Page 1 of 2
Any annoyances reguarding guitars you find at pawnshops? This may be the wrong board to put this, but most guitars I find at pawnshops are pretty good. My main annoyance with guitars at pawn shops is the people. When I try to check out some Ibanez semi-hollow and there's some 400 pound Sammy Hagar wannabe in my way looking for a "MIM" Strat (literally pronouncing it as "mim" like the begininng of the word mimicry) or "MIA" (pronouncing it like Steven Tyler's daughter's name) Strat that he'd be ever so generous to trade his beaten up, old looking Epiphone Les Paul Special for, that would be a pawn shop annoyance.

...sorry if this seems like rambling. It is not, I just wanna know some peoples experiences with guitars. The Ibanez mentioned up there turned out to have some fret buzz by the way so I went with a Jay Turser 134 DC.
Well, their inadequecy at pricing guitars can work out pretty well. I've gotten a few items WAY under their true value, because they didn't look shit hot. But they'll also try and rip you off for a Yamaha acoustic.
Quote by sglover34479
I got a 1989 Ibanez Roadstar RG340 for hardly a hundred dollars. Got him down from 150 because it had spongebob stickers on it. They came off no problem and it's a pretty guitar.

I should go to pawn shops more often.
Impossible is just a word people say to make themselves feel better when they quit.
Vyse the Legend
Where I live the pawn shops SUCK!

They underpay and over price. They also suck and pricing guitars and amps. They will try to sell something that is used and damaged only 10 or 20 dollars off the NEW price. They are always dirty and they refuse to haggle.

They also never have big name guitars. They have all these old unheard of brands of guitars which just look like they will fall apart.

When it comes to pawn shops..If you are ever in Greensboro North Carolina stay FAR AWAY!
Most pawns where I live either are way overpriced or way underpriced. Never sold anything to one. One had a Jackson RR JS32T for 600 bucks...double the new price. Another had an Epiphone G-400 for $125. And on that note, EVERY thrift store with records MUST have a minimal amount of 7 Rod Stewart records.
Quote by ricanboyguitar
I should go to pawn shops more often.

You should. I got this computer from one too, 19 inch lcd monitor, P4 processor, 1GB RAM, small HDD, but that's easily fixable, even with an external. All that for not even $275. Talked down from $320.
Quote by sglover34479
You should. I got this computer from one too, 19 inch lcd monitor, P4 processor, 1GB RAM, small HDD, but that's easily fixable, even with an external. All that for not even $275. Talked down from $320.

Any haggling skills you don't mind sharing
Quote by rgrockr

This show is awesome
Impossible is just a word people say to make themselves feel better when they quit.
Vyse the Legend
Quote by ricanboyguitar

Don't tell them your price range, or how much you have. Act like there are other options, and dont consider anything set in stone. I just always look for some type of flaw that could make for a price drop, then when they've gone down a bit, ask 'is the the best you can do for me?' and sometimes they'll knock a bit more off too Don't condescend either, that's not gonna help. Be confident, but cocky, and not a pushover. If they see you know what you want and how you want it but are still a nice guy, it's most likely they'll be willing to make you a deal.
Quote by rgrockr
*Pawn Stars pic*

This is my new favorite meme. I love that show.
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
Last edited by thefuzz454 at Jul 6, 2010,
Many times the guitars are way out of tune. Its not uncommon for them to be missing strings. Otherwise you can find a really good bargain if you look hard enough. Don't ever pawn anything unless your really desperate for cash though.
I don't always post in the threads but when I do its random and pointless because I'm ignorant enough to think you care.
Last edited by Luke200420 at Jul 6, 2010,
Quote by thefuzz454

This is my new favorite meme. I love that show.

I used to like that show at first but know its just annoying. On the last episode I watched some guy was selling a gun that one of the owners "best friends" said would sell for anywhere from $10,000-$15,000 and he only offered him around $4,000.
Quote by rgrockr
Pawnstarsdick

I hate that guy cause someone will come in with some crazy rare thing that's 200 years old ask for 5 grand and he'll be like $250 best i can do; Or better yet he'll act in a degrading manner when people ask a price he doesn't like. The guy is a dick but i love the show because of what comes in there is insane. So seeing as i don't know of any pawn shops round here I guess this guy is my biggest annoyance
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
My bands guitarist offered them an Ibanez Artcore and a $500 PA head for a Strat, and they said no. :/
Quote by supersac
all the guitars are right handed
and the amps suck

This is my life, I don't like being a lefty at times, the availability of left handed guitars is so bad, they're either really crappy guitars or high end guitars, nothing inbetween
Quote by jibran
I go to the pit only to just look at your creepy perverted username.

My Tumblr
Quote by herby190
My bands guitarist offered them an Ibanez Artcore and a $500 PA head for a Strat, and they said no. :/

that was me! and it was a low end strat also...**** that.
Quote by herby190
When I saw that, I thought of musical notes.... my elementary school teachers taught them as "tee-tees" "ta-tas" and a bunch of other nonsense....
Quote by Ir a+infinitive
that was me! and it was a low end strat also...**** that.
Still don't get why you want one so badly to begin with; disregarding the Ibanez, you've still got your Jagstang.
Quote by vicarious46
I hate that guy cause someone will come in with some crazy rare thing that's 200 years old ask for 5 grand and he'll be like $250 best i can do; Or better yet he'll act in a degrading manner when people ask a price he doesn't like. The guy is a dick but i love the show because of what comes in there is insane. So seeing as i don't know of any pawn shops round here I guess this guy is my biggest annoyance

I like the show just because it's so funny to see what an asshole he can be.
here's moar:
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by herby190
Still don't get why you want one so badly to begin with; disregarding the Ibanez, you've still got your Jagstang.

i actually found a place in town that will sand my frets fixing my ibanez, there should be another thread about music stores that dont sand frets and what not.
Quote by herby190
When I saw that, I thought of musical notes.... my elementary school teachers taught them as "tee-tees" "ta-tas" and a bunch of other nonsense....
I got a $550 Fender G-Dec amp for $150 or $200 at a pawn shop. It was in perfect condition, not a thing wrong with it. I was very very happy.

Apart from that though I've never seen anything good in pawn shops really, its usually just dodgy stuff.
Quote by ricanboyguitar

Never shop the same place more than a few times, so you can always say your going out of town, and won't be able to come back with more money. Say you only have X amount of dollars, even show them the cash, and offer that. If they don't bite, say you're sorry you couldn't make a deal, and just walk away.
Quote by Ir a+infinitive
i actually found a place in town that will sand my frets fixing my ibanez, there should be another thread about music stores that dont sand frets and what not.
Including the fact that they don't sell individual strings.... if we could just get Logan like, a pack entirely of e strings, I think we'd be good.
Where are you guys finding all of these UNDERPRICED pawnshop guitars? All the pawnshops in San Diego seem to have nothing but garbage and the prices are beyond insane. I saw one place had one of those strat knockoffs that you can win at the carnival for knocking over milk bottles or ruling at whack-a-mole. They wanted $320.00 for it. Unfortunately, that kind of shit is pretty typical in SD.
Quote by Thrill-house
I used to like that show at first but know its just annoying. On the last episode I watched some guy was selling a gun that one of the owners "best friends" said would sell for anywhere from $10,000-$15,000 and he only offered him around $4,000.
well, to be fair, Sean (the expert) is more optimistic about value than most, a lot of times the experts are talking auction prices. The pawn shop would be lucky to make $10,000, especially since that gun was broken, so he probably assumed it'd sell for $8,000, so offering $4,000 is pretty reasonable as a first offer (I think he got a lot more though. Most pawn guys usually offer 1/3 what they'll sell it for as their first choice.
Quote by Thrill-house

No those outside consultants inform them how much it can go in an auction environment, which is quite a bit more than what they sell for in a shop where haggling happens like it does. They have to make a profit, otherwise they won't succeed as a business.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Pawn shop employees in my town are pretty wise when it come to instruments. They will price guitars very fairly, so haggling can be tricky. They know how much a certain guitar is worth and when to let one go when a fair offer is made.

And about the Pawn Stars guy, he does have to re-sell the item after all. From a business standpoint, I can see why he has to offer way less than what the seller wants.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
I got a pretty cool octave fuzz pedal from a pawn shop for about fifty bucks. There was also a Mesa I really wanted for only eight hundred, but it was definitely louder than I would need.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by ricanboyguitar

Always wince at the price. And NEVER mention brand names (brand names will hint to the guy that you know what the guitar is worth). A was in a pawn shop and saw an Ibanez SR505 5-string bass with a price tag on it that said "$190." When I saw that, I was FREAKING OUT on the inside, as I had about $350 on me. I walked up to the guy and said, "Can I see that bass with the extra string on it?" (I didn't call it a 5-string or an Ibanez, for the aforementioned reason). I told the guy, "$190 is a bit steep for my blood (wince at the price, no matter what), could you take $140?" HE SAID YES! I walked out paying $140 for a $600 bass.
Get back in the house and take your I'm-so-old-I'm-gonna DAMN-DIE-pills!
-Early Cuyler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

R.I.P. Dael Moore
Last edited by thejoel3 at Jul 7, 2010,
Quote by rgrockr

I love Pawn Stars.

Most of the time he's actually pretty reasonable with the prices he offers. People need to remember that he's running a pawn shop. He isn't going to offer top dollar for items. He's trying to make a profit on things.
Quote by jimmyled
Well, most of the stuff there is stolen...

Yeah, he robs people blind on every sale. The funniest thing it that he acts like he knows what there's a market for, but he has the Death Clock on the wall every episode.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
I was walking past a Cash Convertors before (UK pawn shop chain) and saw a Fender MIA Strat, a bit of wear, some dings... £950. YEAH!!!
Quote by rgrockr
Yeah, he robs people blind on every sale. The funniest thing it that he acts like he knows what there's a market for, but he has the Death Clock on the wall every episode.

Huh?
Quote by JackalUK
I was walking past a Cash Convertors before (UK pawn shop chain) and saw a Fender MIA Strat, a bit of wear, some dings... £950. YEAH!!!

Dude, they go for £850 new
Ibanez RG1570 w/ Bareknuckle Pickups
Ibanez RG655
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson Singlecut
Blackstar HT-5
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
BOSS TU-2
MXR M-108
Digitech Bad Monkey
Quote by thejoel3
Always wince at the price. And NEVER mention brand names (brand names will hint to the guy that you know what the guitar is worth). A was in a pawn shop and saw an Ibanez SR505 5-string bass with a price tag on it that said "$190." When I saw that, I was FREAKING OUT on the inside, as I had about $350 on me. I walked up to the guy and said, "Can I see that bass with the extra string on it?" (I didn't call it a 5-string or an Ibanez, for the aforementioned reason). I told the guy, "$190 is a bit steep for my blood (wince at the price, no matter what), could you take $140?" HE SAID YES! I walked out paying $140 for a $600 bass.

I wouldn't havbe even mentioned the extra string :P good deal though though!
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Page 1 of 2