a price difference?

And the EC-401 looks good price-wise. Any big difference in the EC-401 & 1000?

Quote by PeterNincompoop

I'm not big on classifying bands. People could argue all day over who's this genre, who's that genre, whatever. I honestly just don't care, and most of the bands I like fit the post-hardcore description, so that's what I used in my post.

And I really love the price tag on the AL-3100 ($400). Is there something wrong with it that makes it that cheap or is it just really a good deal that somehow hasn't been publicized? I liked this variation specifically, is there anything wrong with it?
Gear:

YDG!?
I'm glad to see someone else recognizes where my username came from, not many other people do.

1. And can anyone tell me the difference between a Les Paul Studio, Custom, Standard, and Traditional? I know there's difference in the wood they use to make it, but is there any other big difference that justifies that much of a price difference?

2. And the EC-401 looks good price-wise. Any big difference in the EC-401 & 1000?

3. And I really love the price tag on the AL-3100 ($400). Is there something wrong with it that makes it that cheap or is it just really a good deal that somehow hasn't been publicized? I liked this variation specifically, is there anything wrong with it?

1. Mostly the finish, inlays, hardware, pickups...

2. EC-1000 has abalone. EC-401 has I think pearl binding

3. I wouldn't get it, the trapeze might not be all that great and the mini-humbuckers won't play hardcore too well.

Get this:
http://www.rondomusic.com/product1891.html

or even this:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Damien-Solo-Elite-Electric-Guitar?sku=584543

EDIT: EC-401
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-EC401-Electric-Guitar?sku=580199

EC-401VF
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-EC401VF-Electric-Guitar?sku=580200
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at Jul 6, 2010,
I like the Agile you posted. It's already got my ideal pickups installed, but I wish there was somewhere I could actually try it out without buying it (Agile is purely online).

I also noticed that the Schecter you posted had pretty similar hardware/specs and it's the same price. And by your signature and knowledge of Of Mice & Men, I'm guessing you've tried it out and play similar stuff, which builds my confidence in it. Plus, before I tried out the Les Paul and ESP, I was looking at a few Schecter guitars. I'll definitely check it out next time I'm near GC.

Still open to suggestions, though. I'll go ahead and put a price limit of $700 on now, just because the suggested guitars have great specs/hardware and are only $500. I'll probably go to GC sometime next week to check out what's been suggested.
Gear:

YDG!?
Last edited by YDG? at Jul 6, 2010,
I used to own an EC-1000 and to this day I still believe it is the best heavy rhythm player I've ever tried. I've never tried an Agile as i'm in the UK and they won't ship them over but obviously everyone raves about them. I'll be the first to try one when they market them here.

I'm waiting in today to take delivery of a Vintage V100 Lemon Drop. I'm trying it out as most reviews claim it's a step above its Epiphone equivalent. Maybe something to look into, but seeing as it's a UK brand it may be a little more pricey by the time it hits a U.S store.
After a little more research, I've narrowed it down to these guitars:

Schecter Damien Solo Elite
Agile 3100
ESP LTD EC-401
Epiphone Les Paul Custom

I put them in order of my current likelihood to buy (although I won't be buying one for a while). This is based mostly on reviews and YouTube demos up to this point, so if anyone wants to suggest anything more or dissuade me from one of the ones I listed, I'm open to suggestion.
Gear:

YDG!?
go for the ESP LTD EC-401. U could also get a ESP LTD mh-350nt if u like the super-strat shape. It also has better fret access.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by YDG?
After a little more research, I've narrowed it down to these guitars:

Schecter Damien Solo Elite
Agile 3100
ESP LTD EC-401
Epiphone Les Paul Custom

I put them in order of my current likelihood to buy (although I won't be buying one for a while). This is based mostly on reviews and YouTube demos up to this point, so if anyone wants to suggest anything more or dissuade me from one of the ones I listed, I'm open to suggestion.

I'd try them out. The necks are all very different. If you manage to find a youtube video of the Damien Solo Elite, let me know. I've been looking for weeks!