I want to buy a US Strat, but i have very little knowledge on the different models available.
I go to the guitar store and there are literally 10s of different models, with a huge price range. Is there a good guide anywhere for what the difference is between a Highway 1 and a Deluxe? etc etc?

Also, i want to look 2nd hand to ensure i get good value for money, but how is the 2nd hand value of these guitars realised?
I have seen a nice USA HSS with S1 switch for less than £500 but have no idea if that would be a good deal.

I think what i'm looking for is a general guide of each Strat option and what the extra price brings, ie pickups etc.

Can anybody help?
Thanks
Last edited by branny1982 at Jul 6, 2010,
u really just have to try all them out, and hear and feel the difference for urself.
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Quote by branny1982

Is there a good guide anywhere for what the difference is between a Highway 1 and a Deluxe? etc etc?
Yes, the Fender site.

Also, i want to look 2nd hand to ensure i get good value for money, but how is the 2nd hand value of these guitars realised?
I have seen a nice USA HSS with S1 switch for less than £500 but have no idea if that would be a good deal.
For American Standards and Deluxe models, you usually look up the new price and take off a third if the guitar is in great condition or halve the new price if it's a bit banged up. For MIA Highway One and Special guitars you typically halve the new price regardless of condition.
Give that the American Deluxe HSS Strat is usually around a grand give-or-take depending on the finish, £500 is a fantastic price, if it's still in good condition. If it's been messed around with and thrashed a lot then that's just a fair price. I can save you the hassle of comparing the specs and tell you right now that the American Deluxe HSS models are the best guitars Fender makes other than the Custom Shop guitars; S-1 switch, LSR roller nut, contoured heel, the same quality woods that they use in Fender Custom Shop guitars. Frankly even if it is quite beaten up, an Am Deluxe HSS Strat isn't something you want to pass up.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
also, this is a particularly good time to buy a USA deluxe model from 2009. there are still a bunch in the stores and the new 2010 models have new finishes. so the '09 deluxe models have priced dropped to within $100 of the standards. i would think you may see some of that over on your side of the pond. and hss with s1 switching would be a deluxe and likely hold it's value the best of "new" strats imo. (also, many deluxe models have ash bodies, not all but some which i would think would hold their value the most).

if you bought used, you could always likely recoup your full investment if you were to decide to sell it sooner than later.
Quote by MrFlibble

Give that the American Deluxe HSS Strat is usually around a grand give-or-take depending on the finish, £500 is a fantastic price, if it's still in good condition. If it's been messed around with and thrashed a lot then that's just a fair price. I can save you the hassle of comparing the specs and tell you right now that the American Deluxe HSS models are the best guitars Fender makes other than the Custom Shop guitars; S-1 switch, LSR roller nut, contoured heel, the same quality woods that they use in Fender Custom Shop guitars. Frankly even if it is quite beaten up, an Am Deluxe HSS Strat isn't something you want to pass up.

I agree with all you say Mr Flibble but he doesn't say it's a deluxe HSS. If it's not, then it seems like a fair price, if it is then bite their hand off!

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Some great advice, thanks!

Just to clarify, is a HSS strat with S1 definately a 'Deluxe'?? It is just listed as 'AM strat HSS STSW'.
Stated purchase price of £820 last year, though built 2003/2004.

If this guitar is what 'MrFlibble' speaks of then i think i will buy.

Thanks again.

edit - dr jon, you have spotted my query!
Looking at the fender site, i notice that the old American Std Strat HSS used to have S1 switching, therefore i think this is the type i have seen for sale.
What will this guitar lack from the deluxe?
Last edited by branny1982 at Jul 6, 2010,
well, from memory, the main differences are a roller nut and locking tuners. i have a deluxe hss with s1, it's a cracking guitar.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix