I'm having real trouble getting a job. I just recently graduated from high school, but because I'm only 17 and I'm going to college in August, even Taco Bell refused to hire me. I don't understand why, I got great grades and SAT scores, involved in sports and clubs, etc. I even have catering experience from before. They claimed it was my availability that was an issue (I'm available 40+ hours a week ), so I guess its just because I'm going to school in a month (and only for 3 days a week)?

Anyone have any advice or tips for landing a job, any job?
Quote by Turkeyburger
It's not cool to make fun of people with disabilities.....

(Being Norwegian is a disability)

Quote by BK202

places like taco bell/any general retail and food shops don't care about grades tbh.
you're not even 18 yet but... welcome to the real world, our kid
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
It's the economy, bro. What few jobs are left are being taken by more experienced workers who got laid off.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
I'm in a similar position but cannot get a part time job for the summer simply because training would be too expensive for me in the short term.

Your best bet is to look for a job after summer and then continue it throughout the year into the next summer.
MAN CITY

De Montfort Uni
Same here in England, when you're qualified you're less likely to get part time work during the summer. Companies know that the achievers are likely to go to uni, leaving them with a vacancy again. If you need training, it isn't viable for them to train you up if you will leave in a few months. And it costs money to put somebody on a payroll. My girlfriend dumbed down her CV by not mentioning her specific grades, and got a job in a week :/
Quote by rgrockr
It's the economy, bro. What few jobs are left are being taken by more experienced workers who got laid off.

Thing is, around here I see slackers and douchebags from my high school getting jobs left and right, and while I worked hard in high school, these guys get jobs while I can't even get a minimum wage job.
Quote by Turkeyburger

Quote by BK202

I have a buddy that made a 33 on his ACT (Sat's aren't required in my state), was valedictorian, in band, jazz band, choir, Academic team, and some other little extracurricular activities, was available 60+ hours a week, and got turned down by three different mcdonalds....

problem is the way the economy is, its hard to find work ANYWHERE.... not to mention, fast food places are looking for complete dumbasses that have nothing else going for them.... sounds crazy, but in a business sense, why hire a scholar thats going to eventually just move on to bigger and better things when they can hire complete dumbasses that will most likely be with them a very long time...

solution is: well... there really isn't one.... craigslist i suppose?
N*GGERF*GGOT!

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.

☻/ This is bob, copy paste him on
/▌ your signature so he can take
/ \ over UG.
Quote by cloudjessie42
Thing is, around here I see slackers and douchebags from my high school getting jobs left and right, and while I worked hard in high school, these guys get jobs while I can't even get a minimum wage job.

So I'm competing against you for the next open job.
There's danger on the edge of town,
Ride the king's highway baby

3 of my friends have got jobs working in McDonalds and we haven't even got our GCSE results yet
Quote by cloudjessie42

You know what you got to do then.

Keep looking.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Get some volunteer work under your belt so you have more experience to put on your resume.

Craigslist has a good selection, depending on where you are, though everything is paying crap these days. Also take a look at careerjet, a meta-search site for jobs, though that's better if you are looking for something more specialized.
Quote by bajeda
Get some volunteer work under your belt so you have more experience to put on your resume.

Craigslist has a good selection, depending on where you are, though everything is paying crap these days. Also take a look at careerjet, a meta-search site for jobs, though that's better if you are looking for something more specialized.

I do have graphic design experience, only this shitty dried up desert town (Lancaster) has no opportunities for anything except fast-food, and graphics shops in L.A. say they would hire me if I only lived closer, or had a car...which I need a job to get because my parents won't let me drive until I can afford my own car.
Quote by Turkeyburger

Quote by BK202

Quote by cloudjessie42
I'm having real trouble getting a job. I just recently graduated from high school, but because I'm only 17 and I'm going to college in August, even Taco Bell refused to hire me. I don't understand why, I got great grades and SAT scores, involved in sports and clubs, etc. I even have catering experience from before. They claimed it was my availability that was an issue (I'm available 40+ hours a week ), so I guess its just because I'm going to school in a month (and only for 3 days a week)?

Anyone have any advice or tips for landing a job, any job?

Um, yeah. If you tell people that you're leaving in a month, they won't hire you.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by Vornik
Um, yeah. If you tell people that you're leaving in a month, they won't hire you.

Bingo.
UG BLS Chapter.
SDMF#UG001
SDMF#UG002-faqu
SDMF#UG003-pantera-nat124
Quote by Vornik

I'm not exactly leaving, I'll be commuting and I stressed that point to them many times, that I'll be available even on the days I go to school, yet..nothing.

So, don't let 'em know I'm going to college?
Quote by Turkeyburger

Quote by BK202

Quote by cloudjessie42

Good for them!
A lot of people I know got jobs only because they knew someone else who worked there.

Still, it's tough out there. I am 18, a high school graduate, and have experience working at a mechanic shop, and got turned down at AutoZone.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
It's because of your user title.

But seriously, it's because the "slackers" are more available and won't be tied up with other commitments...
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
I just graduated from university and I haven't been able to find one yet either. I've been looking for 2 months. I've applied for like 20-30 different jobs and haven't heard back from any of them. I don't have a bad work history or anything like that either.
Quote by cloudjessie42
I do have graphic design experience, only this shitty dried up desert town (Lancaster) has no opportunities for anything except fast-food, and graphics shops in L.A. say they would hire me if I only lived closer, or had a car...which I need a job to get because my parents won't let me drive until I can afford my own car.

I live about 20min. away from you so i feel your pain. Be a Craigslist wh**e like me. Post ad for doing things others don't want to do like digging holes and stuff.
Last edited by pack4804 at Jul 10, 2010,
I'm in the same boat as you ts. I have applied to several places but nada
Quote by hellbound_jonny
I'm in a similar position but cannot get a part time job for the summer simply because training would be too expensive for me in the short term.

Your best bet is to look for a job after summer and then continue it throughout the year into the next summer.

So I'm wasting my time by looking for part time in the summer?
Impossible is just a word people say to make themselves feel better when they quit.
Vyse the Legend
I'm pretty much in the same position. Two possible employment opportunities have recently developed though, so I'm gonna explore those further.