well my mom said she'd buy me a pedal for my birthday and the local music shop has pretty much just 2 pedals, the blues driver and the ds-1, and I'm kinda torn between the two because I love the smooth and not so harsh sound from the blues driver but the ds-1 is like lengendary and I have a habbit of playing hard rock when I get tired of the normal blues and classic rock or when I've had a bad day, so any info or anything that will tip the scales or even a different pedal but those are probably best considering the price and everything.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
neither. take the cash and run
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
i'd go for the DS-1, it has a wide range of distortion and different sounds. I play blues on my own but hard rock in a band, and it suits both of my needs. You can always get the BD-2 later on, like i want.
to me the bd-2 is the obvious choice. why do you think it sells for twice the price as the ds-1? it's a much better pedal all around in my opinion.
i was wondering about the ds-1's sound and all that, i've hears thats its real trebbley (or however you spell that) but is that true?

edit: Yeah but isn't the ds-1 a lot older than the blues driver? so is it really worth twice as much?
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Last edited by grungebaby at Jul 6, 2010,
A modded DS-1 can sound pretty good, but stock the DS-1 is pretty bad IMO.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
i honestly didn't think they made them anymore haha i was shocked when i saw the boxes of them, and are there any better pedals around the same price as the bd? cause i'd order offline if i have to or have the shop order
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
I'd shoot for the DS-1, as it can nail high-treble / high-gain stuff but at the same time with distortion knob turned down to like 8 oclock it nails dirty bluesy tones also (trust me, I owned one )
The Blues Driver is actually a really good pedal, and can get pretty raucous and dirty if you turn it up. It's better modded, but doesn't suck as stock. Does for me, anyway.
Ibanez Musician ('78)/Epiphone G-400/Fender Lite Ash Telecaster/Michael Kelly Valor X->Polytune->EX-7->Crybaby->OD-9->BD-2->EVH Phase 90->Hayden Mofo

Send->EHX DMB->DL-8->RV600->Return

Friends are like potatoes: If you eat them, they die.
it kinda seems like the choice comes down to opinion i guess i know kurt cobain used the ds-1 but i can't stand that high pitched messy sound of his without at least a little bass

edit: also by modded you guys wouldn't be talking about the keeley mod would you? or do you guys just mod them on your own?
What other equipment are you using, and why do you want a distortion/overdrive pedal?

These may not seem like the most helpful of questions but they can help us help you
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
nah, i understand and ESP LTD F-50>vypyr 15w and i want one mainly so i can go from distorted to clean without having to stop and turn a knob and please do not recomend a new amp, very tight on money right now.
edit: always forgetting something, theres not very many light distortions on this amp too so that would be another main thing too
Ah, well no i'm not gonna recommend a new amp.

I would, however, probably recommend that you get the sanpera I footswitch for the vypyr. It might be a bit more complicated to setup than a distortion pedal but it'd give you the function of switching between clean and distorted tones without having to adjust your amp, but using the amp's distortion and not a pedal. It's highly likely that the amp's distortion sounds better than running a boss pedal into a clean setting, because digital modellers like the vypyr don't really mix with distortion pedals too well.

I don't know what the prices are like elsewhere but in the UK the peavey sanpera I costs about the same as a Boss blues driver.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
yeah thats where having a 15w vypyr screws you in more way than one, they don't have the compatability with the sanpera but how bad of a mix are we talking here? because i'm personally saving for a new amp so if a have a pedal already to go with the new amp i could probably just grit my teeth till i get the new amp
Quote by grungebaby
yeah thats where having a 15w vypyr screws you in more way than one, they don't have the compatability with the sanpera but how bad of a mix are we talking here? because i'm personally saving for a new amp so if a have a pedal already to go with the new amp i could probably just grit my teeth till i get the new amp

The mix shouldn't be too bad

my old rig was a DS1 into a Spider IV 30, and I managed to get a decent high-treble JCM900 type tone out of it.

But MAKE SURE your amp is on the cleanest channel, with the gain set very minimal.

For the Vypyr, that will most likely be the Twin setting
alright, this might be a stupid question but is the blues driver an overdrive pedal or a distortion pedal because i've heard overdrive pedals won't work at all with modellers
Neither will work well with modellers tbh, but the blues driver is an overdrive. If you really want a pedal, I'd go with the blues driver. Unless you can mod, if you can then get the ds-1 and mod it.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
alright, well when you say it won't work well do you mean it won't sound good in comparison to a real amp or that it will sound just downright horrible? and how will it not sound good?
Well I don't really know because I've never tried the vypyr. It might sound alright at best, but it won't have the same difference as say, plugging that pedal into a nice clear valve amp. (I don't mean to be one of those guys that thinks that everything solid state is worthless, but I've just found that pedals work better with valve amps. Although pedals work well with the JC-120 which is SS.)

You could find yourself some tone that you like, but it might come of sounding a bit cráp. Your best bet is to set the amp to a very neutral and clean model and then use the pedal on that.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Last edited by PussyPunk182 at Jul 6, 2010,
alright well like i said earlier if it will be ok enough so that i can grit my teeth till i get a new amp then its all good
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Sounds like a good idea to me. It's not an amazing situation but it's always good to have more sounds in your arsenal and it may come in useful later on. Don't write it off though, work hard at dialing in those knobs and you might get some stuff you quite like.

Good luck
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
alright, thanks for all the help everyone
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15