Hello everyone,

As I get more and more involved with guitar, I find my amp more and more lacking. I love my Microcube for practice, but it's definitely not giggable. So I'm looking to get my first all-tube amp (combo). My budget is $350-450, but in all likelihood I'm gonna get my amp used. I want to be able to get decent cleans, but some good distortion as well (I think Led Zep's 'Whole Lotta Love' would be the most distortion I'd use).

My ideas:
Blackheart Little Giant
Blackstar HT-5
Traynor YCV20WR
Crate V18 112

Any other ideas for this range? Preferably 10+ watts.
'08 Fender Deluxe Blackout Telecaster
'08 Squier Jagmaster w/ 2 DiMarzio PAFs (DP103/DP223)
'91 Seagull S6 CW Acoustic/Electric
Fender Super Champ XD
Digitech Whammy WH-4
EHX Big Muff Pi (NYC)
Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ
Preferably 10+ watts yet two of the amps you listed were 5 watts?

Blackheart Handsome Devil is the 15 watt variant of the Blackheart line.

Blackstar Artisan 15 or HT Venue 20 are higher wattage versions of small Blackstar amps. The Artisan series is hand-wired, more vintage in tone, and more expensive.

Considering you mentioned Zeppelin, I'd have to recommend the Blackheart and the Traynor. Both pull off Marshall grunt convincingly. The Blackstar HT line is generally recommended for higher-gain applications than what you mentioned.
Last edited by Seref at Jul 6, 2010,
Traynor, the Crate, or a Peavey Classic 30.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
lol good call. Truthfully, I just went down that chart in the small, cheap tube amp thread. Ultimately, I want something for small/medium size gigging.

Under the specs for the Blackheart, it says the tubes are hybrid, are the talking about the Tube/SS mix? I hear that's just gimmicky, any truth to that?
Fender Super Champ XD
Digitech Whammy WH-4
EHX Big Muff Pi (NYC)
The Marshall Class 5 looks good, especially if I get it used. The Peavey Classic 30 might be a bit much, but I really like the Crate and Traynor as well.

As for the Marshall; I know it can get good classic rock tones, but how bout clean blues, is it versatile enough for that? Also, I play a lot of slide, so I want the tone to be pretty fat/rich as well; how do these stack up? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: His cleans near the middle of that bit (~3) sound great. Clean, but with a little bit of grit too.
Fender Super Champ XD
Digitech Whammy WH-4
EHX Big Muff Pi (NYC)
Last edited by kreddy2 at Jul 6, 2010,
If you want something giggable, I doubt 5 watts will be enough but it all depends if you have a hardhitting drummer or not. If you're looking for great cleans and a Led Zep sound when distorted, try a Kustom Defender if you can find one used.
"Don’t be a guitarist. Be a musician."

Steve Howe
yeah 5 watts isn't enough for gigging unless u mic it. I suggest a Laney VC15, Laney CUB12r or a Vox Night Train.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Play a Peavey ValveKing 112. It's in your price range, it can do what you want (it has amazing cleans, and the distortion doesn't get "metally" until you turn the gain up to at least 2 o'clock.), and it's a good size for gigging.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Well, I doubt you will find a class 5 used, they just came out a few months ago. The tone is very thick, even with my strat. I still think you can get plenty loud with it even if it is five watts. You need to try one yourself and crank it. Its deafening, but you need to decide that part for yourself. As for cleans, probly not the class 5. Turning it up just a little will still produce some grit, but if you like gritty cleans, then this amp is for you.
Gear
Fender MIM hss strat 1997
Marshall Class 5
Line 6 Floor Pod Plus
OCD drive

I love classic rock.
Quote by Offworld92
Play a Peavey ValveKing 112. It's in your price range, it can do what you want (it has amazing cleans, and the distortion doesn't get "metally" until you turn the gain up to at least 2 o'clock.), and it's a good size for gigging.

The Valveking is less than stellar without an EQ pedal and speaker swap, though.

OP, I'd look at the Jet City Amps JCA20 as well.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Egnater tweaker or rebel line sounds fitting. I have the HT5, it's too gainy for your tastes (IMO).
Blackstar ID:15TVP
2001 MIA Strat (SD '59/Stock/CustomCustom)
Early 80s Fernandes The Revival '57
unforunatley the ht5 also isn't any good.

jet city20 or 50 head/cab or combo for you man.

The 50 is based on the lucky 13 by soldano. It's got a great master volume and it'll do everything you need.

The 20watt is less versatile but more affordable. The combo has true spring reverb as opposed to the digital reverb used by a competitor.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by sixstringedmatt
Egnater tweaker or rebel line sounds fitting. I have the HT5, it's too gainy for your tastes (IMO).
I think you mean too distorted.

I'd pick the JCA out of those, preferable the 50 if you can afford it. Useable at practice levels but loud enough to cope with any gig you may play. Eminently capable of producing what you want.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
+ for the Jet city combo, easily falls into your price-range, all tube, 20w (and a tube driven reverb)
RIP lowlife (fort wayne) the best crappy crusty punk band ever!
Thanks for all the feedback!

I looked into the Fender Super Champ XD amp, and although it's hybrid (any opinions on this? apparently this one's different from the average hybrid, as it's an SS preamp and tube power amp), it seems to be getting rave reviews from experienced gearheads (especially with a Ragin Cajun speaker addition). Plus, I really love Fender tones (in particular, the Princeton Reverbs), and this seems to get close. Obviously, I'll have to try it out, but that's one of my top options.

As for the Marshall Class 5; one just happened to be posted on Craigslist today, lol. And there is nothing like a good gritty clean, IMO. Unfortunately, I won't have the cash for another week or so, and at $325, it should be long gone by then. Still, I'll keep it in mind, and a new amp is still an option, just not preferred.

The Jet City: never heard of it until now! I'll have to see if there's one in my local store. The 50 is probably out of my price range, and plus all I'm trying to do right now is make myself heard over a drummer (the Microcube, while awesome, isn't quite there). How is the stock speaker on it, is an upgrade recommended?
Fender Super Champ XD
Digitech Whammy WH-4
EHX Big Muff Pi (NYC)
not really. it's an eminence special design. mike and them did a good job on it. You could always upgrade of course to a cream of the crop speaker but the cab or the combo are fine.

if you need to be heard over a drummer...5 watts ain't gonna get it. you'll want 20.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
OK, so from the few reviews I've read online, the JCA20 doesn't have much clean headroom, which might be an issue (I like a little bit of grit in my cleans, but not too much). I'll reserve judgment until I try it out.

Right now, it's between the JCA20 and the Fender Super Champ XD. I'm leaning toward the SCXD, but I would also upgrade the speaker, so the total would be around $260. If I managed to find the JCA20 used, it'd be about $300 or so, I would think. Not much difference, so I definitely need to do some testing.

Anyone have experience with the SCXD? Impressions? How loud does it get? Does the hybrid nature of it detract from it?
Fender Super Champ XD
Digitech Whammy WH-4
EHX Big Muff Pi (NYC)