ok, the other day at work (autozone) someone brought back some of those led strips cuz they were damaged. they were wired so that I could just cut out the section that wasn't lighting up, mess with the gel cover, and solder em together. now, I'm wanting to mount them inside the lid to my pedalboard so that they shine down onto the pedals (they're pretty bright leds) here I hit a slight problem.

you can see my case is covered in leather, and I want to mount em basically opposite the handle, and of course it would have to be on the leather that's folded back and stapled. I'm not sure what to use here. I'm guessing wood glue would hold to the leather but not the plastic, and it seems to me that glues made for plastic may not work well with the leather.

the strips did originally have some double sided tape stuff on em, but of course in the process of chopping it up and rewiring them they got all dirty and weren't very sticky anymore. I thought of using double sided tape myself, but I just don't really like the idea of using tape to hold something on this box since I managed to make it look so professional.

anyone know of something that would work, or have any other ideas?
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Jul 6, 2010,
Rough it up and super glue it? Leather=skin, and I can assure you super glue sticks to skin
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
Plumbers goop, epoxy, super glue, liquid nails. I could go on...
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
Quote by supersac
superglue?

Quote by Mike-T93
Rough it up and super glue it? Leather=skin, and I can assure you super glue sticks to skin

superglue - in my experience - isn't all that super. it may stick to the leather nicely, but I've never had it take to plastic very well.

Quote by supersac
silicone?
sew it on?

hm, I happen to have a tube of black silicone... do you think that would stick? sewing that would be extremely tedious or impossible since the leather is stapled flat against the wood.
somehow rip up some of the leather and put the lights through it?
Since this is plastic and leather you can easily use a strong adhesive like plumbers goop, or amazing goop or any of them. This stuff bonds EXCELLENTLY to plastic. I used to hard core build and modify nerf guns so plastic is one of my specialities you could say. The goop will glue pretty much anything. Rough the surface up too, that helps.

Super glue might not be as strong or as quickly drying as it usually is.. so I'd forgo that and go for the above, or something rididculously sticky like liquid nails. Let me link you to one of my favorite suppliers! Though you can get it from home depot as well.

Liquid Nails: http://www.mcmaster.com/#7534a63/=7u7ux9

That all being said, give super glue a go first since it is strong and reliable and has the instant effect. If it doesn't work, quick sand and on to something else...
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
Just use epoxy. It will stick to both fine.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
ok, I think I'll go for either the goop or the epoxy. I'll probably decide at work tonight while fronting and facing (and reading the backs of packages). that's one thing i like about my job. I get tons of time to browse around looking at tools and junk.
Go with contact glue. Put it on both faces, leave it to dry, then push the two parts together. It holds everything together.
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
kay, I used 60 second epoxy. holy shit that stuff sets up fast. I mixed some up, put it on the back of the led strip, and it was starting to dry before I got it on there. so I scraped it off and tried again. due to having to get it on there fast I got a little excess pushing out, but not bad. now my pedals are illuminated with a really bright blue! I'd show it off but I can't find the damn camera.
Told ya epoxy would work

Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.