Hey all,

been searching around and I'm hoping for some good advice towards pickups for getting close to pulling off megadeth, kyuss, and some mastodon.

Running an SSS strat through a blackstar ht-5 mini-stack + a Bad Monkey OD.

Looking for a single coil style for the bridge, but the wood might be cut out for a humbucker and I could just buy a new pickguard, too. Although, I don't want to.

I've only looked at the Seymour Duncan Hot Rails so far, anything else? Should I try to get a more metal tone with pickups, or get a TS909?

Appreciate any advice,

Thanks
(I could just be terrible at EQ, who knows!)
American Strat
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Check out the Fralin single-coil sized buckers. They are expensive, but damn do they sound good.

http://www.fralinpickups.com/

I have the split-blades in my MIM strat and it really fattened the tone up.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Hot Rails isn't going to sound quite like a humbucker.

Take off your pickguard and see if it's routed for a humbucker, then cut it out and stick one in there. Look into DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan for 'buckers. If you wanna go booteek you can check out Rockmonkey, WCR, Fillmore, and a few others.

The Vypyr wouldn't benefit from a Tubescreamer, either.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta

Take off your pickguard and see if it's routed for a humbucker, then cut it out and stick one in there. Look into DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan for 'buckers. If you wanna go booteek you can check out Rockmonkey, WCR, Fillmore, and a few others.

He said he was using a Blackstar ht-5 even though his sig says Vypyr 75.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Quote by cdr_salamander
Check out the Fralin single-coil sized buckers. They are expensive, but damn do they sound good.

http://www.fralinpickups.com/

I have the split-blades in my MIM strat and it really fattened the tone up.

Sure do look neat, i'll have to watch the youtube vids.

Quote by Raijouta

Now, when you say routed...do I look to see if there's physical space or...? I'll search on the forums...this has probably been asked.

(Sold the vypyr, just haven't changed my sig.)
American Strat
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Just know that if you do the single-coil sized buckers, you will have to change your pots to. I think you will need the 5k pots, can't remember. I had my tech do everything.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, and EMG all sell prewired Strat pickguards that can make this very easy and relatively easy and inexpensive (compared to buying individual parts and paying a tech). Just search your favorite retail website for the brand you like and “prewired”.
Quote by cdr_salamander
Just know that if you do the single-coil sized buckers, you will have to change your pots to. I think you will need the 5k pots, can't remember. I had my tech do everything.

Didn't even think about this...thanks

Quote by jpnyc

Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, and EMG all sell prewired Strat pickguards that can make this very easy and relatively easy and inexpensive (compared to buying individual parts and paying a tech). Just search your favorite retail website for the brand you like and “prewired”.

That's pretty awesome
American Strat
Peavey Vypyr 75w
bareknuckle pickups sinner suite.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by AcousticMirror
bareknuckle pickups sinner suite.

I second this. You could order a prewired pickguard with a sinner in the bridge, and trilogy suites in the other positions. Get all the pickups zinc plated and wow......

Good thing about using boutique hand wound single coils in your strat for metal is that your tone will be quite unique.

I have trilogies in my strat and can play doom metal with it.... Still has the bottom end chug but has a nice top end bite to it and of course has that bell like single coil sound present
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works