...he doesn't have the right gear/ have bad eq's for our band's genre?

We play stuff from 311, Sublime, Pepper. The sound from the guitar that we need is a nice equal balance between bass and treble, with a nice distortion similar to that of some discontinued fender amps.

He always puts his treble up around nine, but his bass is near three/four. He tells us that the bass will cover up for it, but it really stands out when he solos, espically because he uses a boss metalzone. It gives way way too much drive for us and is too trebley for our sound. He also uses the brightest of guitars to make our ears bleed more, but I'd rather blame it on eq rather than guitar. But something that my band had noticed is that he's buying top of the line equipment for metal, or just things that everyone would dream for as a metal guitarist, and thinks he could put it into our sound, but it's not working, but we want to tell him that. All we want him to do is to just think about how it will sound instead of thinking his gear is so badass and he should use it anyway.
Quote by sgc09
...he doesn't have the right gear/ have bad eq's for our band's genre?

The sound from the guitar that we need is a nice equal balance between bass and treble, with a nice distortion similar to that of some discontinued fender amps.

He always puts his treble up around nine, but his bass is near three/four. He tells us that the bass will cover up for it, but it really stands out when he solos, espically because he uses a boss metalzone. It gives way way too much drive for us and is too trebley for our sound. He also uses the brightest of guitars to make our ears bleed more, but I'd rather blame it on eq rather than guitar. But something that my band had noticed is that he's buying top of the line equipment for metal, or just things that everyone would dream for as a metal guitarist, and thinks he could put it into our sound, but it's not working, but we want to tell him that. All we want him to do is to just think about how it will sound instead of thinking his gear is so badass and he should use it anyway.

You should phrase it like that.
Either say what you just posted, or, instead ask him whether he knows that he doesn't play in a metal band.
Yeah, if it bothers you that much and sounds awful just tell him. If he is dick about it just kick him out
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
tell him adjust, compromise, or leave the band. You'll be able to find other guitarists quick.
Put this in your signature if you've ever saved a child.

Yea thats what i thought.
Guitarists are a dime a dozen, tell him to fix his shit or you'll find another person to fill his shoes.
Quote by iduno871
Guitarists are a dime a dozen, tell him to fix his shit or you'll find another person to fill his shoes.

pretty much sums it up.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
If you can record your band and listen back. Be critical about everyone sound since every member of all bands can use some improvement in tone.Do not just single him out. Hearing your self play can be a huge eye opener to anyone.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
I would ask him to listen to you guys playing without him. Then, ask him to play alone. Then tell him if he notices a difference. You have a right to have a guitarist that "fits" and he obviously doesn't. So if he still doesn't get it after this demonstration, then I would simply ask him to leave and start looking for replacements.

ron666
What kind of gear does he have, when talking about stuff every metalhead dreams about?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
post a clip on youtube and wait for the hate comments....do a popular cover so peeps will find it if everybody hates his tone he`ll soon get the message...sometimes you`ve got to be cruel to be kind
Quote by JesusCrisp
What kind of gear does he have, when talking about stuff every metalhead dreams about?

well i wouldn't really call the guitar one of a metal guitarist's dreams but its a discontinued ibanez. i forgot which one he has, but it's an rg but the pickups are nice when eq'd right but it doesn't at the moment.

Should I try to set his eq good while he's not looking and see if he notices the sound difference??
Unless he's tone deaf then yes he'll notice the difference...
Tell him to ajust his tone, just say back the **** off the treble
"I've Been Imitated So Well I've Heard People Copy My Mistakes"- Jimi Hendrix

We're born to lose, so live to win
The answers has been given, mate.

You either tell him the way you explained in your opening post, or...
Quote by van01010100
Learn to be direct and confrontational without being disrespectful or impolite. It's a good skill to have.

I guess you're waiting for the miracle answer that's something along the lines of you doing absolutely nothing, but it's not gonna happen, ever. In band situations, you have to be direct, and always critical of each other.