Hey all,
I´m looking to mod my guitar in oredr to get more sustain. Someone told me that adding a metal nut would do the trick, but from what I googled everything's pretty subjective. Can someone tell me the difference between a metal nut or a zero fret and a normal nut?

And also, what other mods are there to get more sustain? I own a Highway One Tele if that helps, thank a lot in advance!
Fender Telecaster Highway One
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall Haze 40C

Quote by Bushonmyhead
Well I just threw my cat out of the window, and have concluded that gravity definitely exists.
all the guitars I've played that have a zero fret don't really benefit from it, IMO
but remember that again, all this is subjective.
personally I just find a zero fret makes it harder to get low action

I've played with a plastic nut, bone nuts, and I had a guitar with a brass nut..
the brass was the best sustain-wise, but a bone (or fake bone..like tusq or whatever) nut does a good job, too.

the saddles, bridge, neck joint, and lots of other things can effect the sustain, as well
I agree, it seems like the zero fret does not do much for sustain.

The general rule of thumb is that the more dense the nut material, the better sustain. This is why bone nuts are preferred over plastic nuts and back in the day ivory nuts were preferred over bone nuts. Personally, I am not a fan of the metal nuts on a Tele. Call me a purist, but I like to stick to the traditional bone nuts on Teles.
Doesn't the nut only affect the tone and sustain on open strings?
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
Quote by Mike-T93
Doesn't the nut only affect the tone and sustain on open strings?

i would think so. If I was looking for more sustain I'd be looking at the other end of the string.
So, nuts only affect open strings? What DOES affect all other, mmm fretted strings?
Fender Telecaster Highway One
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall Haze 40C

Quote by Bushonmyhead
Well I just threw my cat out of the window, and have concluded that gravity definitely exists.
Everything about the guitar except the nut
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
bridge, saddles, pickups, strings, the neck if it's a bolt-on. for good sustain the neck pocket needs to as tight as possible. a set neck gives better sustain and a neck-through gives the best. a fixed bridge with the strings going through the body usually has the best sustain.

you could also get one of those sustainer pickup things. they're active and basically kinda like an ebow as far as I can tell.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Jul 7, 2010,