K after I made the mistake of getting the deville. I'm selling it and I wanna get a jcm. Mainly because of Hendrix and page. 2 fav guitarest. Them 2 take me to a diff place. I heard Hendrix played a jcm. I dunno about page. What is the going rate for a jcm head? Also my other fav sound is Clapton. Can I get that out of jcm?

Lastly I want to get a small tube amp for practcing and that I can use for giging thy will tied me over till I got the jcm.

I play a hss strat. I play classic rock. Blues. Rock new modern stuff. Alternitive. For Clapton clean blues should o get a blues jr? Or can the jcm do everything? Just don't wanna waste anymore $
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
Last edited by silly6-string at Jul 6, 2010,
i thought hendrix played a plexi?
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
Jcms came out in the 80s...hendrix did play a plexi so did page. 1950 i believe.
Quote by thematthill5
The man speaks truth.

Quote by Scutchington
That was probably the first time I've ever laughed at the "over 9000" meme.
The JCM didn't even exist until 10 years after Hendrix's death...

It'll be decent for all of the tones you want. It doesn't nail them by any means but you can get reasonably close very easily with a good cab. I see them go for $700-$900 all day, anything more is too much. Just keep the DeVille until you have enough for the JCM, it's fine for home use and gigging and you'll just waste more on a practice amp to hold you over.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
JCM's are very vocal and mid-driven...basically every hairband's tone can be easily reproduced with a JCM. I am pretty sure a Plexi is what you're after. As far as I know, a Plexi will run you a pretty penny these days, but I would suggest you check out the Bugera 1960. I owned the Bugera 1990 and it was just way too much gain to be classic rock...the 1990 is a JCM replica.

So a Plexi or the poor man's Plexi, the Bugera 1960 is what you should try out.

What is your budget?

If you gig with mic'ing your practice amp a Fender Champion 600 with a Tube Screamer/Green Screamer is right up your alley. GREAT classic rock tones there.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
The 1990 is a (very bad) JCM900 clone, I'm pretty sure he was talking about the JCM800. The 1960 is also a very poor Plexi clone that will take ear shattering volumes to achieve breakup. The JCM800 is a better option for him.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
The 1990 is a (very bad) JCM900 clone, I'm pretty sure he was talking about the JCM800. The 1960 is also a very poor Plexi clone that will take ear shattering volumes to achieve breakup. The JCM800 is a better option for him.

Notice the past tense "owned" I had it for 3 weeks and was in love for the first day considering I only paid like 300 for it. Then the honeymoon was over and I hated it. Bugera is good for the money...and thats about it.

I agree wholeheartedly though if he has around 800 bucks to drop.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Quote by primusclaypool1
i thought hendrix played a plexi?

Yup. Didn't have JCM's yet, no-one (Save some underground groups at the time) needed that much gain. And those that did usually got it through some fuzz/overdrive pedal or jumped the thing with a small patch cable. I actually SAW (In a small guitar store in the Pocono's) a Plexi lead that had a jump permanently soldered in. I didn't get to play through it, though, and I'm very disappointed in myself for missing the opportunity.

EDIT: I feel like an old man giving an anecdotal story while missing the point.

You're looking for a Plexi, not a JCM. I saw one somewhere (The point of the story), so its possible to pick one up, but they cost a LOT. And I don't mean beater-car-I-gotta-fix-it-up-and-spend-a-lot-on-parts a lot, I mean DAMN-THAT-IS-ONE-FINE-CLASSIC! a lot...
Last edited by L2112Lif at Jul 6, 2010,
get a Marshall Plexi instead.

The JCM has bad cleans so a Blues JR with a OD pedal should be good for a practise amp.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
It's not uncommon to find Plexis with the channels jumped internally. It doesn't give you more gain, it just fattens up the tone.

And anyone suggesting a Plexi, he was complaining in another thread about how is DeVille is too loud. A Plexi or Plexi type amp would be a poor choice.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Attenuating a cranked Plexi down to bedroom levels will sound like ass. It'll compress the tone like mad and you'll lose any benefits you'd gain from cranking an amp up unless it's one of the very expensive Faustine or Aracom units. However, running one with a Plexi is no more risky than any other amp.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Why not keep the Deville and get a nice pedal that emulates the tone of a Plexi? U can have great cleans and great drive.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Wow I thought someone told me he played a jcm. Hmmm
ok so plexi. What's pro and cons? What watts should I get andwhats a good cab? Plexi can do clean tone Clapton blues?

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Pros: Awesome lower gain tones, very responsive to dynamics, it enlarges your penis
Cons: Loud. Very loud. Needs to be even louder to get the slightest amount of distortion. Like permanent hearing damage after moderate exposure loud.

A good cab would be something with decent construction and speakers, lots of options. And since Clapton used Plexis and variants early in his career, along with Hendrix and Page, it should have no problem getting those tones.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by silly6-string
The plexi is overly loud ?

u have to play it loud to get any distortion out of it.
Quote by silly6-string
The plexi is overly loud ?

For most people, yes. Like I said, it doesn't distort until it gets turned up fairly loud. There is no master volume or channel switching like on the DeVille.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by holycow
Why not keep the Deville and get a nice pedal that emulates the tone of a Plexi? U can have great cleans and great drive.

That's he thing ppl all tell me dif pedals lol

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Quote by BrokenDstring
JCM's are very vocal and mid-driven...basically every hairband's tone can be easily reproduced with a JCM. I am pretty sure a Plexi is what you're after. As far as I know, a Plexi will run you a pretty penny these days, but I would suggest you check out the Bugera 1960. I owned the Bugera 1990 and it was just way too much gain to be classic rock...the 1990 is a JCM replica.

So a Plexi or the poor man's Plexi, the Bugera 1960 is what you should try out.

What is your budget?

If you gig with mic'ing your practice amp a Fender Champion 600 with a Tube Screamer/Green Screamer is right up your alley. GREAT classic rock tones there.

Avoid this amp like the plague. I've AB/ed it against a good 1987 circuit and the Bugera sounded just awful in comparison.

In fact, I wouldn't touch either Marshall clone with a 100' pole.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
^ I was skeptical before trying it out but I was still hopeful the 1960 would at least be comparable - a Super Lead circuit for $400 brand new is an amazing deal - but it really didn't deliver.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
well the whole reason i dont like the deville too loud. But it sounds good for blues. May be instead of selling it i might just get pedals to fix my prob. I hear the love 50 or somthing is good hendrix tone. I want the fuzz face bad. I have a dunlop cry baby gcb - 95. What sound looking for is like machine gun,lover man, spanish castle magic, voodoo child , purple haze, foxy lady. etc especially red house i can almost get the right tone for red house but not quite. Not the fast version the slower version from valley of neptune. Then a pedal for clapton nice warm bluesy tone. Pedals for new alternitive and metal. Can the deville handle that work load?

or save $ and get a pod

and does all these pedals increase vol?

i like the zakk wylde mxr zw 44 nice tone . is that distortion or over drive. Whats the difference?

Tube screamer is jimmi page pedal?

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Last edited by silly6-string at Jul 6, 2010,
the JCM 2000 DSL is my favourite from the JCM range. It sounds like a more modern 800, with more gain on tap and a clean channel that isn't dry and sterile like the 800s.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Get a clean boost pedal as well to drive the preamp harder.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification