so my band has its first gig. im really excited. like super excited. but you see, i dont know what to do up there. we are metal, so i know to headbang and all that stuff, but you guys got any advice on other junk i can and could do? any thing i should do before? anything i should do after? any help is apprecitated.
thanks
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
if you can (without pulling out your cable)

have a ****ing rock out itme. headbang, dance, get the crowd involved. juyst dont ruin what youre playing and youre good

SOURCES: experience
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
oh dont worry, ive got a nice wireless system
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
Quote by primusclaypool1
oh dont worry, ive got a nice wireless system

ha i bought one right after my first gig. cause thats wha i did

lol

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

sorry, but i dont do the drugs.
Quote by BobDetroit
If you're a metal band. Make sure you get the crowd going and pumped! When I go see metal bands (I'm more ska/punk), I hate it when they're just standing there and they have like 5 or 6 guys headbanging and everyone else is like ".......cool". Get some ****in' pits! Mosh, Circle, Wall of death (if there's enough people. Anything to get the crowd off their feet. and if someone's being a fag and won't get in, single 'em out! They'll either get in, get forced in, or leave (which means less buzzkills!). Also, if since you have the wireless system, during breakdowns, get in peoples ****ing faces and just **** with 'em or something.
Gear:
Epiphone Archtop Dot
Ibanez RG120
Peavey ValveKing 112
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss Distortion Ds-1
MXR Carbon Copy
Rocktron Banshee Talk box
i do not do the drinking either. i have thought about running into a circle pit at one point, cuz we r opening up for a biggish band around here, so pits and moshing will def ensure
Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by primusclaypool1
i do not do the drinking either. i have thought about running into a circle pit at one point, cuz we r opening up for a biggish band around here, so pits and moshing will def ensure
I saw Austrian Death Machine as an opening band, and their guitarist and bassist got into the circle pit while they were playing. That was pretty crazy.
bunch of edge boys on stage. yay.

but seriously, have fun. break the stereotype of a metalhead having to headbang. Have fun up there, be yourself. That's the reason we do this. To have fun. So if you feel like Pete Townshend today, powerslide across that stage. Whether it's in the program or not. As long as you rock, and have fun rockin' those damn people.
so should i do that then. also i have a superman cape lying around. i kinda wanna wear it, but not sure if it would be awesome, or stupid. i take nothing but the music seriously, so its a good representation of who i am, but not sure if it would go over well
Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by primusclaypool1
so should i do that then. also i have a superman cape lying around. i kinda wanna wear it, but not sure if it would be awesome, or stupid. i take nothing but the music seriously, so its a good representation of who i am, but not sure if it would go over well

i wear a gas mask even during singing. (spiked not military issue style, cyroflesh kind)

go ahead man, plus. the crowd loves mah mask

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

Quote by primusclaypool1

Dude i hate to braek this too you, but your band is gonna suck if you dont drink. Please quit playing metal and work in a church or something.
Are you metal or -core? The audiences and expectations are much different.
Quote by BigBrownBeaver
Dude i hate to braek this too you, but your band is gonna suck if you dont drink. Please quit playing metal and work in a church or something.

how about you keep your dammed opinions to yourself

im a full athiest and have a better time sober than anything else sooo

:P

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

Yeah, wear the ****ing cape.

Also, I've found with experience; that if you're awkward when playing, the crowd is awkward. Even if you do look ****ing stupid (which you will because you're straight edge. haha, just ****ing with you.), no one will care because you'll have a better stage presence.
Gear:
Epiphone Archtop Dot
Ibanez RG120
Peavey ValveKing 112
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss Distortion Ds-1
MXR Carbon Copy
Rocktron Banshee Talk box
Quote by primusclaypool1
sorry, but i dont do the drugs.

You have clearly never been in love...

......On acid.
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Quote by Deadlock Riff
how about you keep your dammed opinions to yourself

im a full athiest and have a better time sober than anything else sooo

:P

Just sayin man your probs gonna get boo'd off stage, but thats cool some people gotta learn the hard way.
my band is not all edge, im not either, im just waitin till i turn 21 till i drink. also, we arent core, but one of the bands thats playing is. a lot are there for us, we have a strong reputation cuz me and the lead guitarists are very well known for our skills around the neighborhood. i play bass, so some parts are balls hard, and some are stupid easy. so im going to have to chill for some parts
Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by BigBrownBeaver
Just sayin man your probs gonna get boo'd off stage, but thats cool some people gotta learn the hard way.
I can't tell if this dude's serious or not. But nah, that's not true, don't listen to him
Quote by Oroborous
I can't tell if this dude's serious or not. But nah, that's not true, don't listen to him

this is the pit. 90% of you arent serious.
Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by primusclaypool1
this is the pit. 90% of you arent serious.

but but but

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

Quote by Deadlock Riff
but but but

ur in the %10
Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by BigBrownBeaver

...yeah, way to be a ****ing dick.

On topic: I've never played a gig myself, but I've been to plenty of shows. Don't just try to rapid fire off each song, try to talk with the crowd a bit. Make them your "friend" in a sense. Don't just say "Okay, we're *Generic metal band name* and this song is called *generic heavy song title*"

"Alright, now we're gonna play *generic heavy song title*

You'll seem like you're insulting the crowds intelligence if you do that.
Rojam's new and improved band!!!!

Listen a little bit, we DON'T suck!
First thing i do before a show is warm up for a decent 40 minutes before, this includes stretching. Believe me, stretch, otherwise you're going to wake up the next day and be as stiff as a board and in a lot of pain. After the gig, talk to the people who saw you, talk to the people who got into it the most first and thank them for getting into it, be nice to your fans and they'll come back! Also, ask for advice from everyone, and i mean EVERYONE! The dude at the back who didn't smile the whole time, the sound tech, the guys in the front row, and the girls behind the bar. They'll tell you what they did and didn't like and give you a lot of things to work on to help out further gigs.

One big thing, don't be a dick to the other bands playing, get there when the doors open and wait till you get kicked out before you go, watch the other bands and they'll watch you, if they helped hook up the gig for you this time, help them hook up a gig later on. These bands are your brothers, find the good ones and don't let go, you'll get a lot more shows and friends out of it in the end!
Quote by SDM
First thing i do before a show is warm up for a decent 40 minutes before, this includes stretching. Believe me, stretch, otherwise you're going to wake up the next day and be as stiff as a board and in a lot of pain. After the gig, talk to the people who saw you, talk to the people who got into it the most first and thank them for getting into it, be nice to your fans and they'll come back! Also, ask for advice from everyone, and i mean EVERYONE! The dude at the back who didn't smile the whole time, the sound tech, the guys in the front row, and the girls behind the bar. They'll tell you what they did and didn't like and give you a lot of things to work on to help out further gigs.

One big thing, don't be a dick to the other bands playing, get there when the doors open and wait till you get kicked out before you go, watch the other bands and they'll watch you, if they helped hook up the gig for you this time, help them hook up a gig later on. These bands are your brothers, find the good ones and don't let go, you'll get a lot more shows and friends out of it in the end!

that is some solid advice, thank you
i was planning on going into the pit to enjoy the other bands, and i was also planning on helping tear down and set up the other bands.
Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by primusclaypool1
that is some solid advice, thank you
i was planning on going into the pit to enjoy the other bands, and i was also planning on helping tear down and set up the other bands.

Not a problem dude, if you have any questions with gigging just give us a shout, i've played my fair share of gigs over the past couple of years and i'm willing to tell you what little i know about it in my experience if it helps haha.

Good idea though, i always try and help the other bands pack up and load in if i can, just ask in advance though, even if you're intentions are good some people will still get a bit weird about a random dude moving their gear, especially if it's a bit pricey.
Quote by SDM
Not a problem dude, if you have any questions with gigging just give us a shout, i've played my fair share of gigs over the past couple of years and i'm willing to tell you what little i know about it in my experience if it helps haha.

Good idea though, i always try and help the other bands pack up and load in if i can, just ask in advance though, even if you're intentions are good some people will still get a bit weird about a random dude moving their gear, especially if it's a bit pricey.

yeah thats true. i dont want anyone touching my amp just in case they mess up the eq. theres a lot of douchebag bands around here so a kind one is going to be a real shock lol
Quote by BobDetroit
any more help plz?
Quote by BobDetroit
Headbang. In sync with the whole band. A lot
Your light bulb knows everything you do in your room.
Quote by reaper_x
Headbang. In sync with the whole band. A lot

you mean like the attack attack video? yeah, that will go over well. im actually good friends with attack attack lol. they go/went to my church
Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by primusclaypool1
you mean like the attack attack video? yeah, that will go over well. im actually good friends with attack attack lol. they go/went to my church

Noooooonononononono.
I'm not talking about crabcore. You'll get bottled. Or Boo'ed.

Quote by reaper_x
Noooooonononononono.
I'm not talking about crabcore. You'll get bottled. Or Boo'ed.

actually, one of the bands there is pretty much crabcore lol they are pretty well known though, so people like them a lot. i could do it if i wanted to, but im not.
Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by primusclaypool1
actually, one of the bands there is pretty much crabcore lol they are pretty well known though, so people like them a lot. i could do it if i wanted to, but im not.

Ahh touche. Touche indeed.
Honestly just move about and try and give the crowd something interesting to watch. The music could be brilliant but its dull as shit to watch a band standing still. Tis what I've learnt from Gigging.
Quote by babakkatt
Whats wrong with asking a girl what kind of cheese she likes?

LOUD NOISES
yeah were kinda similar to btbam and opeth. you know, proggy stuff, so the music isnt dull at all. but im not just going to stand there like a moron
Quote by BobDetroit