well im new to the whole tubes thing and i have a couple of questions
1. what tubes can i place instead of a 12bh7 tube? (edit - maybe ecc82 or 12au7?)
2. does the blackstar ht5 need biasing? it has only two preamp tubes- no power tubes
3. is there a difference between the ecc83 and 12ax7?
thanks
Last edited by philipk at Jul 6, 2010,
1. You could theoretically use a 12AU7, but it's not going to sound good. The 12BH7 pulls way more current than a 12AU7 and the plate R is much smaller, so swapping a 12??7 tube will result in the amp sounding like a cheap radio. Stick to those tubes.
2. No biasing needed.
3. No.
umm
im ordering from a website that doesnt have the 12bh7 :\
this totally sucks :\
is there an online store that ships worldwide?
preferably no shipping costs :P
Nobody is going to ship worldwide for free. Just suck it up and order from someone who has one and pay the shipping costs. The Tube Store sells them for $14.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Jul 6, 2010,
so give me a site that ships with shipping cost
did you notice the word preferably? :@
i started typing handbanana.com
can you recommend me tubes from that site?
i dont mind paying much if they are good
ummmmm
they also dont have 12bh7 tubes
Eurotubes sucks. All they have is JJ and JJ does not make a 12BH7. Try The Tube Store or Tube Depot. Both have the EH 12BH7 which is as far as I know the only current production one.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

tube depot looks nice
just to be super-sure, what does each of these options mean?
thanks alot for the help guys
Balanced/matched triodes are a rip off. The only option worth getting is the low noise one for obvious reasons.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

umm
what about high gain?
i read that the ht5 can only do early metallica stuff so maybe with the high gain it can go a bit deeper into the metal territory
and the low noise and microphonics will reduce noise while on the OD channel?
and are electro harmonix tubes good or i should get other ones?
specific name would be appreciated
since the shipping is 35 bucks keep the tubes price under 65....
Sovtek is not a good brand to look at.

Of the 12BH7s on Tubedepot, I'd go for the RCAs or the unbranded NOS'. Everything but the EH are out of stock right now, but it's worth the wait.
U can't replace the bh7 in the blackstar withing but a bh7 it acts as the power tube in that amp.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by philipk
tube depot looks nice
just to be super-sure, what does each of these options mean?
thanks alot for the help guys

Hi gain - the tube will have a higher gain than the nominal rating. for example a 12ax7 has a spec'd nominal gain factor of 100, but in actuality a 12ax7's nominal gain factor may end up being 95 to 110 or so and they test them and set the 'hi gain' ones aside. you can buy those.

matching- from what i can understand you can get a set of tubes with very similar gain factors. for example, (2) 12ax7's with a 98 gain factor. i hear of power tubes being matched more often, a matched set of power tubes is necessary for fixed biased amps so you can bias them correctly.

balanced triodes - a preamp tube has (2) triodes inside of it, each triode can provide a gain stage. these tubes are referred to as 'dual triode' preamp tubes, they are tubes such as the 12ax7, 12ay7, 12at7, etc. a balanced triode preamp tube would be one where the gain factor of both sides/triodes of the tube are equal. these are supposed to be optimal for phase inverters.

matched/balanced - 2 balanced triodes that are matched.

low noise - tested a low Signal to Noise ratio. certain models of preamp tube were supposed to be "low noise 12ax7's", like the 7025 or ecc803.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae