Page 1 of 2
Was looking in the other forums, and saw a "Best Guitar Tone" thread, and wondered why there was no bass one? Well, off you go!
I love Geezer Butler's tone, at least in the N.I.B intro.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
I have a couple favorites.

Doris Yeh and Lena Abe are my current favorites.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Justin Chancellor on 10,000 Days
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
your mother
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
From a national band called Dead Letter Circus, nice warwicky thumbness tone through an Ampeg

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Satin
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack
Xotic BB Preamp
TC Flashback X4
Strymon Timeline
EHX POG 2
JHS Double Barrel
Any tone I can actually hear clearly without needing a lot of distortion is good in my book. Including Flea, Gene Simmons, Geddy Lee, ...the usual suspects.

Another couple classics I like are April Wine (Roller), and Sweeney Todd (Roxy Roller), they both have a lot of punch and are very up front in the mix.
that tone from the Boston song, foreplay, about 2 minutes in.........no wait, that's a piano.

EDIT: always wish I had bass tone that sounded like that though
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
Stefan Lessard on anything from Before These Crowded Streets and Under the Table and Dreaming.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
I really like Brant Bjork's bass tone on his first solo album Jalamanta.
Anything from Robert DeLeo of the Stone Temple Pilots. His tone is rough and gruff and definately mixed so it stands out just as much as his brother's (Dean DeLeo) guitars. Try any song on Purple and Shangri-La Dee Da.
"It's better to be kind. Being clever or good looking is subjective. Kindness is essential" - Ricky Gervais
Well, fingerstyle I'd have to say Tim Commerford or Flea. Pickstyle I'd go with David Ellefson and Frank Bello.
Jaco's tone. Its so sweet and incredibly distinctive to the point you can listen to a record and say...hey, is that bassist Jaco?
Jeff Ament's live tone
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Fat Mike's tone on The Longest Line EP and Cokie The Clown EP
And Chris #2's tone on Underground Network
Spoon + Pen = Spen
Quote by HJS >.>
What would be the best bass string size to play something like Slipknot

Quote by Brad_Bassist
No strings. If you're playing Slipknot, you don't deserve strings.
Last edited by LicenseToPunk at Jul 6, 2010,
I really like Ryan Martinie's tone and Jason Newsted's tone.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
Dave Ellefson off 'Rust in Peace' or Jon Gallant in Billy Talent I or II. Pretty opposite tones, they just sound so great in the mix.
signature
Brian Cook - (Botch, These Arms are Snakes, Russian Circles) (specifically the effect ussage in TAAS)
Nick Thieneman - (Breather Resist, Brain Banger, Young Widows) (amazing distorted tone and awesome bass lines in all projects)
Kevin Lamielle - (Majority Rule, Haram) (fuzzed out bass and amazing lines in Maj.Rule.)
Leon Wilkison - (Clikitat Ikatowi) (super techy for an old 'screamo' band, RIP)
Vern Rumsey - (Unwound, Blonde Redhead) (great lines in Unwound)
Jared Warren - (KARP, Big Buisiness, The Melvins) (Big. Effing. Buisiness.)

...and...

Mike Dirnt - (Green Day) (The bass tone on 'Insomniac'... so good)
Last edited by Din of Win at Jul 6, 2010,
Juan Alderette's tone on The Bedlam In Goliath (when it isn't drenched in effects)
Geddy Lee's tone on 2112, Permanent Waves, and Farewell To Kings
Colin Edwin's tone on everything
Tim Commerford's tone I can't get over, but like Spaz said he keeps that beautiful tone so secretive to make sure nobody copies him. But thats one reason I like it so much and it just sounds sick .
twiggy ramirez on the song apple of sodom by marilyn manson
Quote by tacaco1000
yes, babies tend to become a blue gooey liquid when kept inside a plastic bottle in the dark for a year.
Quote by anarkee
Jaco's tone. Its so sweet and incredibly distinctive to the point you can listen to a record and say...hey, is that bassist Jaco?
+1.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
The God of Bass Guitar known as John Entwistle ....all I need to say about his tone is...Live At Leeds....
Flea (RHCP) - Suck My Kiss
John Moyer (Disturbed) - Stricken
Paul D'amour (Tool) - The Grudge
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Last edited by SOADriff at Jul 7, 2010,
I prefer the sound of pickstyle so I will have to go with the obvious Jason Newsted and David Ellefson. Davids tone in the Rust In Peace album or Peace Sells is so ****ing awesome, I wish I could emulate that somehow. Ellefson Rules!!!
FISH ON!!!!

Quote by Derk'ed
Women love it better with fingers. Treat a bass like a woman. Fingers or piece of plastic?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
les claypools tone in jerry was a racecar driver or in DMV
Quote by Stugg334
I just started writing a metal solo, and so far I have:

*Hit Lead Button On Mesa*
*Spread legs to width of 160cm*
*Perform facial expression akin to that of having a woodpecker chip away at your rectum*
*Practice scales*

My greencaster =)
Page 1 of 2