So I finally decided on my new guitar, one of the Fender Classic 50s reissue series, in Daphne Blue. One beautiful guitar. But I need some advice from someone more experienced with strats before I go ahead and buy all the necessary stuff to do what I want to do.

I haven't decided just which pup yet, but I'm replacing the single coiled bridge with a humbucker, probably a Duncan Invader, maybe a JB, just not sure.

But my real question is whether I can simply buy a new pick guard for an HSS set up to replace my current one and place in the new humbucker, or will that require more than a new pick guard.

I saw a vid on Youtube, and this guy had opened up his strat, where there was a cavity large enough in the body to fit a humbucker. I figured that all you'd have to do is get a new pick guard and you'd be set. Does that make sense?

Okay GG&A, go.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
It depends on the guitar. The MIM Fenders are pretty inconsistent as far as pickup routes from what I've seen so you'll have to wait until you get it to see how much work it needs. That being said, I'd be very surprised if it isn't routed for a humbucker in the bridge though. I've only seen one MIM Strat that was routed SSS, most are HSS or have the 'swimming pool' route. You'd be pretty safe with ordering a new pickguard and the humbucker. As far as which one, I really don't recommend the Invader. It's an awful pickup that really lacks clarity IMO. The JB is decent, too bright for me but it works nice for an 80s metal type tone.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
My MIM strat is routed for HSS right now. If yours isnt, there is always single-coil sized humbuckers out there that can do what you want. I swapped all my SS pups out with single-coil-sized humbucker pups, which fattened the tone without any routing work needed. It's all about what you want to do. Strats are (IMO) the most customizable guitars on the planet.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Last edited by cdr_salamander at Jul 6, 2010,
MIM Strats can be pretty inconsistent with pup routing.

I recommend to hold off on buying pups until you get a chance to see what routing you have.

Trust me on that I own two strats both had different routes.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Last edited by dark Mass at Jul 6, 2010,
Quote by dark Mass
MIM Strats can be pretty inconsistent with pup routing.

I recommend to hold off on buying pups until you get a chance to see what routing you have.

Inconsistent? I had mine changed to single-coil sized HHH and the only thing I did was have my pots changed to 5K which was relatively cheap. Most MIM strats are HSS routed which is a plus.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by cdr_salamander
Inconsistent? I had mine changed to single-coil sized HHH and the only thing I did was have my pots changed to 5K which was relatively cheap. Most MIM strats are HSS routed which is a plus.

Both of my strats were SSS when i bought them one had HSS routing while the other had SSS routing. I bought them new three month apart.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Last edited by dark Mass at Jul 6, 2010,
Quote by dark Mass
Both of my strats were SSS when i bought them one had HSS routing while the other had SSS routing. I bought them new three month apart.

Sorry, I forgot to include this in my first post that (a majority) of MIM strats come HSS routed already, which mine is. I just decided to not fiddle with it and go hybrid. Hope this helps the OP.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger

Taylor 414CE
Thanks to all who have replied. I'll definitely wait before making any other purchases until I see the inside of my guitar.

And Matt, what pups do you recommend? I play punk, blues and jazz mostly, but I will dabble in everything.
Something in the PAF or hot PAF vein for the bridge. Seymour Duncan makes the best cheaper ones IMO. If you want to spend more, there's Lollar, WCR, Wolfetone, etc.

Do you want to get new neck and mid pups or just a new bridge pup?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
the fact that it's a 50's classic means it def may not be routed hss. and are you sure it's not a 60's classic? that's the only mim one i'm aware of in daphne blue but i could be wrong.

either way, can you ask the shop to check under the pick guard? they may.

also, listen to matt on the pickups. i say this with confidence.
Quote by mmolteratx
Something in the PAF or hot PAF vein for the bridge. Seymour Duncan makes the best cheaper ones IMO. If you want to spend more, there's Lollar, WCR, Wolfetone, etc.

Do you want to get new neck and mid pups or just a new bridge pup?

Probably just a new bridge pup for now, then new neck and mid pups after I get my new head/PA/miscellaneous gear. I'll probably go more affordable, unless the more expensive ones are genuinely worth it. And I'll check into the PAF pups.

Quote by gregs1020
the fact that it's a 50's classic means it def may not be routed hss. and are you sure it's not a 60's classic? that's the only mim one i'm aware of in daphne blue but i could be wrong.

either way, can you ask the shop to check under the pick guard? they may.

also, listen to matt on the pickups. i say this with confidence.

To the bold; I hadn't thought of that before, but I don't think they would take it that far as to route it for ONLY for SSS to 100% replicate the 50s era guitars. Besides, there's a 30 day money back guarantee, so not a biggie if it happens to be routed for only SSS. I can check under the pick guard myself and see for sure whether its only routed for SSS when I get it.

To the underline; I'm 100% sure. The 60s remakes have Lake Placid Blue, definitely not Daphne Blue. I got the 50s remake specifically because of the thin neck and the rare color it came in, plus I tried it out in fiesta red at GC, and it played brilliantly.
bumping this in the hopes that Matt gives input where it is a 50s reissue and might not be routed conveniently enough.
Quote by cdr_salamander
Inconsistent? I had mine changed to single-coil sized HHH and the only thing I did was have my pots changed to 5K which was relatively cheap.
That oughta be a tone sucker!