After grabbing my engl fireball, I love the ulta-lead channel. I'm in the market for a more versatile engl if I don't like the Mark IV and fireball in stereo (have not tried yet).

For me, this leaves the powerball II or the savage in my price range. I could pretty easily sell the mark iv ( ) and the fireball to finance a new powerball II. It wouldn't kill me to save up a little and knab the savage.

But anyways, has anyone tried the new powerball since they added 2 gain pots and the mid boost? I'm interested to see if its "less garbage" than people have said about the original and v2 powerball.
/rig
ive only played the first powerball and i can say that is an absolutely killer amp. it would be hard to imagine them making a large sound improvement on it. the changes are probably mostly ergonomic ones.

if you like the savage you will like the blackmore. its also cheaper than the savage. the main difference the blackmore and the powerball is it is brighter, more open in the midrange and (slightly) less modern sounding. the powerball also has more bass although i have no idea why you would need it because the blackmore will still shatter windows with bass.
I like the sounds of the powerball, but if you search anything about it, people say live it could not cut through in any respect. I was wondering if anyone could confirm that the II has improved this. I have also heard people say that it has the same distortion voice as the fireball, which I'm not sure if it's true because I have not been able to play it.

The blackmore is awesome, I just want something with 4 different usable voicings, even if its only on 2 channels.
/rig
You're absolutely set on getting another engl if you end up getting rid of the fireball and mark?
If you're looking for a super tight tone, I'd look at the VHT Ultralead too, as I love my fireball, but an Ultralead does a super tight gain better than a powerball IMO.
I'm not absolutely set on it, but the ulta-lead on the fireball really just punched me in the face. I like super tight (hence the mark IV), but the sound of the fireball was just huge, which I think I liked better. I just REALLY need to play them together in stereo before looking for another amp, I just thought getting a higher end ENGL would keep the bite of the fireball with the versatility I want in 1 amp, keeping my setup a little more simple.

The VHT ultra-lead may be higher than my price range (though saving is always an option) and i fear it might be TOO dry for me.

I wish I could play all of these monsters locally, but there's not much luck for me there.
/rig
Yes. The original powerballs weren't garbage at all really. They just had kinks and issues that had to be worked out.

I played a Powerball II recently with a bunch of different guitars through it and it sounded AMAZING. Much better and was a real improvement to my ears.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Well I'm very interested in this. I just wish there was more information about it online. I guess thats just because the powerball II is new.

Its reassuring that people have something positive to say about the powerball and powerball II.
/rig
The Savage will be even better than either of them; there's a reason it's ENGL's flagship amp, in my opinion...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
^Really, the Savage? I hear it's a great amp, but I guess I always considered the SE their flagship

EDIT: ENGLs page for the se calls it their flagship,,
I thought the SE IS the Savage?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
The ENGL Savage is definitely an incredibly versatile amp....

If you like the voicing of the Fireball however I don't know if you will like the savage. Its less modern sounding and has unrelenting mids.

Some people like this, some people do not. The ENGL Savage really is like Marmite
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
haha unrelenting is an interesting adjective for mids.

i think the savage very well may be more your cup of tea than the powerball. i am basing this on the fact that it will handle mids better considering that you are coming from a mesa mark.

also, the blackmore DOES have 4 different voicings on 2 channels. it is very versitile. most people seem to use it for metalcore although it is designed for and works equally well with classic rock. the only difficulty is that less knobs forces you to be more creative with balancing all 4 sounds.
Last edited by TheFunkyAvocado at Jul 7, 2010,
Actually the mids on the Powerball II have been fixed, IMO. They sound much better and now the mid boost button also helps with that. The bass boost is also quite helpful.
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
Quote by mespinos
The VHT ultra-lead may be higher than my price range (though saving is always an option) and i fear it might be TOO dry for me.

Buying used will get you a UL or Savage for less than a new Powerball

But for me, I really like the VHT voicing, and the UL was WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too dry. It just sounded lifeless

Quote by Raijouta
I thought the SE IS the Savage?

No, the Savage is like the upgraded version of the Blackmore, more British in flavor, but more high gain and versatile than the Blackmore. The SE is like the upgraded version of the Powerball/Fireball, more modern.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Buying used will get you a UL or Savage for less than a new Powerball

But for me, I really like the VHT voicing, and the UL was WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too dry. It just sounded lifeless

No, the Savage is like the upgraded version of the Blackmore, more British in flavor, but more high gain and versatile than the Blackmore. The SE is like the upgraded version of the Powerball/Fireball, more modern.

Once again, 114% agree. MatrixClaw knows what's up.
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
used price for a pitbull ultra lead around 2k...
1600 if you are lucky
3 popsicles and some of last year's first rate stamps if you are mclaw.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Yes but locally I will never find that. I'll have to eBay an amp I've never played. If I atleast buy it new from MF, I can return it. If I saw a savage, SE, or invader used I would jump it, but again I'll never see that locally. I saw a fireball and I emailed the dude immediately after the posting and hardly got it.

I'd take some of MC's deals though..

I think I'll sell my Mark IV , my fireball, and my HT-5 and see If I can't get a new Powerball II. If its something I'm not digging I can return / exchange it for something else.

Hey GAS, FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
/rig
Last edited by mespinos at Jul 7, 2010,
Selling your Mark IV, Fireball and HT-5 would put you well within reach of a new Savage...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
I'd love to keep my Mark IV.. but I don't know. I'm going to ask on the higher end. If doesn't sell, I'll just keep saving =p.

Fireball and HT-5 would put me close to $1200ish depending on buyers I think.
/rig
think you could get over 2k easily
mark iv head i'm assuming? short box or long box?
ht 5 head?
Mark IV = $1200 or so
Fireball = $1000
HT-5 = $~200
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Yep, asking 1400 for the MarkIV, its a short head (heh) 950 for the fireball (got it for 850), and $220 for the HT-5. I should be able to get the powerball or savage new pretty easily. I think I'm leaning towards the powerball.. but If i hate it i can swap it.
/rig
Last edited by mespinos at Jul 7, 2010,
if it were me...i'd be buying a mark iv shorthead for 1000. fireball for 1000 ht5 head for 150-250.

i think worst case scenario you'd get 2250. you'd probably get a little bit more.
Yeah, I'm pretty confident I can get it all, as long as I can sell it in a reasonable amount of time. Our craigslist is so bad for flakers.
/rig
ya use sevenstring and rig talk
you might put the mark iv on tgp. the firebal probably wouldn't be good there
the blackstar is best on clist.