locking trems are a pain to maintain and change tunings on. You can get used to them, but it doesn't change the fact that they become time consuming.

If you plan on staying in only one tuning then getting a lockking trem on a guitar would be fun. If not, then I'd advise against it.
Quote by siverstorm
locking trems are a pain to maintain and change tunings on. You can get used to them, but it doesn't change the fact that they become time consuming.

If you plan on staying in only one tuning then getting a lockking trem on a guitar would be fun. If not, then I'd advise against it.

agreed.

You also need a lot of patience with a trem
Quote by commykiller101
i like drop tuning so

You can still drop tune, just plan to stay in one tuning.
get the RGA it is awesome, i also agree get a fixed bridge and not a trem.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
which ever you like the best ?
Gear:
Jackson SL1 !
Jackson SLS3 w/ bk warpig
ibanez RGA 121 with D sonic and paf pro
peavey triple X with JJ 6L6s and celestion G12k-100
bad monkey
mxr 10 band eq
digitech hardwire dl8
paul gilbert's airplane flanger
Getting a trem or not is pure preference.

You can't change tunings really quick with a floating bridge, and the first time you change strings or tune it, it will be time consuming.
If you get a decent trem however, that will be the only time it's time consuming. After the initial frustration you develop your own quick ways of changing strings/tuning and it becomes an absolute breeze. I change strings/stretch/tune within 15 minutes, far less than everyone seems to believe it takes.

With a fixed bridge, you'll change tunings easier and there's less hassle involved when you're inexperienced. You lose the fun factor of having a floating bridge.

Then there's the feel to think about as well...

Long story short, try it and see what you think. Take into account what people said about tuning and playing styles, but DO NOT treat their opinions as absolute facts.

About string gauges, most people seem to like .09's or .10's for standard E/Drop D, and from there it varies. A lot.