So my birthday's coming up and I need a new acoustic. However, my family is kind of in dire straits, so they're all getting together to buy me a cheapie to bang around on since all I've got left is a '70s lotus covered in stickers (Martin got jacked, Guild got stomped... I have terrible luck). So here's what I'm looking for:

-A guitar suited mostly for acoustic emo and indie stuff, the Spill Canvas, Dashboard Confessional, Bright Eyes, Elliott Smith, etc. So I need something that's good with fingerpicking and has a balanced tone, because there are lots of open strings with acoustic emo stuff.

-A solid top at least.

-A cutaway preferably, not an issue if it's a traditional dreadnought though.

-Preferably no electronics. For this price I don't even wanna **** around with that stuff.

-Cosmetically, I'd like it to look vintage (Or better yet be vintage) With this kind of bridge (I've got a thing for antiques). Of course, cosmetics are the last things I'm worried about, so don't recommend a guitar if it's just got that look I'm going for and nothing else.

I'm very partial to something used, since I've had a Martin and a Guild before, so I want something halfway decent.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1mpQMMfty4

I want this. find that.
Dickless.
Last edited by MetalMilitia212 at Jul 6, 2010,
I have no idea what kind of guitar that is, so I can't help you there.

I stand by it, and most people I know agree, but it doesn't matter what style you want to play. Get good enough, and any guitar will work for any genre.

Take a look at Yamaha, as has been recommended in about a hundred threads, it seems. They tend to rule the world of low-budget guitars. They are great guitars for the price, and are very consistant from model to model. Other brands to consider as well are Alvarez and Washburn, but Yamaha is the most popular choice.
"Here I sit, beneath a lonely line."

~iband48's signature
under $300? yamaha fg700s or fg720s. no cutaway, but any guitar i've tried at that price range with a cutaway is a pretty low quality guitar.
Look at my sig. My FS720S is the only acoustic I will ever need.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
I'm playing a Yamaha APX-500 that cost exactly 300.00. Acoustic-electric, cutaway, small body. Fine little axe.
Go to a big music chain store like Guitar Center if you've got one available...You'll be surprised by what's available for that amount.
i wouldn't recommend this guitar unless you only play plugged in. unplugged the sound is thin and cardboardy - about what you'd expect from an all-laminate guitar with a thin body. and keep in mind that i'm a huge yamaha fan.

Quote by Bikewer
I'm playing a Yamaha APX-500 that cost exactly 300.00. Acoustic-electric, cutaway, small body. Fine little axe.
Go to a big music chain store like Guitar Center if you've got one available...You'll be surprised by what's available for that amount.
you can't go wrong with a seagull, but they don't make any for under $300. the op might find a B stock entourage on ebay if he doesn't mind not being able to play the guitar first. i see there are a couple sellers on ebay with what seems to be new seagulls under $300 whose listing titles all end with "In Box!" i'm not familiar with either seller - one had 99.5% positive feedback and the other had 99.6%.

Quote by dave1701
How bout a seagull?
Entourage is $320 on MF without electronics
Yamahas are really nice

I have found a few Epiphones nice for some emo/idie stuff. Not too much warmth in the sound that i like but they have a nice treble ring
The little Yamaha is certainly no Martin, but to my old ears it sounds just fine. And if I'm playing out....That's why God created amplifiers.

Being an aficionado of inexpensive instruments (I build cigar-box guitars and other instruments) I have sort of moved past looking at pure sound and rather am more concerned with performance.
Many of the old blues masters made matchless music on guitars that many folks would turn up their noses at if they were hanging on a pawn-shop wall.

Oh, I have nothing against a terrific axe....I just can't afford 'em. My cigar-box resonator guitar sounds really, seriously good (IMHO) and it cost me about 30 bucks.