I am about to get a custom built cabinet with a 12" Greenback and a 10" Ragin Cajun. Now I know that these are two good speakers, they are both about 5 years old, so they're broken in, more or less. Now, I also know that they both are in the 70 watt neighborhood.

So this cab will be around 140 watts, but the seller says its a 4ohm, 50watt cabinet. I just don't get this.

Help?
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
I'd avoid any used 'custom built' cabs off of Craigslist and the like. They're usually poorly constructed projest that people build when they were low on cash and this particular mix of speakers suggests that. But to address your question, the Greenback is rated for 25w. Since the signal will be split evenly between the speakers, you can only go for whatever the lowest rated speaker is multiplied by the number of speakers, in this case 2X25=50. I assume he has two 8ohm speakers wired in parallel for 4ohms.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Jul 6, 2010,
So basically, this cab will be worthless beyond a 5w head?
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
first post is correct
and i think the most to safely run on it ould be 25 maybe 30 watts tube at the highest if youre really pushing it
Quote by BrokenDstring
So basically, this cab will be worthless beyond a 5w head?

No. Not sure where you got that idea. You can use a 50w head turned up fairly loud and not have to worry about anything. You just have to worry about shoddy construction and poor design when buying a 'custom built' cab like that off of Craigslist, eBay, etc.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Sorry I threw out the wrong number at you...what I meant was this cab will be pointless if I have an 8 ohm minimum head? The 5watt part was mentioned because its fairly hard to find a 15w+ head at 4ohms, right?
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Not really. A lot of Fender designs have an output impedance of 4ohms, namely the Twin. But yea, you can't use it with an 8ohm minimum head unless the head has a 16ohm option and you rewire the cab to run the speakers in series for a 16ohm impedance.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Oh, sweet....thank you for the help, Matt.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam