Page 1 of 3
then what? I don't want an amp with built in effects or anything like that

I just want a cheap amp, with 1 or 2 channels, 3 band eq, and a volume/gain control

thats actually why I was considering the MG15, it fits that to a t.

Superb tone REALLY isn't that important to me at the moment. Seriously. I just want something that sounds decent when cranked to bedroom levels (the volume will probably be on just over half)
The Bandit from the other thread?

I'm pretty fond of my Crate GX10 as a practice amp, and I think it was... $40CAD.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Why isn't tone important to you?

+1 to the GX10
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
^ He said superb tone isn't important, which probably explains why he wants a cheap amp. I'm guessing he wants help finding the best tone for the price he's willing to pay, but if he's on a budget I could see why he'd be willing to sacrifice tone.
Fender Princeton Chorus
Vox AC15
Vox night Train
Egnater Tweaker/Rebel series.
Vox Valveatronix
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
I have told you in 3 seperate threads now for what you wanted to get a Vypyr, and if you can stretch your budget get a 333XL combo. Some random guy recommended the Orange Crush which you hadn't even heard of until then and I went on to convince that guy later on to look at a 333XL

you've been given so much good advice here if you wanna blow your money go for it just don't complain when we say "we told ya so"
you can probably find a used cube 15x for like $40-50. No effects, master eq, 4 gain modes, gain on the od channel and channel volumes for each.
This is like the 3rd or 4th thread. Are you trollin'?
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Quote by STABxYOU
The Bandit from the other thread?

I'm pretty fond of my Crate GX10 as a practice amp, and I think it was... $40CAD.

i had a really old, beat up crate gx20R and that thing was a very good practice amp. tone wasnt superb, but it was usable and simple. if you arent looking for great tone, but something that is usable and simple, the old crate gx amps are hard to beat. dirt cheap on the used market too.
Dude, go got an MG today! Best steps tool I have ever seen! Especially
Quote by jof1029
i had a really old, beat up crate gx20R and that thing was a very good practice amp. tone wasnt superb, but it was usable and simple. if you arent looking for great tone, but something that is usable and simple, the old crate gx amps are hard to beat. dirt cheap on the used market too.

Mine's become my favourite preamp, I just run it's FX send into whatever big amp I have access to.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
can't really recommend anything that isn't already said here..but you will soon realize how tone is important if you dont get something you like :P

at one point, my guitar was making sounds like a recorder...was one of the lowest points in my time playing guitar.

chasing tone = win.
Ok, so I used to have the same question a year ago. Do not get a marshall, they sound like crap. Marshalls are amazing, after you start spending above $600. I have a peavey rage, and I hate it, can't stand it. Beginner Fender amps are alright, same with crate. But if you get a crate or Fender, I would suggest a holy grail reverb and a ts7 drive pedal.
Alex Hager - AlexHagerMusic
Ampeg and Laney are also good amps, but they are tube usually, and you may have more maintnence and they cost more.
Alex Hager - AlexHagerMusic
Peavey Vypyr. Sure, maybe it's not your ideal amp but they sound damned good for what you pay.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Peavey Vypyr. Sure, maybe it's not your ideal amp but they sound damned good for what you pay.

I don't want built in effects

Im thinking of taking the other guys suggestion, Fender amp + Holy Grail and TS7
i think you and the dude who had the 410 deville need to get together and maybe have a heart to heart or a trade of something. maybe a playdate? just hang out jam around? you seem like you could be pretty good friends.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
The Frontman series is flat out awful. Worse than an MG and about as bad as a Spider IMO. The Holy Grail is just an ok reverb unit. The TS7 is quite nice though, especially for the price. If you want a cheap reverb, the Hardwire is great. Honestly with the Bandit, TS7 and the Hardwire, you'd have a pretty decent home setup that could work for small gigs as well. It won't be great but it'll work.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
The cleans are sterile and flat and the drive is the buzziest, harshest, nastiest thing I've ever heard. The Spider's drive is better, the cleans are about the same. And pretty much every one I've played and the one I owned when I first started had bad cabinet rattle.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
The cleans are sterile and flat and the drive is the buzziest, harshest, nastiest thing I've ever heard. The Spider's drive is better, the cleans are about the same. And pretty much every one I've played and the one I owned when I first started had bad cabinet rattle.

Alright, I did some research, here are my choices:

Marshall MG
Fender Frontman
Roland Cube
Orange Crush PiX

I don't want to buy used, turns out i'm moving and won't be living by that store anymore

(Im not even joking >.<
Out of those, the Cube. The Vypyr is still superior to any of them though, IMO of course. Why don't you want the FX?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
Out of those, the Cube. The Vypyr is still superior to any of them though, IMO of course. Why don't you want the FX?

Because I'd rather have the look and feel of a pedal board

and i know amps with built in fx don't take pedals well

I guess I could nab the Cube, but what makes it so good?
You could always get the Sanpera board. And they take FX okay, just not if you're also using the onboard FX. The Cube is better because it sounds more like the amps it's supposed to model and it reacts better to dynamics.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
You could always get the Sanpera board. And they take FX okay, just not if you're also using the onboard FX. The Cube is better because it sounds more like the amps it's supposed to model and it reacts better to dynamics.

Peavey Vypyr 30 + Sanpera II = $400

Roland Cube 15X + MXR 6Band EQ + MXR Phase 90 = $250

So get a decent amp and the pedal board I want.. with leftover to help save up for a guitar

or get a slightly better amp with footswitch, and use my same guitar

The choice is obvious.
Quote by AcousticMirror
what. what's obvious about that choice. because I don't see it?

The choice isn't obvious to you?

Why would i pay more for extra effects he vypyr offers that I DONT WANT?
Quote by B.Renegades
So get a decent amp and the pedal board I want.. with leftover to help save up for a guitar

or get a slightly better amp with footswitch, and use my same guitar

The choice is obvious.
Okay, so in your round of gear accumulation, you would like a decent amp, a pedal board with a few of your favorite pedals, and a guitar, all of which will play and sound nice enough to atleast hold you off for a while. Lets try to put this into goals to e achieved over a period of time.

1. get a decent amp
2. and the pedal board I want
3. for a guitar

If the amp you get is another piece of crap, you will be unhappy in 3 years. You don't even know what pedals you want yet, so why not just focus on step one for now.

As far as guitar, you don't like your neck or something?
Can't you guys ignore this? He is either trolling or very stupid.
Quote by TheChaz
I ran over two squirrels at once one time. They were chasing after each other in the street, and I swerved to avoid them, but ended up with one under each tire. Still my greatest driving accomplishment to date.

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Hitler could have been aborted
Quote by Axeaman
Can't you guys ignore this? He is either trolling or very stupid.

I'm not trolling

and im not stupid

this is the SECOND gear thread ive made since my return (unless you count the thread where I asked for a Bandit demo)

I'm just trying to be fiscal about this

I want to be SURE im making the right move this time, my last amplifier purchase turned out to be a mistake

You don't even know what pedals you want yet, so why not just focus on step one for now.

wtf are you talking about yes I do

Roland Cube 15X + MXR 6Band EQ + MXR Phase 90 = $250

And as far as the new guitar, its not the neck. The neck is my favorite (and only good thing) about my guitar. The neck is f*cking awesome. Everything else just fails completely IMO.

I have a few choices in the back of my head for a new one. All I look for in a guitar is basswood body, good neck, and good pickups. Unfortunetly my squier only nails 2 of the 3.
Last edited by B.Renegades at Jul 7, 2010,
After hearing a review/demo of the Cube, I've decided the Vypyr will be better in the long run.

Just gotta keeping saving, eventually get that Sanpera II.
Quote by B.Renegades
After hearing a review/demo of the Cube, I've decided the Vypyr will be better in the long run.

Just gotta keeping saving, eventually get that Sanpera II.

So now you're back exactly where you were a few days ago when I originally told you to look at the Vypyr
Quote by B.Renegades
I'm not trolling

and im not stupid

this is the SECOND gear thread ive made since my return (unless you count the thread where I asked for a Bandit demo)

I'm just trying to be fiscal about this

I want to be SURE im making the right move this time, my last amplifier purchase turned out to be a mistake

wtf are you talking about yes I do

And as far as the new guitar, its not the neck. The neck is my favorite (and only good thing) about my guitar. The neck is f*cking awesome. Everything else just fails completely IMO.

I have a few choices in the back of my head for a new one. All I look for in a guitar is basswood body, good neck, and good pickups. Unfortunetly my squier only nails 2 of the 3.

I doubt you will need the MXR Band EQ. Have you played a Roland Cube or are you just assuming the current EQ controls on it aren't enough?

You could buy a Roland Cube + Line6 M9. Should be the same price as the Vypyr+Sanpera II.

Also, you can't base your decision on sound clips and reviews. It would be better if you just go to your music store and try at least one of the amps you're looking at in person.

Also, why can't you go used?

As for the guitar, if you like everything but the pickups. Buy some better pickups, save other money for your rig.
Quote by FallsDownStairs
I doubt you will need the MXR Band EQ. Have you played a Roland Cube or are you just assuming the current EQ controls on it aren't enough?

+1 If you haven't even played a cube yet what makes you think you'll need an EQ. Look it basically comes down to this; are you more concerned with how your gear sounds or the loose impressions ignorant people will have based on your gear? So far it really seems like you want a 'hypothetically' good set-up and not a good set-up.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by B.Renegades
Because I'd rather have the look and feel of a pedal board

the "look and feel" of a pedal board?

Page 1 of 3