Okay, i have a problem with my band, and we're just starting! this is going to take a while, but it's really important, hopefully you can make it through the loooong explanation. so, in my band, my first band, that's just starting off, we have five members, tentatively. i play guitar, my friend jason drums, drew plays bass, and eric sings. we also have just brought in my friend ant, who plays gutiar realy really well. everyone elses' experience is between three to five years, while ant has been playing for ten. we are split down the middle as far as musical taste goes, with drew and i into punk rock, jason and ant into modern metal, and eric into everything. when practicing, i feel like drew and i are the only dedicated ones. ant just shows off the whole time, and complains that the songs are too easy for him. eric can't learn lyrics quickly, it takes him forever to get them down, and frankly, he doesnt even sing that well. I personally feel like i could sing just as well as him. i personally like him, but he's not cutting it, really. and as much as i like ant, him being one of my best friends, i dont think that it's fair to anyone to have him be in the band. in a perfect world, i could kick them both out, considering i started the band with jason, but in our town, they are the only other musicians our age (teenagers)who have even remotely similar tastes and get along okay. what should i do? how should i go about getting everyone together when two fifths of the band won't cooperate?
ant is an awesome name! You really just have to make sure that everyone knows how you feel first.. maybe you've talked about this with them, but most people who have these problems in a band only have them because no one is saying anything. Talk to them, tell them how serious you want them to be and try it again. If they just wont listen THEN think about kicking them out, you just started so dont screw up friendships over nothing
well, seems like if they are not interested in what you dedicated guys want to play, maybe replace them with people who would be more thrilled in the genre you want to play.
Quote by kyle62
How is it 'urgent' then?

because i want to get this fixed, all straightened out, before i get really involved in the band. besides, "urgent" grabs peoples' attention
With your genre problem thing, you could always go for some kind of punk metal? That would sound really interesting, or it would just suck, depends on if you could pull it off. Sounds like you all need to be a little more diverse in your genre styles, who says a band needs to stick strictly to one specific genre? Keeping your music similar is important, but if you're too specified in your genre, all your songs could end up sounding the same.

When I start out a band, I try not to even have a genre in mind until later, I like to see where all the people in the band take the style of the music, and then define the genre after everyones happy with the music their playing, and the band has it's "sound". Sometimes it works out great, other times not so much...
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"
Do you know when genre causes a real issue in a band? Hardly ever. This is because if you're a cover band, you end up playing a variety of genres/crowd pleasers if you're hoping to get any work, and if you're an original band, you use your own influences to create your parts for the music. So the genre of the music is determined by the end sound created by all the members of the band, rather than what the writer thinks the genre may be.

The other "problem" is lazy members. Lazy members need a talking to, or get kicked.

And that "ant" guy who just complains that his parts aren't hard enough - tell him to write harder parts :P . And if he just wanks off all the time, I'd kick him too. Doesn't help any music if there's a constant show off.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
In my experience in the two main bands ive been in theres been two different ways they can go. Both bands have the same name so ill call em band one and band two so you know the difference.

Band one
Two of us started the band , got a bassist, drummer and singer. Singer thought he was gods gift to the world when he really wasnt. Drummer although good was only 14 and very imature, had a lot to learn about being in a band, was never playing for the band. Bassist at the time was just told what to play and didnt have much of a say. The band was never really a band cos there was no connection between anyone, people didnt get on a lot of the time cos of personality differences, eg pessimistic or optimistic people. I felt like i was dragging most the guys through mud half the time cos they assumed that things would get done as long as one person did all the work. The band lasted a year and a half some how, we did a decent amount of gigs but we were never all great friends. Geez the singer didnt even have the bassist number???

Band two
Myself and the bassist who i'd been the only one to go out of my way to really get to know , decided to get a new drummer. Found a drummer, wasnt perfect at first but over time we've really grown as a band from all the effort we've put into the band. Everyone likes the same music, is open to listening to new music, we all want to play the same type of music as a band, we're the right type of musicians to play the style we want to play too. We all get along BRIALLIANTLY and spend a lot time out of the band as friends as well.

In summary
Band 1 didn't work 'cos other than myself and the bassist no one was commited or as much they thought they were. EVERYONE has to be putting the same amount of effort in to make a band work well!
Band 2 works so well because we get along so well and are good friends to begin with, theres no argueing at all. If there IS any issue we just say and talk about it and its done (not that there ever is) We all have FUN and enjoy the band which was not evident in band 1, the first band was not fun so unless your all having fun and your good friends, get along well, share the same sentiments about what you want to play as a band ( no neccesarily same tastes but does help) and your all committed as eachother without hesitation then theres a problem in the band and the problem is probably that the band isn't gonna work. Find the RIGHT people and you will enjoy. Fun is the most important thing in a band.

Sorry for the lengthy reply i just thought i'd share in detail what i've learn from two bands ive been in and what made one suck and one rule! FUN is the key word, if its not fun its not worth doing
1980 Gibson Silverburst Les Paul Custom
Gretsch G5445T Electromatic Double Jet
De Armond MT-75
1978 Aria Pro 2 Les Paul Standard (Lawsuit)

Orange Rockerverb 100 Head
Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

Ain't telling you my pedals!
Also if your having problems finding the "right" people in your area, try going to other local bands gigs, stick ads up in your local music shop, theres always someone else to play with. I'd been looking for the right drummer for years and it turned out he was 3 minutes down the road from my house! haha Keep at it an you'll find the right people you need just dont give in =)
1980 Gibson Silverburst Les Paul Custom
Gretsch G5445T Electromatic Double Jet
De Armond MT-75
1978 Aria Pro 2 Les Paul Standard (Lawsuit)

Orange Rockerverb 100 Head
Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

Ain't telling you my pedals!