I've been learning some country "chicken-picken" lately and a lot of people have said I should use a compressor. I'm trying to mix country and blues together (kind of a Stevie Ray Vaughan meets Brad Paisley meets Danny Gatton kind of thing). For a while now I've been trying to add more dynamics into my blues playing and I feel like if I add in a compressor that will be taken away. Any thoughts? Do any of you guys use a compressor for the blues?
"If my baby don't love me no more,
well I'm sure her sister will." -Jimi "Red House"

Gear
1983 Strat '57 Reissue
1964 Gibson ES-330
Dr Z Maz 38
Fender Pro-Junior

myspace.com/marcrobertwork
I find a compressor tidies up my dynamics, i.e. makes the loud ones less ear-piercingly loud and the quiet parts audible, yet still perceivable as quiet. When used appropriately, they can be so goddamn nice
Compressors (when used correctly) are great for what you describe. I have an MXR Dyna Comp and I love it to death. Whenever I want a bluesy/country hybrid tone I turn it on, add a little dirt with my amp's gain and play away. I would definitely recommend a compressor almost any guitarist.

PS They are great for a lot of other styles too
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
I know a few local players who use them.. obviously they don't use them all the time, but they use em for extra sustain etc. They can be pretty useful as far as I can see, i'm gonna be trying out some when I get enough money
ive had extensive use with the MXR m132 super comp. its very very very useful for getting a little extra sustain or shapeing up your dynamics so they arent so peirceing. have any questions just pm about it.
MIM Fender Strat
Ibanez AE series acoustic
Washburn Semi Hollow loaded with Di-Marzios
Main Street LP
Tama drum set
Marshall Blues-breaker 2
VOX V847 Wah
Fender Princeton chorus
Quote by shark38j
I've been learning some country "chicken-picken" lately and a lot of people have said I should use a compressor. I'm trying to mix country and blues together (kind of a Stevie Ray Vaughan meets Brad Paisley meets Danny Gatton kind of thing). For a while now I've been trying to add more dynamics into my blues playing and I feel like if I add in a compressor that will be taken away. Any thoughts? Do any of you guys use a compressor for the blues?

well i dont own one but theres nothing wrong with them. you dont have to use it all the time either or even that much.