So I currently have EMG 81/60's, so far I like them. But I have never run them through a real amp(soon I will be through my Suckerpunch 15) I have 3 questions, does the 18v mod I hear about alot really make a big difference? I know this is opinion based but,Is the 81/85 a better combo for Modern rock/metal and how do the SD Blackouts compare? Thanks guys.
Gear-
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000 VB
Epiphone Negative G-400 SG
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
CEC Amplification Suckerpunch 15
Catalinbread DLS v2
Humphrey Audio Slo/Diezel mod MT-2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic
1.The 18v mod add more headroom to the pups.
2/3. The 81/85 is a is a over used combo in hard rock/Metal. The EMGs don't compare the SD Blackouts since they have a more organic sound than the 81/85.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
The 18v mod just gives teh pups that bit of extra head space, not hugely important though.

IMO, SD Blackouts pale in comparison to the EMG's simply
because I prefer the tone over that of the SD's.
Blackout's to me sound like they are going for a more gainy, trebly attack. Whereas EMG's are more bassy and chunky, but much thinner sounding when it comes to leads.

The 18v mod simply gives the pickups more headroom resulting in better cleans and a more organic tone, it reduces compression. Both SD and EMG offer alternatives to their models that are already 18v modded.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
If you already have room for another battery then the 18V mod would be worthwhile, otherwise look into the new X series EMGs
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
So look into the EMG X model or the Blackouts?
Gear-
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
Catalinbread DLS v2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic
I don't agree with anyone saying emgs are better than blackouts. All emgs sound exactly the same and they color your tone so much. Why do you think emg came out with the increased headroom x model? Because so many people prefer blackouts and for good reason. I havnt played the x but have heard from a few people that it sucks Blackouts aren't as digital sounding. Everyone has their own preference but definitely check out the ahb3's if you play heavy stuff
what kind of palm muting is best for metal?
cut off some guys hand and place it under the strings. brutal low end bro.
Quote by TheBrownPenguin
I don't agree with anyone saying emgs are better than blackouts. All emgs sound exactly the same and they color your tone so much. Why do you think emg came out with the increased headroom x model? Because so many people prefer blackouts and for good reason. I havnt played the x but have heard from a few people that it sucks Blackouts aren't as digital sounding. Everyone has their own preference but definitely check out the ahb3's if you play heavy stuff

are Blackouts interchangeable with EMG's?
Gear-
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
Catalinbread DLS v2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic