I've been listening to a lot of Sonic Youth and was wondering about their loads of different tunings. Does the scale patterns still work and what key would the song then be in. Thanks a lot if you can help
first of all: the key of the song is not dependant on the tuning!
you can play a song in f# minor, even when your guitar is tuned to e.

but also won't your scale patterns work, as long as you don't fit them into your tuning.
that's the problem about learning scales by patterns and not by notes
What?
Quote by jesus3000
that's a problem about learning scales by patterns and not by notes

fixed. you made it sound like there was only one drawback to learning scales by patterns and not by notes.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
1) The key of a song is independent of the tuning.

2) The patterns don't work because the patterns you learned only work in standard tuning.

Basically what jesus said.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by sonicyouth1
I've been listening to a lot of Sonic Youth and was wondering about their loads of different tunings. Does the scale patterns still work and what key would the song then be in. Thanks a lot if you can help

Man, their tunings are so off the wall, that scales in their traditional standard position will not work. They made up a lot of their tunings and purposefully made them sound discordant. I don't know all of their tunings, but have seen quite a few and they sounded terrible, but they used them to fit their style. They were trying to be different and they succeeded.

You can of course play scales in most of these tunings, but they may be difficult. And you'll likely have to find them yourself. There are some web sites that show you all scales in alternate tunings, but they are usually popular alt. tunings (e.g. DADGAD, open G, etc).

I love to use alternate and open tunings as well, but never had anything off the wall as these guys. Strangest tuning I've used was DADDDD.

BTW, love your White Stripes avatar. I just recently got into that band. They are pretty good.
Last edited by c_foster88 at Jul 6, 2010,