I have an Ibanez RGR421EXFM. All that fancy nonsense naming just means it has a mahogany body and a flame maple top with a maple neck and rosewood fretboard. I have been looking to upgrade from some of the abysmal factory hardware it is currently paired with. I play progressive, metal, metalcore, and some jazzy type stuff (August Burns Red, Opeth, Veil of Maya, Between the Buried and Me...).

The EMG passives that it comes with (not HZ's or H4's) are rather sterile sounding. I have been searching for a good passive bridge pickup with emphasis on mids and good chunk for palm muting. The DiMarzio Super Distortion seems to get great reviews wherever I look. I am unsure on a neck pickup. I want something with good cleans that has a good bell like tones, but can handle distortion. I was wondering if the SD Jazz, SD SHPR-2, or SHP90-1. I want pickups that can play big chords and have all of the notes ring out. My EMG's really cut out the first three strings when I play such chords now.

I play through a stock Peavey VK112 (which I plan on modifying in the future also).

P.S. For the future, I also plan on getting new tuners and changing the nut. Is there a good thread for info on these or different nuts? Thanks a lot.
Bridge pickup wise, I would suggest the DiMarzio D-Activators actually haha. It sounds to be quite up your alley. I played a set of them and I was surprised on how good they sounded to my ears. Another suggestion might be the D-Activator X's. Two of the four bands that you listen to use active pickups. And D-Activators sounded like less-sterile active pickups with more mids. Actually I remembered that BTBAM in fact uses D-Activators. I haven't tried the X's, but I've heard very good things about them with regards to what you're going for.

Neck pickup wise, there's a ton of pickups you could go for. The SD Jazz might do the trick, but so could a DiMarzio Air Norton, Liquifire, D-Activator Neck (maybe) and a couple others.

What's your price range? If you're willing to dish out a lot of money, I could suggest some Bareknuckle pickups that would be your cup of tea as well.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
for the bridge, i wouldn't get the super distortion for you, i'd get something with a more modern metal sound like the d activator (if you want chunky active emg style tone with tons of gain) and the d sonic (also chunky, really clear tight sound), they're both good for those kinds of metal. for the neck, the d activator neck i guess would be your choice if you were to go with the d activator bridge, and if you went with the d sonic, it's typically paired with the air norton
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Well the main things I want from my bridge pu are excellent mids, the most important part, and decent distortion. I have looked at bk pu's, but they are not in my price range. And I really don't want to hack up my body just to put some batteries in it... On another note, BTBAM used EMG's, but in the Great Misdirect, they are using stock PRS's. I really want to stay away from actives for this guitar. I might get actives on another guitar in the future, but not this one... So actives aside, what do you say for a MID-y bridge pickup?
not to be trollenz but none of those where prog metal =P but look up some seymour duncan's O.o i have a jazz pick-up in the bridge and the sounds just AMAZING! and dont forget that how close/far your pick-up is from the strings can add stuff
Norton, Breed Bridge, or Tone Zone in the bridge and Air Norton or SH-2 Jazz in the neck, depending on how much gain you need in the neck. Thank me later. The Super Distortion is one of my favorite pickups but it's pretty high gain and might be a little muddy for you. I have one that I've put into most of my guitars and it sounded good in all of them. (S540, RG550, Explorer, SG, Les Paul) the only one it didn't sound good in was my Highway One strat.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

If it was me, I would get a DiMarzio Tone Zone for the bridge, and a SD SH-11 Custom Custom for the neck. As for the nut, Graphtech all the way baby, I've never found any other product to make more of a difference in tone, sustain, and tuning stability for $60(nut and saddles). I swear by their products, and have em on both my guitars, electric and acoustic.

As for tuners, Gotech or Schaler you can't go wrong.
Quote by ethan_hanus
If it was me, I would get a DiMarzio Tone Zone for the bridge, and a SD SH-11 Custom Custom for the neck. As for the nut, Graphtech all the way baby, I've never found any other product to make more of a difference in tone, sustain, and tuning stability for $60(nut and saddles). I swear by their products, and have em on both my guitars, electric and acoustic.

As for tuners, Gotech or Schaler you can't go wrong.

Thanks for the tips. I have heard good things about Schalers. I haven't heard about the Graphtech gear, but I will definitely look into it ^^
"Would you tell Picasso to sell his guitars?"

VK Wiki
To put more prog bands on there, how bout Periphery, Elitist, Circle of Contempt, and Born of Osiris? Also, Underoath's tone is really Middy (as per the Define the Great Line era) and I like it along with Misha's a lot. Any more input on it?
"Would you tell Picasso to sell his guitars?"

VK Wiki