I play (insert genre), what amp?
I play (insert genre), what guitar?

I say, to hell with that. Play what sounds good. Play what feels right. Rock the hell out. Who's with me?
I'm not.

Stereotypes help me break down the world in understandable chunks.
*stupid 09'er*

this space is for rent. PM me for rates
Damn, TS you're right.

This a serious problem that needs to be solved right now. Screw the BP oil spill, this shit needs attention.

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

Steam: | PSN: Zeroxxed | Twitter:
Quote by Kilobyte
Damn, TS you're right.

This a serious problem that needs to be solved right now. Screw the BP oil spill, this shit needs attention.

everyone Hurry. jump on the stereotype band wagon

TS = metalcore tween with a knot in their britches
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
That's pretty dumb, people use those "stereotypes" to get the gear that would best fit their genre. I want to get an amp that's good for what I'm playing if I'm spending hundreds - thousands of dollars on one.
Even if we pretend they actually are stereotypes and not advice to help somene get a certain distinctive tone, they're not exactly the most harmful stereotypes I can think of.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
I play the vagina.
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Come back to us after you record your death metal album on a 12-string Ric through a Fender Tweed, and we'll talk.
Quote by 601210
Come back to us after you record your death metal album on a 12-string Ric through a Fender Tweed, and we'll talk.

Quote by Kilobyte
Damn, TS you're right.
n

LOL ok, fine there is bigger things going on. I concur. As an American, I feel that the spill is a terrible thing. They are ruining many peoples lives/livelyhood. In a region that lost most of what it had 5 years ago, this is just a smack in the face.

NOT the point.

Point is, we sit here and bicker that music isn't the same as it used to be, yet we all figure into the stereotypes of, "I play this, SO I need this."

Why can't we all just call ourselves guitar players instead of, "I play metalcore, I play this-core, I play blues, etc"

I would think that If we want change, we need to ask for it collectively. Music is the #1 conveyor of that. In the past, the innovators like Harrison & Hendrix & Gilmour said, fuc* that, I want to do this, with this gear, & I'm going to." Nowadays it's like, I wannna make this sound, so I NEED this." Internet helps/worsens the situation. Thoughts?
Last edited by bbetances at Jul 6, 2010,
Quote by 601210

Oh i'm sure it'd be more than possible. Problem is it will probably be labeled something something rediculous like 12stringricplayedthroughfendertweedcore.

I'd be happy if we got that much. Half the people in EG just say they want a new guitar and expect us to know their pricerange, desires from the guitar, musical tastes and all that.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
That's not a stereotype. People ask those questions because certain rigs are good for certain genres of music. They are trying to get the best sound possible.
KLH & KGB
11/28/09
Oh god, more anti-genre bullshit? Fuck off. Genres are descriptions, not stereotypes. Saying "I play metalcore" is an attempt to be more specific than "I make noises, I dunno".

And I've never met anyone who thought "I play this, so I need this". All the guitar players I've spoken to have tried lots of equipment and chosen the one that they're most happy with, the only people who do what you're describing, as far as I can tell, are new guitarists looking for advice from people more knowledgable.

Go away.
Last edited by whalepudding at Jul 6, 2010,
Quote by bbetances
Point is, we sit here and bicker that music isn't the same as it used to be
Er... we do? Not much bickering needed, of course it's not the same as it used to be.

Quote by bbetances
yet we all figure into the stereotypes of, "I play this, SO I need this."

Why can't we all just call ourselves guitar players instead of, "I play metalcore, I play this-core, I play bluesb, etc"
Most people do this. Nobody introduces themselves by saying "I'm a blues guitarist". The only scenario in which people give information like that is because they want people to recommend them gear that has been tried and tested to be most beneficial for their style of playing.

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

Steam: | PSN: Zeroxxed | Twitter:
Quote by whalepudding
Oh god, more anti-genre bullshit? Fuck off. Genres are descriptions, not stereotypes. Saying "I play metalcore" is an attempt to be more specific than "I make noises, I dunno".

I think that accurately describes my music.

Guys is there any specific gear I need to make noises?
hlp plz
Nothing like a good blog at 4am.

Seriously though, certain gear is the BEST for certain sounds. Yeah I can get a nice clean off of some br00tuhl gtar...but if I'm playing country*, then I want the BEST clean possible.

*BrokenDstring in no way, shape, or form endorses country music.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Quote by Kilobyte
Er... we do? Not much bickering needed, of course it's not the same as it used to be.

Most people do this. Nobody introduces themselves by saying "I'm a blues guitarist". The only scenario in which people give information like that is because they want people to recommend them gear that has been tried and tested to be most beneficial for their style of playing.

1.) Most people I talk to say that music nowadays is crap. Except the teens.

2.) Yes. Most people start a thread saying, I play blues/hard rock/metal/crabcore/jazz/w/e

I guess I'm talking about the human condition more so than the "community".

Then again, I guess all of you have proved my point. Thanks.
Last edited by bbetances at Jul 6, 2010,
Quote by Scourge
I think that accurately describes my music.

Guys is there any specific gear I need to make noises?
hlp plz

You need various gear and whatnot. Play what sounds good.

Now imagine this exchange being repeated in every thread in the gear forums, and you'll see why people say "I'm a blues guitarist".
Quote by whalepudding
You need various gear and whatnot. Play what sounds good.

Now imagine this exchange being repeated in every thread in the gear forums, and you'll see why people say "I'm a blues guitarist".

oy. this turned into a fu*kfest.

/thread
Quote by bbetances
oy. this turned into a fu*kfest.

/thread

you cnat end thread

youre not popular enough

now if i were to say so, it would most definately happen

soo shushies youngin
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Quote by bbetances

2.) Yes. Most people start a thread saying, I play blues/hard rock/metal/crabcore/jazz/w/e

Your "point" was retarded.
Quote by bbetances

1) Only stupid people say that.
2) That's because they know it's a good way to ask for a certain sound. E.g. If I told you I was playing classic rock, surely you would recommend a nice tube amp? AC30 or something? It's just helping them get the tone they already want. Most people that have to ask those kinds of questions haven't advanced enough to be trialling a ton of gear and probably wouldn't have as refined an ear anyway.

What's the problem, did someone give you shit for your Spider?
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
Holy Crap.

I love you more than life itself.
Quote by bbetances
LOL ok, fine there is bigger things going on. I concur. As an American, I feel that the spill is a terrible thing. They are ruining many peoples lives/livelyhood. In a region that lost most of what it had 5 years ago, this is just a smack in the face.

NOT the point.

Point is, we sit here and bicker that music isn't the same as it used to be, yet we all figure into the stereotypes of, "I play this, SO I need this."

Why can't we all just call ourselves guitar players instead of, "I play metalcore, I play this-core, I play blues, etc"

I would think that If we want change, we need to ask for it collectively. Music is the #1 conveyor of that. In the past, the innovators like Harrison & Hendrix & Gilmour said, fuc* that, I want to do this, with this gear, & I'm going to." Nowadays it's like, I wannna make this sound, so I NEED this." Internet helps/worsens the situation. Thoughts?

Harrison, Hendrix, and Gilmour also knew the exact sounds they were going for and used the equipment best suited to get them there. It's not like they were playing on just anything.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.