Hey guys!

My friend just restored a 65 year old Fender American Deluxe Strat after a shit lotta work...
Everything seems to be fine, except for this one thing...

The neck's curvature is too much towards the string... so you can't play any note below the frets on the middle of the fretboard.... o.O
I tried adjusting the truss rod, but when I loosen the truss rod, the screw comes off, that's it... you can only tighten the truss rod, and not loosen it....

So would you guys know what to do to??? Is there any way of fixing this, without buying a new neck? Coz the dude already put all the cash he had into restoring this guitar... and now can't afford buy anything more for it for a while...
Last edited by nemesis_911 at Jul 6, 2010,
So basically the neck is just bowed from the string tension? First things first, don't touch the truss rod seeing as you clearly have no idea how to use one. Secondly, you need to tighten it to reduce the bowing, the only reason you'd want to loosen it is if you don't have enough relief or have back-bowing problems.
Honestly it it's the original neck, take it to a luthier. Not knocking you or your friends knowledge but with something like a vintage fender it's better off in the hands of a proffessional when it comes to risky adjustments like this. Also, do you mean it's a 1965? strats weren't made until '54 and 65 years old would put it in '45. Just saying
You have a back bow in the neck. Try putting heavier gauge strings on it....it'll increase the tension and pull it straighter. That's really the only easy way to try to fix it. If that doesn't work, then it'll take an experienced luthier to fix it and it'll be very expensive. Or you can buy a new neck.
[thread="1285220"]First Build - Zebrawood Tele[/thread]
[thread="1288529"]Second Build[/thread]
[thread="1334385"]Curbside Build[/thread]
Well it didn bow due to the string tension... it was apparently like this the whole time...
This guitar was in a REALLY bad condition when he found it... he kinda (and yea... I meant 1965... MY BAD!!!)

@ pot head pyro...
I read an article online before doing so... but lolz... you are right... turns out he said the same thing (except in a much more confusing manner)...

Anyways just asked, coz I also advised him to give it to a pro... but since he was in a rush to fix this, I decided to help... I finally convinced him to give it to one... but we just wanted to know whether there's hope in keeping this neck. Because he's a lil' short on funds....