I have my eyes on a Boss TU-80 tuner w/metronome. Are tuners a waste of money or are they really a valuable tool? I know how to tune by using the fifth fret trick but I don't want to be off tune slightly by a quarter tone.
yes, but train yourself to tune by ear as well for times you dont have the tuner.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
i would very much reccomend a tuner, or at least a tuning fork or another tool to that nature
They are very useful, but assure you can tune without it, it's even more useful as a musician

There's

NEVER

enough

GAIN

If you tune using fifth fret trick, you'll be tuning your guitar relatively, but not absolute. So it may sound like it's tuned, but if you play with other people or use a backing track, you'll sound really bad.
Get a tuner, if possible a chromatic tuner.
Regarding the post about training to tune by ear, it misses the point. You CAN be tone deaf and tune your guitar perfectly without a tuner. On the other hand, being able to hear subtle differences in pitch makes you a better musician.
Quote by -Rodion-
If you tune using fifth fret trick, you'll be tuning your guitar relatively, but not absolute. So it may sound like it's tuned, but if you play with other people or use a backing track, you'll sound really bad.
Get a tuner, if possible a chromatic tuner.
Regarding the post about training to tune by ear, it misses the point. You CAN be tone deaf and tune your guitar perfectly without a tuner. On the other hand, being able to hear subtle differences in pitch makes you a better musician.

The tuner I listed is a chromatic tuner. What's the difference?
Chromatic tuners allow you to tune any string to a pitch of any existing halftone. Ordinary tuners can only tune you to one of existing tunings, without showing the tone you are tuning to.
Chromatic tuners are imo much more handy and versatile. And quicker, if you're using strange tunings.
To echo what's already been said, tuners can be handy items to have.

Since you're asking about a tuner/metronome, I'd add that while metronomes can also be tremendously handy items, I far prefer ones that give a traditional "click" sound (like a stick striking a wooden block), to those which sound a digital "beep."

Having a 'nome built into a tuner is certainly convenient, but in most cases the metronome is of the "beep" variety.

I'm not familiar with the TU-80, so I don't know which metronome sound it offers.

For what little it's worth, I use a Korg CA-30 tuner and Seiko SQ-50v metronome. They're nothing special, I suppose, but they do their jobs well. The CA-30 seems to be one of those small accessory items music stores put on sale for $9.95, every so often. The SQ-50v isn't quite so inexpensive, but one can sometimes be snagged off eBay or craigslist for a great price.

Yes, yes, I know that there are free online metronomes. But sometimes I choose to play my guitar away from my computer.
--
Michael
Get yourself a nice chromatic tuner, Korg makes some nice ones. One with an 1/4 input and a mic. There's one by Korg, it's like $20, and practically every musician I've met has one. Plus, a chromatic tuner isn't only for a guitar, you can use it for saxophone, flute, guitar, bass, checking if your piano is out of tune, etc. A good investment, and you can change what you tune to (IE, most people tune to A=440, some do A=430, and these tuners can do quite a variation).

Yes, you should learn to tune your guitar by ear and such (not perfect pitch by ear, very few can do that. You tune your guitar to the other strings on it, which works if it's just you playing, but in a band setting, either tune to a piano or something that's in tune, or use an electric tuner.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!