My cousin recently gave me this guitar which he bought used a while ago. There are weird marks on the solid top and I'm very curious as to what they are. I don't know much about acoustic guitars so I was wondering if anyone here knows. They are very smooth and part of the wood so they're not scratches or anything.

That looks very strange indeed. The grain of the wood actually appears to be warped. No idea
"The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar."- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by patticake
does it feel smooth over the marks?

Yeah, feels like part of the wood.
then it seems to be part of the grain, like bearclaw. i've never seen martin use a wood like this, as they tend to discard most wood with cosmetic issues, but since this is the x series, perhaps they're a little less concerned about cosmetics.
Quote by patticake
then it seems to be part of the grain, like bearclaw. i've never seen martin use a wood like this, as they tend to discard most wood with cosmetic issues, but since this is the x series, perhaps they're a little less concerned about cosmetics.

Agreed. That is bear claw