example:
dave mustaine, kirk hammett

you know, where most of the solos are just those two string pentatonic legato patterns thrown together....
but it looks flashy
All depends on the person. If you're dedicated to learning, practice a lot, practice the right things, and keep yourself deciplined you'll get there in no time
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Zeletros
2 years, if you're a real musician

What, pray tell, is a real musician?
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Well according to the often recited truism in the saying/ books. It takes 10,000 hours to master any skill regardless of what that skill is. Get practicing.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

You could probably fake it enough to get by in a year or so (if you've already been playing guitar for a couple of years) but to be a legit thrash guitarist, leads and all, it could take years and years. A lot of people just aren't capable of playing that style at all. It depends on the person. For every quality thrash/speed metal guitarist there are a thousand who should just stop and try something else.
Some people have much more aptitude for the instrument than others. It may take anywhere from 10 months to 10 years to acquire such skills. Good luck, my friend
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
What, pray tell, is a real musician?

That's a hard one. It's the one who has "it" inside of his heart and soul, one who enjoys what he plays, one who every day struggles only to perfect his art which is music, one who's jaw hurts after playing because he can't play with his mouth closed, one who is able to transfer his emotions and feelings into a .WAV format, one who can solely please a crowd of people without having sex with them or playing naked, one who doesn't suck at playing his instrument, one who can be either a man or a woman, one who devotes him/her self to music and people who loves it, not to money, fame, glory, sex or any other material or physical entity.
Quote by Zeletros
That's a hard one. It's the one who has "it" inside of his heart and soul, one who enjoys what he plays, one who every day struggles only to perfect his art which is music, one who's jaw hurts after playing because he can't play with his mouth closed, one who is able to transfer his emotions and feelings into a .WAV format, one who can solely please a crowd of people without having sex with them or playing naked, one who doesn't suck at playing his instrument, one who can be either a man or a woman, one who devotes him/her self to music and people who loves it, not to money, fame, glory, sex or any other material or physical entity.

So loving music will let you play thrash metal well in two years time. Very interesting.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
So loving music will let you play thrash metal well in two years time. Very interesting.

You're welcome.

This is your first step to ultimate enlightenment.
Quote by Zeletros

You're just a huge pile of pretentious aren't you? So basically you're saying that because I also do other things with my life, I don't play for other people (whether I'm in a band or not) and because I don't play every day I'm not a musician?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You're just a huge pile of pretentious aren't you? So basically you're saying that because I also do other things with my life, I don't play for other people (whether I'm in a band or not) and because I don't play every day I'm not a musician?

Playing instrument means you play an instrument but it doesn't make you a musician. I think that's what he's trying to get at.
Quote by Perpalicious
Playing instrument means you play an instrument but it doesn't make you a musician. I think that's what he's trying to get at.

This has been done on UG many times before. Every time it just comes out as complete bullshit. Playing music on an instrument makes you a musician.
Musician isn't some pretentious term for someone to arbitrarily assign value to based on the idea that music is some spiritual higher calling far above normal humans. Some people are just better at making pretty sounds than other people in the same way some athletes can run faster than other people.

If you want to play thrash well, immerse yourself in it. Study the music, learn as much of it as you possibly can, pay attention to phrasing and techniques, use a metronome, practice technique, practice regularly, structure your practice and probably most importantly, start writing some music.
Last edited by ApeWeevil at Jul 6, 2010,
Quote by Zeletros

LOL wut? So a REAL musician is someone who focuses ONLY on music, they apparently can't enjoy anything else. One who (for some strange reason) plays with their mouth hanging wide open. And a virgin. Did you forget "one who is full of themselves"?

And here I was thinking I was a MUSICian because I make MUSIC. But I apparently am not a musician at all, my whole life is a lie! Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!

Get off that high horse. That's like if I said I'm a "real athlete" because I can run faster than Shaq. It's just something to make you feel better than us inferior non-musicians.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Jul 6, 2010,
Quote by Zeletros
2 years, if you're a real musician

This person might very well be retarded. Tread carefully.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Guitar player =/= musician lolz.

If you want to play metallica and megadeth songs, 2 years. Want to be the best thrash master you can be? A lifetime.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Well, I view my journey into music like this.

For about 9 years, I just learned other people's stuff because I liked playing it and hearing it.

Then I tried to make my own music and realized I didn't know what made the songs I liked sound good to me, so for the last 3-4 years, I've been learning a lot about music itself.

If you asked me, I'd say I was a guitarist for the first 11 years and am now working to become a musician.
Musician - someone who plays a musical instrument

A musician is a person who writes, performs, or makes music

That's it really.

About the original thread, i would say 3 years at least.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by CarmenJuandeago
example:
dave mustaine, kirk hammett

you know, where most of the solos are just those two string pentatonic legato patterns thrown together....
but it looks flashy

I started out on the metallica stuff its more or less just focusing on that. Time wise it depends ive seen some people do it in a few months sometimes people never can do it. Its all about mindset and dedication really.

The main thing though before you go off into shred guitar land is make sure you know everything ur doing just dont play randomly. Know the chords, notes, scales, all that crap so when you hear it later it becomes 100000x easier then reading off of somebody's shitty tab sheet. Even the books half the time are wrong.
I dunno I have been playing for almost 3 years and I have by no means mastered thrash metal. I can play some stuff and learn quickly, but I wouldn't say i'm tight and/or have mastered it. Does that make me slow? I'm really into early metalica, especially ride the lightning
Quote by Koshman32
All depends on the person. If you're dedicated to learning, practice a lot, practice the right things, and keep yourself deciplined you'll get there in no time

how do u practice the right things? How do u know if its right or wrong?
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
I think playing stuff/songs in the styles of whom you mentioned might help to achieve what you are after but then again it is a pretty broad thing you are asking as seen by the responses.

A lot of Pentatonic practice perhaps?
TOTAL BRO
You'd need to go back in time first.
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
There is never a specific time when you will learn something, you couldn't learn it in five minutes unless you were incredibly skilled... However it just requires hours of practice every day you can.
Musician = Someone who plays music. On an instrument.

Thread = It all varies on different people. What is your skill level as of now? How much time do you have to devote to learning thrash metal? It all boils down to how you spend your time p-p-p-PRACTICING!

You aren't going to go to sleep. Wake up. And be Dave Mustaine or Kerry King. They practiced. That's what you need to do.
!
I can play most songs from metallica & megadeth and it has taken me almost 3 years, took 1 year to "learn them" and another 2 years to master them and be able to play the rhythm parts relaxed. You can do it alot faster if you structure your practicing, i just messed around with different songs and eventually got better and better, if you practice certain techniques it will go faster & easier for sure.

If you want metallica/megadeth songs to pratice i would recommend following order

whiplash -> Four horsemen -> master of puppets > she wolf -> disposable heroes -> Battery -> Holy wars

Personally i think the galloping rhythms is what will take most time to learn.
Last edited by vismbr at Jul 9, 2010,