Has anyone spent more money on mods for their guitar than their guitar alone was worth. I'm asking this because I'm thinking of putting a set of Seymour Duncan blackouts in my agile AL-2500 which i only paid $200 for. The blackout set is around $175 and i assume installation will bump it above $200. I also have to buy a new jack plate and various other things. Should I go for it or just save up for another guitar. Any input is appreciated.
well. if your going for that sound, chances are unless the guitar you want to buy has blackouts or EMGs, your not going to get what you want.

and imo, if your going for that tone, less of it is focused on the wood etc than a clean style jazz instrument or something. i mean lets face it, saturating your self with gain and using active pickups pretty much negates any subtled differences in wood.

i mean not saying use bad wood, but lets face it, PRS guitar have nicers woods than say...ibanez. and most of thier advertising is about the tonal propeties of thier guitars. ibanez is all about their hardware, pickups, and playability.

thats also why a lot of shred guitars are made of basswood. again, not bad, but it aint top of the line mohogany or koa,etc etc.

if you like the way your guitar plays, and you dont think you can get one to play better without a significant price increase, throw blackouts in it and get nasty all over your music.
Yup. I've done that on my first guitar and it worked out well. Sounds great for the amount of money it costs in total. Handwired pickups are an investment IMO, because I can always move them to another guitar at a later date.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
From what I've been told a $200 guitar, such as mine, with active pickups can sound just like a $1000 guitar with active pickups. Is their some truth to this?
Quote by PeterNincompoop
From what I've been told a $200 guitar, such as mine, with active pickups can sound just like a $1000 guitar with active pickups. Is their some truth to this?

Pretty much as it turns out. Active pickups don't necessarily rely on the wood for their sound.
Quote by bizcuits212
Pretty much as it turns out. Active pickups don't necessarily rely on the wood for their sound.

Alright, ya thats what i heard. How much do you think is a good guess as to what it would cost to have these installed?
Quote by PeterNincompoop

Some people say that active pickups sound the same no matter what guitar they're in but that's greatly debatable.

If you're not satisfied with your tone consider an amp upgrade before spending that much on pickups. Pickups are really only as good as the amp they're played through. That and active pickups often react unfavorably to some types of amps.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Quote by PeterNincompoop
Alright, ya thats what i heard. How much do you think is a good guess as to what it would cost to have these installed?

I've been to a local guitar store where they installed my dimarzios for free, maybe you'll luck out. But the closest Guitar Center to me charges like 20-25$ for a pickup install.
Last edited by bizcuits212 at Jul 6, 2010,