What are the good and bad points of switching to a heavier set of guitar strings?
And how would it change the sound/tone?
Right now im using Ernie Ball Regular Slinky (10-46)
Would It put more stress on the neck?
Last edited by gary1991 at Jul 6, 2010,
If I'm remembering correctly, heavier gauge strings will give more tension when downtuned or using an e.r.g..

As for the pros and cons, there aren't really any I can think of. I just depends on whether or not you like the sound of them.

Actually the only con I can think of is if you're using something like an .080. Then you might find that the hole in the tuning post isn't big enough to accommodate them.

Oh, and +1 for Elixir Nanowebs.
Last edited by Nightgaunt at Jul 6, 2010,
Heavier strings will be easier to fret but harder to bend. They'll also probably give a thicker, chunkier tone, although equally string brand can change this. Dependant on which strings you go for you might need to setup the guitar again, although I didn't have problems switching from 9-42 to 10-52.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
yeah it just depends on the styles you play. I play a lot of blues so i stay on the lighter end but for most subgenres of metal (where drop D,C,B are a necessity) lower gauge strings become a necessity to keep the sound from sounding like crap.

i used the hyrid slinkys and my moms boyfriend thinks a .10 is too thick for what I'm trying for but it's just how you like it.
The other thing is the scale length. I play a 9-46 on my RG (25.5" scale) and have no problems in standard or drop D, but they feel far too floppy on my SZR or Explorer in drop D (although my Explorer usually ends up in D standard/drop C).
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
I have one thing to say... OUCH MY FINGERS! I recently switched from .9-.42 to .12 - .54
Sounds much "heavier", good for metal. Sounds different on the clean channel. That's all I can say.
gives the guitar a ticker tone
sounds better downtuned (to make bending easier)
makes hammering on/pulling off easier

However, there are advantage to lighter strings

play faster
bend more easily
thinner sound (if you prefer that anyway)
and for me, thinner strings = easier/faster sweep picking
I dont really want to have a metal sound,
What string guage would be good for a bluesy rock sound?
Quote by gary1991
I dont really want to have a metal sound,
What string guage would be good for a bluesy rock sound?

my strat with .09 - .45 tuned to E Standard / E Flat nails blues tones
Quote by B.Renegades

I've got a les paul, but i think i'll still try them anyway.
Quote by B.Renegades
gives the guitar a ticker tone
sounds better downtuned (to make bending easier)
makes hammering on/pulling off easier

However, there are advantage to lighter strings

play faster
bend more easily
thinner sound (if you prefer that anyway)
and for me, thinner strings = easier/faster sweep picking

For me I play slower with lighter strings, the higher the tension the less they move around if that makes sense?! Alternate picking is harder to play fast with floppy strings
what kind of palm muting is best for metal?
cut off some guys hand and place it under the strings. brutal low end bro.
If you want to go heavier but not play metal then I think you should go for 9/10-50 or 10-52. It all depends on how much you like to bend the strings. If you need to do crazy bends then you should stick with 9-46, if you only do moderate bends 10-52 should be fine, I can manhandle 10-52s all day long but they are not for everybody. I would never go bigger than 52, then you are getting into mud territory imo.
Peavey XXX 40efx
Schecter C1+ (sd 59bA4 neck/sd Custom8 Bridge)
Washburn Idol WI45(AirNorton/CrunchLab)

ESP/LTD Viper 300(EMG81b,89n)
Boss SD-1, Crybaby, MXR 6-band EQ,
Digitech DL-8 Delay Looper, SupaCharga
Quote by B.Renegades

o_O

Are you crazy? Blues is all about having THICK strings if anything. SRV used 13s on his strat tuned to Eflat. Thin strings don't give as full a sound for blues as thick ones imo :/
Quote by fnichols1
If you want to go heavier but not play metal then I think you should go for 9/10-50 or 10-52. It all depends on how much you like to bend the strings. If you need to do crazy bends then you should stick with 9-46, if you only do moderate bends 10-52 should be fine, I can manhandle 10-52s all day long but they are not for everybody. I would never go bigger than 52, then you are getting into mud territory imo.

wat

Thin strings are easier to play on a lot of levels, but personally I feel practice on thicker strings is better. If you lurk the technique forum a bit you'll see a few people talking about how practice on a heavily strung acoustic helped them get better technique and feel. I recently switched to 11's and it's helped my finger strength along a lot.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.