Hey so I'm not an amazing guitarist but I recently got a job and I'm going to be buying a Les Paul, I currently have an SG, and an Ibanez RG350, and I love them. However, hard rock and metal is not my passion, I want something soft and melodic, like coldplay soft, I dont want any posts dissing on what I have to say because I'm not going to argue, I'm thinking about buying a JCM800, but I'm not sure. I am trying to decide which Les Paul would be the best fit, thanks, any answer is appreciated, just please don't rant about which path I wish to follow.
Alex Hager - AlexHagerMusic
Coldplay is single-coil tones. You'd be wanting a Telecaster or a Strat. But if you're set on a Les Paul you could go for an Agile or an Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top. If you're into spending money, get an Edwards Les Paul from Japan, or a used Epiphone Elitist.

As far as amps go, the JCM 800 is not a good clean amp... you want Marshall cleans, go for a Bluesbreaker. Otherwise I'd look into something Fendery, like a Super Reverb, or a Blues Deluxe, or a Deluxe Reverb.

Maybe a Vox AC30 as well.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Jul 6, 2010,
Hey,

Never was much of a Gibson guy myself, but is a Les Paul not a bit too much of a blues/rock machine for the kind of thing your looking for? Have you considered a modern Telecaster? Get in the shop, play everything and just get whatever feels like you've been playing it for years. You can make any sound come out of a guitar that feels right.

Amp-wise the Marshall's a serious powerhouse and designed to be driven hard at volume, but I reckon the sound your after might come from a valve-Vox (the AC30 might be a bit out of reach, but the 15 is pretty good) - it gives a clean jangly-pop sound used by U2, Coldplay, Radiohead, The Beatles, REM etc...

Good luck mate, let us what you go with.
I assure you its brilliant!
Last edited by Metacaster at Jul 6, 2010,
Hey thanks for the immdediate response it really helps so ill check out the vox amp, howeveer I have loved the size of marshalls so I'm still not sure, and I'm gonna remain to a gibson but does anyone know the les paul coldplay uses ina couple of there songs, I saw them live and they have one and it its a les paul with white circles, and does anyone know what amp they use?
Quote by alexhagermusic
howeveer I have loved the size of marshalls so I'm still not sure

Don't get fooled by the size, a marshall is not what you want for the stuff you play.
Jonny Buckland uses a Fender Hot Deville, so you might wanna go for that
Quote by alexhagermusic
Hey thanks for the immdediate response it really helps so ill check out the vox amp, howeveer I have loved the size of marshalls so I'm still not sure, and I'm gonna remain to a gibson but does anyone know the les paul coldplay uses ina couple of there songs, I saw them live and they have one and it its a les paul with white circles, and does anyone know what amp they use?

zakk wylde les paul?
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
Sorry but I don't like zakk wylde and that isn't a guitar that wud b nesacarry for wat I play, thanks for the suggestion tho
no lol i was saying that the white circles cold play les paul could be a zakk wylde less paul, god i would never suggest that
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
Oh haha yeah I see what u mean now, but it was an iced tea les paul with 3 tiny white circles near the top