Hi, noob question here....

On my amp with a standby switch and a power switch, when i'm starting it up which do I put on first? And for how long?

Thanks
turn the power switch on first, leave the amp for 3 mins, then turn on standby switch.

The standby switch starts warming the tubes before applying a current to them (this is my understanding) therefore increasing their service life.
you will also get no sound before the tubes are warm.
You power the amp on first, then wait 30 seconds or so, then you switch the standby switch from standby to on. With the amp in standby, you should not hear sound from your amp.
/rig
Quote by mespinos
You power the amp on first, then wait 30 seconds or so, then you switch the standby switch from standby to on. With the amp in standby, you should not hear sound from your amp.

30 seconds is only enough time to make the tubes usable. atleast 1 min is needed to protect the tubes.
there are so many misconceptions about the standby switch. someone posted a great article about it recently, wish i had bookmarked it.

basicly you start with the power switch to off and the standby switch in standby. turn power to on and wait 30 seconds to a minute. some people recomend longer, but i havent really seen conclusive proof that longer is actually required. unless your amp has been cold or something. then turn the standby switch to on.

however, you dont want to leave the amp in standby for extended periods either. so while leaving it in standby for a couple minutes is ok, dont leave it to just sit for ten minutes or whatever.
Quote by jof1029
there are so many misconceptions about the standby switch. someone posted a great article about it recently, wish i had bookmarked it.

basicly you start with the power switch to off and the standby switch in standby. turn power to on and wait 30 seconds to a minute. some people recomend longer, but i havent really seen conclusive proof that longer is actually required. unless your amp has been cold or something. then turn the standby switch to on.

however, you dont want to leave the amp in standby for extended periods either. so while leaving it in standby for a couple minutes is ok, dont leave it to just sit for ten minutes or whatever.

http://www.peavey.com/support/technotes/hartley/chapter_6.pdf I think?

If that's not it, its still a great read.
/rig
standby isn't absolutely necessary to protect the tubes.
just better safe then sorry or whatever.

i just leave all my amps on all day. never know when the urge to palm mute will strike. IT COULD BE ANY TIME.

j/k

power first then stand.

on most amps it should just go....when the amp is totally off...the standby switch should be in the same position as the power.

when the amp is half on the power switch will be in a different position then the standby

when the amp is all the way on both switches will again be in the same position.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
If you are leaving the amp on unattended for five minutes or more it is best to just turn down the volume, not using standby. Heating and cooling the valves repeatedly causes thermal work hardening resulting in mechanical failure, leaving the heaters on with no high tension (in standby mode) poisons the cathode and also causes failure.
Just switch on the power whilst in standby mode, wait about a minute for the heaters to warm up to prevent cathode stripping, then switch it out of standby. Play for 5 mins - NOW it's warmed up.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification