Hey All,

I've been planning on buying an LP for some time now, but I've recently been in contact with a guy who tells me he can make me an excellent LP clone. He's given me the option of a '50's style neck, a '60's style neck, or an 'in between' of both. I went over to the Guitar store yesterday and tried LP's with both the '50's & '60's style. Here are my observations:

The '50's neck definitely felt sturdier, but not quite as comfortable as I'm used to. (I learned on an Epiphone Sheraton 2 & a Strat Copy) I had some trouble comfortably reaching the lower frets.

The '60's neck felt OK, (more the type of neck I'm used to) But for some reason it just didn't feel like it 'fit' the LP. I kept thinking I'd snap it. (I know I wouldn't, of course) Maybe it's because I spent so much time plaing the '50's one first.

I'm 6'4 and I've got BIG hands (big palms and fairly long fingers)so my friends have told me that a '50's style neck is the way to go for someone like me and that I'll get used to the neck in time. My buddy called it a 'Learning Curve' Anyone agree?

I couldn't find the 'In Between' neck so I have no opinion.

I know the vast majority of you will tell me that it's all down to personal preference and what feels right to me, I'm just interested in the opinions of those who are familiar with both types of necks. I'm not a rich guy and this guitar will be quite an investment for me, so I want to make sure I have as much info as possible before I make a decision.

Thanks in advance.

-Major Bludd
Every guitar has a different neck profile, even ones of the same make are subtly different.

There is a fair learning curve getting used to a neck you haven't experienced before, but if the 60's felt better than the 50's then you probably have your answer there.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Yah, go with whatevers comfortable.

I have a 50s neck on mine, but I tried both for quite a while before deciding. Smaller guitar shops won't care how long you are as long as you aren't being annoying, so go all out.

Edit: Chrisiphone: If your saving for an new and want to get rid of that old one, then maybe.... nuts, if you weren't in the UK then I would love that amp.
Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
Last edited by Its So Easy at Jul 6, 2010,
Quote by Its So Easy
Yah, go with whatevers comfortable.

I have a 50s neck on mine, but I tried both for quite a while before deciding. Smaller guitar shops won't care how long you are as long as you aren't being annoying, so go all out.

Edit: Chrisiphone: If your saving for an new and want to get rid of that old one, then maybe.... nuts, if you weren't in the UK then I would love that amp.

Nice try

I love the amp, I really do, but I can't use it for most home use!

I'm keeping it though and getting a nice lower wattage amp head

Or an attenuator to increase the range of "usable" volume"

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
I prefer the 60's neck, but a 50's profile won't bother me none. If you are used to the 60's profile though, then I would stick with it.
Epi Elitist LP Plus
Marshall Class 5
Vox AC30 CC2

"A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do."
I guess I'm kinda romanicizing the '50's neck because I'm somewhat of a traditionalist. I like the idea of a thick neck, but the feel of one is new to me.
If the guy is making the guitar, why can't he make the neck to whatever spec you want? Addditionally, ask him what he means by '50s and '60s necks. What Gibson currently call a '60s neck is slimmer than the real necks of the '60s were and what they now call a '50s neck is about the same as the real 1960s necks were.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I asked the guy @ the Store if he had an LP with a '50's style neck and he handed me this Goldtop - the neck was pretty BIG. Talking to one of my friends, he seemed surprised that I noticed that much of a difference (particularly after the 12th fret) because he said there isn't really that much of a difference. My friend tells me that some '50's necks are fatter than others.

Man, I'm confused...
Well there is an element of that too. All production Gibson necks are very slightly different and the Custom Shop necks are very, very different regardless of what spec they're supposed to; in fact when it comes to Gibson Custom Shop there is no point reading the spec sheets at all because each one varies so wildly.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
If you're having a guitar made, won't it be more expensive than a Gibson? If not how is the builder doing it for less? Good, one-piece tone woods cost money in of themselves, as do the name brand hardware & PUs and any reputable builder also charges for their time and effort.
Also, unless you're getting a guitar made from someone with a known reputation, this won't be an investment as it'd be hard to sell a handmade guitar built by an unknown craftsmen (or craftswomen). Lots of people can make good-looking guitars but to make one that plays good too is the mark of a good builder.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
If you're having a guitar made, won't it be more expensive than a Gibson? If not how is the builder doing it for less? Good, one-piece tone woods cost money in of themselves, as do the name brand hardware & PUs and any reputable builder also charges for their time and effort.
Also, unless you're getting a guitar made from someone with a known reputation, this won't be an investment as it'd be hard to sell a handmade guitar built by an unknown craftsmen (or craftswomen). Lots of people can make good-looking guitars but to make one that plays good too is the mark of a good builder.

I don't think he mentioned he was getting it for less but I just skimmed through the posts so I could've missed it.

As for getting a replica made, it's not an investment at all unless your builder is Chris Derrig or Max (Basically a builder that a LOT of people have heard of). There are a few reputable builders in my area but most people haven't heard of him so a guitar that would cost somebody upwards of 5000 bucks or higher to build will end up being sold for around $2200 just because people don't understand the whole hand-made guitar thing. Sometimes it bothers people that it isn't an actual Gibson as well so you have that problem to when you try to sell replica guitars.

The point (imho) to get a hand-made guitar is to get it to your own specs so that you won't have to sell it. You get it in the shape/color/etc... you want so you won't feel like you have to sell it.

Anyway, to answer TS if your builder offered you those two options he probably means that the '50's neck is going to be thicker than his '60's neck. What the actual profile is depends on what specs he chooses. You should find a guitar with a neck profile that you really like and measure it with measuring tape. Give him the measurements from the nut and the 12th fret so he can get an idea and such.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Here's an update:

I went to the same store today and played the same '50's neck LP, only this time I liked it a lot better and felt much more comfortable with it. Then, the girl at the counter informed me this was actually a '57 Reissue and the neck may be slightly bigger than the standard '50's ones. She then handed me a regular LP with a 50's neck and I did indeed feel a difference. Funnily enough, I felt myself going back to the '57 reissue and playing that!

So now, I'm more confused than ever. But the '57 neck definitely feels sturdier. I might just get used to it!

-Major Bludd
Which neck is on the epiphone Les Pauls? I played a VOS 60's LP today actually and I felt like that neck was ultra smooth to play. Although I'm not sure if I've ever played a 50's neck so I have nothing to compare to.
Put this in your signature if you've ever saved a child.

Yea thats what i thought.
Quote by Major Bludd
Here's an update:

I went to the same store today and played the same '50's neck LP, only this time I liked it a lot better and felt much more comfortable with it. Then, the girl at the counter informed me this was actually a '57 Reissue and the neck may be slightly bigger than the standard '50's ones. She then handed me a regular LP with a 50's neck and I did indeed feel a difference. Funnily enough, I felt myself going back to the '57 reissue and playing that!

So now, I'm more confused than ever. But the '57 neck definitely feels sturdier. I might just get used to it!

-Major Bludd
So here is the thing, you gotta play the different guitars. The USA line Gibson les pauls (studio, classic, standard, etc.) all have thinner necks than the Reissues. My les paul studio has a "50s profile" neck, but its still much thinner than the R0, which has the "60s" neck and isn't close to the neck on an R7 or R8.

I would play those guitars with that in mind. I'm assuming you're playing Gibsons? Epiphone necks all feel thinner to me than just about all Gibson necks.