Are Epiphone a good maker of les paul models because they seem to be quite elegant so i was wondering if someone wjo knew a bit more about them could tell me if its worth my money to buy 1.

the model im looking at is the Les Paul Studio (in red)
Epiphones can be hit and miss with the quality, sometomes you can find a really good one and sometimes they can be terrible to play, quality control and all that. But I would definitely recommend the brand, I have a Les Paul Custom and and find it to play almost as well as my friends Gibson Les Paul Standard, but it obviously isn't as good overall.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
They're not bad. For the price, their upper-end models are really nice. I've a white Studio, and it's not the best, but a lot of its flaws are from the former owner.

Gibson haters will complain about quality; people will say Agile makes better Les Pauls, but I can't speak on that; others will just bash them. They're a good company regardless, but with any guitar try before you buy is key.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
I have gone through many many different guitars from, high to low end makes and models and the only one i have ever kept is my battered and old Korean Epi Explorer.

Says alot really I think.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
as has already been stated, epiphones can be great or very poor. personally, i've never found an epiphone i've enjoyed playing (i dont like the way they feel, and nor do i particularly like their sound - i find it a little weak and lacking) but again, thats just personal preference.

now, if you're wanting a good les paul copy, look into agile. for the price, dollar for dollar, they are the best you can get. the high end ones are comparable to gibson (obviously not quite as good, but they're damn good guitars). i prefer the feel of an agile, and they have some pretty good hardware too. sounds better than an epiphone as well.

link here (starts on page 6): http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar.html
Last edited by User_Name336 at Jul 6, 2010,
I have an Epi les paul studio deluxe and I find it to be a very nice guitar.
The biggest drawbacks of mine are:
1) Stock Pickups are Muddy, especially when distorted.
2) Electronics are cheap. When I re-wired my les paul it sounded so much better (same pickups)
3) Not a huge problem but a new nut does help A LOT.
4) A new bridge gives tons more sustain (do you even need it on a les paul??) but its definetly not neccesary.
Heres the good things:
1) I love the feel of a les paul neck and mine is great. No dead frets, intonation spot on.
2) Stock Tuners are good.
3)Good sustain and sound as expected from a les paul.
4)Wine Red is an amazing finish!!
I have an Epi LP Custom, and it's solid. I paid like $475 for it, and for the money, I can't complain. I'll probably go with a Schecter or something next time, just cause it'd better fit the type of music I want to play, but yeah.

Only real complaint I have with it is that the G string gets out of tune pretty quickly, but that's pretty common with LPs in general, so you can't say too much about it. Oh, the stock nut is shit though, mine cracked after a few months, so I'd tell you to get a decent graphite or bone one right off the start. Sound is good, it came with Grover tuners, so they really are good tuners for the most part. I don't know if I'd buy it again, but it's by no means a "poor" guitar.
Quote by salgala2000
I have an Epi les paul studio deluxe and I find it to be a very nice guitar.
The biggest drawbacks of mine are:
1) Stock Pickups are Muddy, especially when distorted.
2) Electronics are cheap. When I re-wired my les paul it sounded so much better (same pickups)
3) Not a huge problem but a new nut does help A LOT.

Those are pretty much the only bad things on the Epiphones. I mean you might not like the neck or something, but that's preference. Also for a lot of people, the pots tend to die in a year or two.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Decent guitars for the money. Once you replace the pickups and maybe some hardware. I'd even call the higher models good. Some of their cheaper models are just garbage though.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

I've have more than a few epi LP's and none have worked out over the long haul. I just picked up and Agile AL-3000 from CL. it's freakin' great - I think I like the ebony fretboard over the rosewood, but well beyond what I expected.
Quote by VanTheKraut
Decent guitars for the money. Once you replace the pickups and maybe some hardware. I'd even call the higher models good. Some of their cheaper models are just garbage though.

The only hardware you might have to replace is the control knobs and maybe (big maybe), the nut. The tuners are excellent, and so is the bridge.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
if you get one i'd say its worth the extra little bit to get the standard or standard plus. the custom has too much cheap binding and is unnecessary. I had an LP Standard Plus, and a Gibson LP Studio, and yes they're was a difference, but I don't think the difference justifies the $500 price difference I paid.

Get an Epi LP Standard, i've been seeing them between $250-350 a lot lately on craigslist.
The best thing you could possibly do when it comes to buying an Epiphone is go to multiple stores and play as many as you can.

Epiphones are a victim of poor quality control. WHen they're done well, they're fantastic for the money, but when they're duds, they're duds. Unfortunately, far too many duds sneak by the QC people onto store floors.

So get out there and play a whole bunch, and you'll almost certainly be able to find at least one really great instrument which will play far better than its price tag.

Also, if you've got time and want to, do the same thing with Gibsons and you might find a frighteningly similar situation. Not as bad as with Epiphone, but the QC on Gibsons and the number of poor or flawed guitars that sneak through is much worse than you'd expect for such a high price point.

I've had guitars from literally every price range. From high end US models to low end imports. I've literally sold all but a couple of "low end" imports because the playability on the low end ones were just as good as some of the high end ones I've had.

Non-custom shop guitars are going to be made by machines more or less across the board. Nothing makes a Korean or Chinese CNC machine less capable of doing it's job than an American one. The difference is in the finishing details and the electronics.

So if you look around, you CAN find low end import models that play just as well as higher end US models. Drop in a set of good PUPs and you'll be golden for a LOT less than it would cost you to go high end.
Last edited by FullDistortion at Jul 8, 2010,