I have both a Tele and Strat that both use D'Addario 9's and basically I wanted to learn a few Tool songs that are in Drop B, so I'm looking to change one of their strings sizes. Anyways, what Gauge would I have to get to be able to accomplish Drop B? And would I have to adjust my neck in anyway? I just wanna make sure it'll be worth doing just to learn a few songs and try something new.

Thanks in advance if I don't get a chance to reply back.
Current Gear:
Mexican Fender Telecaster
Robert Smith custom Jazzmaster
Stratocaster
Vox AC4TV
Which Tool songs are in Drop B???

EDIT : For drop B, you're pretty much looking at baritone guitar tuning.

So : around 0.12/0.11 for the thinnest string, and between 0.62/0.64 for the thickest string. I use 0.12-0.64s on my baritone, but I'm in A baritone tuning...

Double EDIT : And you would definitely have to adjust the action...
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Last edited by Dream Floyd at Jul 6, 2010,
There is no set gauge you need to use to play in any given tuning. Everyone prefers different string tension, some like their strings slack, others like their strings tight. However, it will be hard to tune down to Drop B with a standard set of .09 strings without losing all sustain, getting a lot of buzzing and having terrible action. Changing to a set of .11s with a .56 sixth string (usually .11s come with a .48 or .52 sixth string) will keep roughly the same tension in Drop B as your guitars currently have with the .09s in E Standard. Bear in mind though that just having the same tension doesn't equal the same feel, as the new strings will be thicker they will feel different under your fingers, especially when barring across several strings. Using a different brand of string can help somewhat; Ernie Ball make titanium-coated strings which are always a little tauter than their regular strings and the standard strings of other brands, and Fender make several versions of their ''bullet'' series of strings which include nickel and steel versions which offer different tones and tension, even at the same gauge.

As far as guitar set up goes, you'll need to very slightly straighten the truss rod; if you don't know how to do this, take the guitar to a professional since adjusting the truss rod incorrectly can potentially damage a guitar's neck beyond repair. The nut may need to be altered too; especially for the sixth string, the nut slots may need to be widened. The bridge will have to be adjusted as intonation will need to be tweaked and the string height will have to be raised so that the thicker strings can clear the frets properly. In the case of your Stratocaster, if you want to keep using the vibrato bridge then the springs in the back will need to be adjust to match the new tension and tuning.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
You might be better off getting a set up with a tech if you don't know what you're doing alone. They'll set up your action, sort any fret buzz and also and truss rod adjustments.
Quote by output24
Haha, owned!
U win fender.

Quote by wiggy1988
teacher- Some slave owners would fight duels using their slaves
Me- So, sort of like Pokemon with people..Black man, I choose you!
What tool songs are in Drop B?

I know LOTS of Tool and I don't recall them ever playing a song in drop B.

I use .10's and I just drop the 1 string to whatever for the song you are wanting to learn. You don't need a whole new set of strings. It won't be THAT floppy.

Just tune down and play.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ