Hey,

So I'm really trying to upgrade my dinky little Marshall 15W practice amp, and after much searching and a bit of trying, I think I want a "good" Line 6 amp. I really do like the versatility in sounds from the modeling and built-in effects, and I plan to use the FBV floorboard to have all full control with my feet.

I've been looking at the Flextone III more, mostly online since most stores don't carry them, but then Line 6 introduced the new Spider Valve, which is supposed to be a big upgrade over the original Valves. Previous threads described that most Line 6 amps are mediocre with only the Flextone and Vetta being worthwhile, but that was before this upgrade, and general consensus does make it seem that the MkII could rival the Flextone I've been eyeing.

So how do these two amps compare? I play an Ibanez RG350 with upgraded pickups and a wide range of styles from jazz/blues to metal and everything in between.
I just sold my spider valve to go back to a ht-5... which isnt a great amp either imo, damn economy.

go figure.

unless you really need a modeling amp i suggest you look at the one tone you want most and get a "proper" amp.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
FLEX 3 has better modeling (more flexibility as well-- amp models, cabs and effects) and in my opinion sounds better than the SV. The negative about the Flex 3 is that its not the best if you're looking for a lot of metal tones etc. I say this because there is no OD feature on the Flex 3 that I'm aware of and the only amp model that provides that super tight bottom end is the Line 6 Insane.

If you're not looking for that super tight bottom end then go for the Flex 3 unless you like the Insane model on the flex 3, which is pretty good if you spend time on the EQ and keep the gain down.
Would the digital sound of the Flextone sound better than the Bogner tubes of the Spider Valve MkII? Or were you comparing it to the original SV?
Quote by FireStarter15
Would the digital sound of the Flextone sound better than the Bogner tubes of the Spider Valve MkII? Or were you comparing it to the original SV?

I really didn't like the Spider Valve when I tried it. I found it muddy, undefined and pretty terrible, but I've been told I might've been doing it wrong. The trick with the Spider Valves is to run the master high and the channel volumes low.

The Flextone is pretty time-tested and people tend to like it alot, so it's definitely a reliable option.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by FireStarter15

You make it sound like "digital sound" is by default bad. Not always. In the cases of the Flextone, the AxeFX, or Vetta, it sounds pretty darned good!
I used to own a Spider Valve HD100 MKI and I even modded it with strymons SVpre mod. The cleans were absolute shit in my opinion, I had to use an Boss EQ pedal in the loop to achieve a good clean channel. The Insane channel and Metal channels were pretty great though, when I bought my Mark V I compared the hi gain channels and noticed that the valve wasn't that bad (the Mark V still completely dominated though ) I'm pretty sure the Valve MKII is a lot better than the MKI especially with added modeling effects but for the price, I bet you can find something better for less.

Personally I got tired of the Valve HD100 because of the lack of feel, and because when I switched channels, they didn't blend well at all, unlike the Mark V. Just wanted to give you my thoughts, hope it was of some help.

Are you sure you want a modeling amp?
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory