whatisthisidon'teven?

i was just screwing around with tuning and dropping strings and stuff and this tuning sounds really nice and i wrote a short instrumental in it and i was thinking about using it a lot in my songs.

but what is it called?
anyone (here, or other musicians) use it?
open Gºmaj7addb9? what does it matter what it's called? if you want to use it, use it.

i notice a lot of guitarists are so preoccupied with tunings. if you find a tuning you like, use it -- but the tuning itself doesn't matter. the notes you make do.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
That looks very interesting, but I have no idea what to call it, its not an open chord, well, not one I can think of unless you do like GminMaj7b5addb9? Haha, Im interested in hearing how its played
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
I'm not sure what this tuning could be called.

It sounds different that is for sure.
I'd be very interested in hearing what you wrote in this tuning.
Quote by c_foster88
I'm not sure what this tuning could be called.

It sounds different that is for sure.
I'd be very interested in hearing what you wrote in this tuning.

i will upload a short instrumental to my myspace that i made when recording myself just screwing around to keep some ideas and stuff.

Quote by AeolianWolf

open Gºmaj7addb9? what does it matter what it's called? if you want to use it, use it.

i notice a lot of guitarists are so preoccupied with tunings. if you find a tuning you like, use it -- but the tuning itself doesn't matter. the notes you make do.

thanks dude.

edit:

Gdim(addb9)

But realy... listen to Aeolian.

i like it, i will use it.
i just wanted to know a little information about it.
be helpful, or don't post, please.
thanks.
Last edited by TonyRandall at Jul 6, 2010,
Quote by TonyRandall
thanks dude.

you asked for help - you should be thankful you got any at all. i'm saying that guitarists are so preoccupied with naming tunings, most out of some possibility that they'll somehow get glory or fame just for turning a few pegs.

i'm not being a bitch, i'm telling you for your own benefit - don't worry about the tuning, worry about the notes. if you need to hit notes that are too low or just plain unconventional for a certain tuning, THEN you worry about the tuning.
Quote by TonyRandall
whatisthisidon'teven?

i was just screwing around with tuning and dropping strings and stuff and this tuning sounds really nice and i wrote a short instrumental in it and i was thinking about using it a lot in my songs.

but what is it called?
anyone (here, or other musicians) use it?

Quote by DiminishedFifth
Gdim(addb9)

But realy... listen to Aeolian.

I... I don't see where I didn't help.

And you can't get mad at the extra advice Aeolian gave you. That's like getting mad cause you won something as well as getting the consolation prize.
@A-Wolf:

well, in that case, i take away the emoticon.

but if you read my thread about a week and a half or so ago about alternate tunings
( https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1330724&highlight=alternate+tunings ) post #10 in particular, you may understand my frustration with statements like that.

i just remember when this site was more helpful, and i must say i'm a little disappointed in the way things are going around here lately.

sorry for sounding rude, if i did.

but i'm not trying to name it at all, if anything i'll call it by what it is- G Bb Db Gb Ab Db.
i've always just been too lazy to learn much theory other than circle of fifths and stuff (which i have barely read about, years ago.)

i just wanted to know if anyone used this tuning after a quick Google search brought no results.

but, in regard to not worrying about the tuning:
i like to strum all the strings and there are only so many chords i can play like that in standard tuning cause i have stupid fear of all my songs sounding too similar...

@otherdude:

my statement to you stands.
Quote by TonyRandall

i just wanted to know if anyone used this tuning after a quick Google search brought no results.

No... I'm not too well-versed in Open Tunings, and, quite frankly, they scare me. I still haven't mastered my standard enough for myself. I'm not even comfortable in Dropped tunings.

And no, none of that is sarcasm.

but, in regard to not worrying about the tuning:
i like to strum all the strings and there are only so many chords i can play like that in standard tuning cause i have stupid fear of all my songs sounding too similar...

Then you haven't done enough experimenting/theory learning. I find new chords all the time. Even when I'm learning songs they usually have chords and progressions that I hadn't thought of before.

@otherdude:

my statement to you stands.

But... but... I helped

What about now?
well, i personally don't think that good music should be so centered around tunings -- but that doesn't mean that it can't be. no reason you can't write a song in a different tuning.

if you learn theory, though, you'll be in a good place to maximize the efficiency of creating alternate tunings.

honestly, anyone who really, REALLY knows theory will tell you that there is absolutely nothing objectively "wrong" about doing anything in music. sometimes you'll find a post like that -- disregard it.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
No... I'm not too well-versed in Open Tunings, and, quite frankly, they scare me. I still haven't mastered my standard enough for myself. I'm not even comfortable in Dropped tunings.

same.

Then you haven't done enough experimenting/theory learning. I find new chords all the time. Even when I'm learning songs they usually have chords and progressions that I hadn't thought of before.

that's basically what this thread is about.

But... but... I helped

What about now?

thanks. i meant nothing rude by my statements, honestly. =]
i must come off as a complete asshole most of the time.

the first two sentences of that statement still stand, though.

Quote by AeolianWolf

if you learn theory,

i plan on doing A LOT of that in college.
i've been meaning to learn a lot about theory,
but i need a little guidance/tutoring to do so; none of it really makes sense when i read articles and stuff online.
Quote by TonyRandall
same.

that's basically what this thread is about.

thanks. i meant nothing rude by my statements, honestly. =]
i must come off as a complete asshole most of the time.

1/3 of it still stand, though.
(first sentence :P)

Haha not really. I thought it was kind of entertaining, actually.

What I'm trying to say is: if you feel restricted by standard tuning, then you're not doing enough experimenting in it. Most (if not all) of the bands that define guitar and genre's and stuff are in standard.

Having said that, the song I just wrote wasn't in Standard xD but if you find a good tuning, go ahead and stick with it. I found one I like.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Haha not really. I thought it was kind of entertaining, actually.

What I'm trying to say is: if you feel restricted by standard tuning, then you're not doing enough experimenting in it. Most (if not all) of the bands that define guitar and genre's and stuff are in standard.

Having said that, the song I just wrote wasn't in Standard xD but if you find a good tuning, go ahead and stick with it. I found one I like.

my main guitar is in standard. (well, a half step down.)

i had previously let a friend who was learning guitar for her senior project borrow my spare acoustic and i got it back recently. my main guitar is really nice, so i didn't see the point in having two acoustics in standard tuning.

just doing a little experimenting, that's all.
i was looking for something really bassy, but also sounded kinda pretty.
it's a nice tuning, i'd recommend at least checking it out...