I recently got a fretless Warwick Corvette standard bubinga 5 string. It came with roundwounds on it, which I quickly swapped out with flatwounds out of fear of damaging the fretboard (it quickly had little horizontal line marks - matching the windings - on the fingerboard itself from the strings on the day I got it after I played it for a bit - is this normal by the way?) Now, was my fear unfounded? I know it has an ebony fretboard but is it alright to use rounds on it?

I'm looking for more of a 'mwah' sound from it, and I hear rounds are the way to go for this - I'm not a big fan of the dull flatwound sound tbh, though they feel nice.

Recommendations?
if you wanted you could use tape wound strings. like on a double stand up bass
Well I'm looking for something that would give more mwah and be less dull, so I'm not sure that would be the way to go, really. :P
D'addario chromes. They're actually a pretty bright flatwound. Same with the rotosound flats. Adjust your EQ some and you'll be good to go.
what a waste of a perfectly good sig.
I'm actually using Rotosound 77s right now

I guess I can give my EQ a twirl, not sure how much difference it'll make though.
My girlriend uses the rounds that come standard on the fretless corvette. Aside from the initial scratches, there has been no damage in 3 years from using rounds.

This is just my anecdote though. But I imagine warwick knows that they are doing, and buts rounds on their basses for a reason
Hmm, fair enough. I might give some rounds a go at some point then. I have to say those scratches disturbed me greatly on the day I got it. Guess I was overreacting
Quote by Pew-Pew
Hmm, fair enough. I might give some rounds a go at some point then. I have to say those scratches disturbed me greatly on the day I got it. Guess I was overreacting

Its okay, I would think the same thing I just know from experience that it wont do long term damage
Quote by Pew-Pew
I recently got a fretless Warwick Corvette standard bubinga 5 string. It came with roundwounds on it, which I quickly swapped out with flatwounds out of fear of damaging the fretboard (it quickly had little horizontal line marks - matching the windings - on the fingerboard itself from the strings on the day I got it after I played it for a bit - is this normal by the way?) Now, was my fear unfounded? I know it has an ebony fretboard but is it alright to use rounds on it?
I'm looking for more of a 'mwah' sound from it, and I hear rounds are the way to go for this - I'm not a big fan of the dull flatwound sound tbh, though they feel nice.
Recommendations?

Generally speaking, ebony's pretty tough.
You can go with nickel wounds. Pretty sure they're softer than stainless steel.
Instead on bending the string, which grinds across the board, adopt a classical style vibrato where you rock your finger back and forth in line with the string.
LaBella's tapewounds have a roundwound core and are fairly cheep from Carvin.
In the end, it's your tone that counts. If you achieve your tone with steel rounds, and every several years you have to have the board dressed, well... that's the cost of doing business.