Hi guys,
I'm having some trouble getting my pinky to reach the lower strings while I'm playing, which makes some of the stretchier tapping licks I try to play somewhat difficult. The problem is less pronounced while I'm sitting down but it's still noticeable. This is especially a problem when I'm trying to play on the upper frets, where it becomes almost impossible to reach without bending my wrist almost to the point of pain. Please help me out - I really feel like this is impeding my progress as a player.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Your guitar is probably too low. Raise it up until you're comfortable reaching them. When I play sitting down, I like to use my strap. That way, the guitar is always at the same height. Give that a try.
The guy's a beast, but he uses 8s. So he's shit.
-juckfush on Alex Hutchings.
^if that's not it, then your thumb is probably waaay too far over the neck. bring it into proper position for the lower strings (i.e. tip of the thumb at the center of the guitar neck).
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
then use your other fingers...
you won't do many pinky in low string except for chromatic scale run.....
Quote by kenz.94
then use your other fingers...
you won't do many pinky in low string except for chromatic scale run.....
I use my pinky all the time on the low strings. Being able to use all four fingers accurately and independently is such a useful tool. If you can do it, make sure you do. I can't stress that enough.
The guy's a beast, but he uses 8s. So he's shit.
-juckfush on Alex Hutchings.
Do exercises were it targets the pinky finger. Play F to A on the low E string and move up a half step at a time. Dont you wish we all could have Paul Gilberts finger, its like the length of a pencil!