would it be ok to play a bass through my crate halfstack? this would be temporary till i get a bass amp. i am getting one in a few weeks
if i did have all my gear in my sig, id have to change it weekly

"I tried to talk to you and you just kept playing"
"Well why didn't you pull out your boobies?"
"You were busy, I didn't think that would matter."
"Boobies always matter, always."
Yes, but don't expect your speakers to take them well.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
not really a good idea to do it long term, but if you don't turn the volume up too loud and limit the use it probably won't damage anything.
Quote by guitarzephyr
If you don't want to kill your amp, buy one of these http://www.dv247.com/assets/products/22162_l.jpg Its what I use.

You mean put that through a power amp and into separate speakers right? 'Cause if you're putting that DI box into your guitar amp surely those harmful frequencies are still present to the speaker and are damaging it, aswell as maybe the preamp in the guitar amplifier.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Buy a bass cab, use it with your guitar amp. Otherwise I wouldn't recommend it.

If you are using a bass with a guitar amp keep the volume down really low and ease off on the bass in the EQ; it won't make it safe, but it's like putting saran wrap on your dick before you **** a hooker who's doing it to buy meth, it's slightly better then nothing.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
this is just temporary till i get a bass amp in a few weeks. volume will be down anyways, i turn it up too loud and my wife just bitches, and i dont like to hear that.
if i did have all my gear in my sig, id have to change it weekly

"I tried to talk to you and you just kept playing"
"Well why didn't you pull out your boobies?"
"You were busy, I didn't think that would matter."
"Boobies always matter, always."
the unfavorable answer would be: 'you're fine'. there are a number of people here that are armed with a bit of knowledge about 'guitar speakers and running bass through them being bad' but most people don't know why. basically running lower frequencies through guitar speakers will cause a bit of over excursion (due to the looser parts for better response and impedance response), the higher the volume the more dramatic the over excursion. failure can be instantaneous if certain parameters are exceeded, but this is usually running lots of bass with a high powered amp at a loud volume.

so what does happen? much like car tires driven at higher speed or under towing a greater load, speakers become overstressed and their life becomes shorter in proportion to the stresses it has endured. but they way i think about it is a speaker is not made to last forever anyway, much like tires are designed to wear out, so are certain parts on a speaker. any time you use a speaker you are technically use up it's bit of it's lifetime and using it for bass may stress it a bit more at low volumes.

so really, you are now armed with the knowledge that running bass through a guitar speaker can be bad, but being aware of a couple of things limits the danger and may use up a small amount of speaker life. it's your choice
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by PussyPunk182
You mean put that through a power amp and into separate speakers right? 'Cause if you're putting that DI box into your guitar amp surely those harmful frequencies are still present to the speaker and are damaging it, aswell as maybe the preamp in the guitar amplifier.

I lowers the impedance of the signal so it won't harm the amp in any way.
MY GEAR

Guitars
- Gibson SG Standard(Ebony)
Amps
- Vox AC30
Pedals
- Vox V487A Wah
- SansAmp Classic
- EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
- MadeByMike Custom Overdrive
- HBE Germania 44
Quote by guitarzephyr
I lowers the impedance of the signal so it won't harm the amp in any way.

It wouldn't harm the amp either way. The lower impedance is for driving the input of a recording console or mixer. The speakers are what you have to worry about as like gumbi said, if you overstress the speaker with frequencies it's not designed to handle, bad things can happen such as the voice coil melting.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs