My friend broke his foot controller for his Guitar Rig 4 (I think he dropped it but he wont tell me ), but he never used it (or even installed it on his computer, he said it was a gift that he never used) so he gave me the CD.

Now I have the program installed, but I don't have any of the foot pedals or USB interfaces with it.

Instead of spending almost $300 on the Rig Kontrol foot contoller is there something else that I can use?

I already know plugging the guitar in straight (line in) just sounds like shite, is there something else that I can use that's cheaper? Hell even another company's foot controller as long as I don't have to buy more software with it.

I'm new to this stuff so I have no idea where to start.

I don't really wanna spend over $100, and I want to stay as cheap as possible without losing sound quality.

I read something about DI units would something like that work? And is there a cheap one I can find in Canada?

Thanks.
You could get any audio interface with a 1/4 inch input on it and run the software as a stand alone, however you would not have control over it with a foot controller.
Gear
Jekyll and Hyde
DD3 Delay
NS2 Noise gate
FAB chorus
Crybaby 535Q
HT-5 stack
1979 Gretsch BST 1000
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Schecter Gryphon
Fender American Strat
Taylor T5 Custom
www.facebook.com/fadeoutproductions
Quote by NnjRik
You could get any audio interface with a 1/4 inch input on it and run the software as a stand alone, however you would not have control over it with a foot controller.

Well I have a jack where I can just plug it in

Guitar > Computer

but it sounds like shit.

Quote by Ignite
What you need is an audio interface. You're not going to find anything cheap with a footcontroller, but something like a Pod Studio (used to be called TonePort) would work.

The GX is $99
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-POD-Studio-GX-with-POD-Farm?sku=250006&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=254011685

That looks like what I need, but there's nothing cheaper?

I've heard from some other forum that using a DI unit isn't as expensive as getting the audio interface and program.
Quote by siverstorm

That looks like what I need, but there's nothing cheaper?

I've heard from some other forum that using a DI unit isn't as expensive as getting the audio interface and program.

really all the good cheap interfaces are $100-$200, and it get's better from there. My friend bought a JamLab for like $50 and it was noisy, I bought a Lexicon Alpha for about $70 and it had some weird hum and I returned it. My UX1 was noise free.

As for a DI unit, that's pretty much what an audio interface does. With a normal DI unit, you can't even plug it into your computer anyway.
Last edited by Ignite at Jul 6, 2010,
Ahh so that Line 6 Ux is my only option then?

Since I may end up getting it anyway, would you happen to know how well does the POD software compare to Guitar Rig 4?
Well there are a couple other choices.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alesis-iO2-Express-Audio-Interface?sku=485880
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/M-Audio-Fast-Track-MKII-USB-Audio-Interface?sku=703669

People really love the Fast Track, but it's just a bit over $100.

As for the Pod Farm software (that comes with the Pod Studio), I've never used it, but from youtube videos and various other sound clips, it's pretty solid. Probably better at high gain than Guitar Rig 4 (if you buy the metal pack), but overall I'd say GR4 is better. I'm actually currently using GR4 without an interface, but it's noisy and muddy as hell.